The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

It does have the feel of them trying to job him out on the way out, doesn't it?

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the fight. It's remarkable how Hendricks has gone from being the champion to being a glorified jobber in the space of just a few years.

• Paid Members

I honestly think those wars with Robbie Lawler ruined him. He hasn't been quite right since for me.Ā 

Hendricks isn't a guy you think of as getting into wars but he's had his share of tough scraps. The two with Lawler stand out but immediately before that he had 5 gruelling rounds vs GSP and another war with Carlos Condit. That's a rough schedule to go Condit, GSP, Lawler, Lawler 4 fights in a row. And since then he's suffered the KOs to Wonderboy and Boetsch.Ā 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Georges St-Pierreā€: Finally signing my UFC 217 Bout Agreement vs. Michael Bisping for Nov. 4th at MSG - Get ready for a big night in NYC!!!

Shame it's not Romero. Then there could've been a joke about, given the time difference, Bisping seeing the wrong kind of fireworks on Nov. 5th.

As per the Observer, the plan for UFC 217 (MSG) is Bisping vs. GSP and Cyborg vs. Holm as the top two fights, with the idea of drawing from two different audiences to maximize the buy rate.

Throw in Cody vs. TJ, and Cody is angling for the MSG date for that fight, and UFC 217 could be another loaded MSG card. Of course, the downside to that is the next few PPV's pay the price for having so many big fights put on the one card.

Ā 

• Paid Members

I read somewhere that the plan was Miocic vs Cain for 216 but it seems like that's taking ages to get finalised for whatever reason.Ā 

They were trying to get Khabib vs Ferguson on that MSG card as well but Khabib's team said he won't be ready by November.Ā 

Hard to think what they can put on 216 really.Ā 

Oh, Jon Jones posted this FWIW...

image.jpg

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I read somewhere that the plan was Miocic vs Cain for 216 but it seems like that's taking ages to get finalised for whatever reason.Ā 

I presume Miocic's contract issues have yet to be worked out. Once they, I expect we'll get an idea of who his next title defence will be against.

I think I read Cyborg offering Holm out at 219, so presuming that takes place on that card I could see:

216 - Dillashaw vs Garbrandt, Gusty vs Oezdemir

217 - Bisping vs GSP, Edgar vs Holloway, JJ vs Namajunas

218 - Miocic vs Cain, Khabib vs Ferguson

219 - Cyborg vs Holm, Woodley vs Lawler II

Not a chance that all pans out, but it's fun to guess.

• Paid Members

He's not a PPV draw, and whilst he is a good draw in Cleveland at the gate I don't know if he would do similar business elsewhere. His issueĀ probably has to do with him being as big /little of a draw as a lot of guys that he has walked through, yet getting less than or similarly compensated in comparison to them. Like you say though CB, both sides have a point and hopefully they can come to a compromise fairly soon.Ā 

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

Is Stipe's current contract coming to an end?Ā Is that why they're having issues now?

I don't know if it's coming to an end. What I do know is that as a rule, the UFC have some kind of championship clause in their contracts, designed to stop a fighter from winning a title and then simply leaving. I don't know specifically what the clause entails but it involves renegotiating the contract of a fighter who wins a title. In Stipeā€™s case, he went from $65,000/$65,000 at UFC 198, when he won the heavyweight title, to a flat $600,000 payoff at UFC 203 and UFC 211. Where Stipe is unhappy is that at UFC 203, he got paid less than his opponent, Alistair Overeem; Stipe got $600,000 whilst Overeem got $800,000. Stipe is especially unhappy about that because he was the big local draw. I know Stipe wants a better deal but whether that means more money or just that heā€™s always paid more than his opponent, I donā€™t know.

Archived