Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members

Most of the top riders will try and ride with a broken collarbone. A couple of years ago Jorge Lorenzo broke his collarbone in Free Practice 1 on the Friday at Brno in the Czech Republic. Was flown to see his surgeon in Spain on the Saturday. Had an operation to set it and flew back to Brno. Had to pass the fitness test to ride in the race, part of the test was he had to do 20 press ups. Passed the test, started 14th on the grid and finished 7th. He had to be lifted off the bike at the end of the race. Like you say, a different breed. 

• Paid Members

The guy who broke his collar bone was a Moto3 rider and it happened during practice. Looked pretty horrible didn’t it!

They certainly are a different breed. Last season Alex Rins broke his ankle but still raced the following week. Then the race after that he suffered a double fracture to his wrist so decided to get surgery and heal up..... for a few weeks..... before he was back again. Also don’t forget Rossi raced quite a few races last season with a broken leg - just imagine the bravery required to do that, absolutely incredible. 

Yesterdays race was superb. It really is a golden era for the sport at the moment. Shame Zarco got gobbled up towards the end but that was always going to happen. Dovi and Márquez battling until the last corner as usual - fantastic stuff

• Paid Members

Thought it was a great race today. One of the more entertaining in quite some time. There were lots of battles going on and I thought it was great. I feel sorry for both Haas drivers, obviously something going on with the pit team, but the timing of the safety car was brilliant. I loved the fact that Vettel came out of his pit stop in front of Hamilton leaving him bewildered as to how he dropped to 2nd! Oh how we laughed...

Looking forward to Bahrain already!

• Paid Members

I didn’t think they were being petty or petulant. I thought it was quite funny actually when they were talking about Kimi and he was just staring off into the distance. Both Vettel and Hamilton can be like children at times but I didn’t see that today. I saw great racing and an ‘as usual’ press conference and media paddock after the race.

The only person who pissed me off today was Hulkenburg who needs to get back in his fucking box. He apparently has a column in Bild and today he said that “F1 without grid girls is like Tom without Jerry”. Twice today my mate and I applauded because we saw two women (two whole women!) mechanics in the pits. Two women in a sea of [predominantly white] men. And he has the audacity to want to bring back grid girls?! When I see more of a variety of women on the track, in the garages, in the commentary boxes, in the pits and on the podium then you can talk to me about bringing the grid girls back.

• Paid Members

I think the press conference I saw, was from Saturday. There was some comment made about Hamilton having a "party" mode on his Car. It all got a little silly. With even Kimi being seemingly embarrassed for the other two. Or he just didn't care. Difficult to tell with Kimi.

• Paid Members

Actually it's really easy to tell with Kimi. No. Fucks. Given. Ever. 

As for Hamilton and Vettel, it's early in the season, enjoy the childish banter. By the time we've got half way through and they've had a few clashes on the track they won't be speaking to each other except to call one another cheats and the atmosphere will be terrible. 

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed yesterdays race personally. While I still think Hamilton will win the championship, it showed that the Ferrari and Red Bulls have enough in them to make a fight of it. 

It did really highlight the issues the drivers have when following a car though. The Mercs were obviously the fastest cars on the track, but once Hamilton was behind Vettel I don't think he ever managed to get closer than half a second to him. 

• Paid Members

I think that is a fair observation KC. That won't be remembered as one of the best races of the season at the end of the season but right now it's good to see the cars on the track. F1 is always about so much more than the on track action. The little battles, the luck, and the strategy are what makes it. Yesterday's race had all three of those ingredients. The main little battles of yesterday were Haas v their equipment, and Verstappen v The edge of grip. The luck was obvious, and the strategy was influenced by qualifying. The 2 Ferrari's were able to get the better of Hamilton because of Bottas's crash and subsequent grid position. F1 really is a team game and Bottas really let his team down yesterday.