Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

I watched the Formula E Miami grand prix last night. I had no idea it was the fifth race, either I've been looking in the wrong places or there's been no real media coverage thus far.

The high frequency screeching of the engines almost had me reaching for the remote at the beginning, and the cars looked very flimsy which I found off putting. However, after five or ten laps these two gripes subsided somewhat.

The Miami street circuit was so narrow that I initially thought it was impossible to overtake on. There were some spectacular aerial shots of the circuit and I was surprised by how many fans were there.

It took me a while to get used to it, but eventually I came around and I was totally enjoying it by the time it got into the final few laps.

I'm often a pessimist when it comes to new things. I'd been reading quite a lot about Formula E last summer and wanted to really get into it. I was disappointed when I first started watching last night but thankfully it quickly grew on me.

I'm looking forward to watching the next race. Are there any fans of it on here?

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fW5hBAJ7ZM

Big crash for Castro Nevis in practice for the Indy 500. He did another 11 laps after this!

That's crazy-scary how that flipped up as soon as he rotated backwards.  Hope they check the new bodywork packages carefully after this.  Really hope we don't see any more of that during this month.

Formula E - went to the Long Beach GP while on holiday in California.  It was an amazing experience.  It was free entry, paddock passes were really cheap too and you were able to get up close with literally all the drivers.  Mahindra (Senna and Chandhok's team) actually let us in to their garage for a quick look around.  The race probably wasn't as good as some of the ones earlier in the season, but we had a really fantastic time.

I know that you have to buy tickets for the two London races, but if you do get the paddock access as well, it will be well worth it.

• Paid Members

The Indy 500 is happening on 24th May. Could be an interesting race.

I had a chance to go to the Monaco leg of the Formula E championship. It was held last weekend. Sadly my co attendees let me down. We had free tickets too. Missed out!

Going to do my best to get to the London leg. Something about them running around Battersea Park  is really intriguing. It's also the final round of the championship.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/calendar/2015-london/london-circuit.aspx

Ticket prices seem very affordable.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/35004E59F4107AEC?did=ukregpresale

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

The Monaco Formula E race is on Eurosport 2 at the moment. Why are they changing cars during the race? I've not noticed that before.

Live WTC is on after the Formula E highlights.Their at the Nordeschleife.

With Sabine Schmitz guest racing this weekend. In her backyard.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/events/indy500/event-info/live-grid

That's the starting grid for Sundays Indy 500. it's the 99th running of the race.

In the past the race has been open to anyone who can meet the entry requirements. Is that not the case anymore?

The grid seems to be exclusively made up of the current Indy Car championship teams.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Wasn't really sure where to put this post but I thought here would make more sense...

I’m taking part in Great Ormond Street Hospital’s F1 Challenge this week. Some people dropped out and, as they know I’m such a huge F1 fan, they asked if I’d like to take part.

My mum and I have joined as a team and our challenge is to raise as much money in the run-up to the British GP, then on Friday 3 July, we will be at Silverstone for the day doing a bucket collect around the circuit in a bid to top up our final totals. The team that comes top of the podium with the highest overall total will be crowned F1 champions and will be awarded an exclusive tour of the Lotus F1 Factory!

As we’ve only been given a week to do this then we’d really like to raise as much money as possible but it’s all very last minute. So I’m appealing to you to donate a little to the fundraising as I would LOVE a tour of the factory. Please help by visiting this page:

https://www.justgiving.com/F1-challenge

Thanks guys! :wub: