Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

Yep Max is Jos' son. Won again today. I've only in the last year got into the junior formula but glad I did because what we're seeing emerging in Jos is a truly once in a decade talent.

I'm ojut at a mate's bday tomorrow but looking forward to coming back to skim the BTCC.

Red Bull ring is a fun track and looks great to go to for a festival like weekend.

WTCC racing on the full Nurburgring next year is insane (but great).

Edited by twelve_grand

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Kevin Ward Jr gets run over and subsequently dies during a sprint car race.

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708

Unsure what to make of that, it was really a daft thing to do, throwing a barny in the middle of an active race. Obviously people are saying Stewart is a murderer.

There are two versions of the video going around. The reving is slightly earlier on one. There is no indication at this time which video is more legit.

Elsewhere, there are some other stuff going around. One theory is that Stewart was trying to spray Ward with mud, and made an error of judgement. Other theories and rumors are much more damming in regards to intent, but these are unconfirmed at this stage.

Edited by jimufctna24

• 2 weeks later...

F1 is back this weekend with BTCC, and Indy Car for those that want more. Hamilton is trying to play psychological games which usually means he'll suffer bad luck or bin it in the the wet at Spa. In other news Max Verstappen has come on since June from nowhere to Red Bull sponsorship, to F1's newest and youngest star. As I wrote at the time he was obviously immensly talented but I couldn't conceive they would put him in a F1 car straight away in this era of near nil testing.  

Bigjag - a good reason to watch the feeder classes when you have time is the great racing. But occasionally you get to see some immensely special talents be born!

Edited by twelve_grand

Now come on then - he was unlucky according to the team! Seriously he's a weird one given he's won a GP in an uncompetitive car but now is alomost a pure pay driver.

How's about this for getting it wrong  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaaYW5uBB-o

Those crashes over the sausage curbs are scary because it's only a matter of luck he doesn't t-bone/decapitate another driver.

Edited by twelve_grand

Another controversial race!  Rosberg getting booed was hilarious, British fans just don't like German drivers.  Mind you, sounds like German fans don't either.

Rosberg's face on the podium showed he knew he was going to get a bollocking from the team.  Surprised at how vehement they were in public though.  I feel kind of sorry for him, he's in the lead in the world championships and yet must feel the team's not behind him 100%

Bottas is a future world champion, I'm sure of it now.  He's quality.

Was a cracking race, Rosberg knew he had no chance of getting past Lewis, and you could have told by the facial expressions of Totto Wolff and Niki Lauda alone that there was going to be some serious shit going down in the post race de-brief.

They are reporting now on BBC that the FIA could re-convene the stewards and options are open from a DQ for the race for Rosberg to a massive grid demotion for the next couple of GP's.

Nice of the BBC F1 team to get into the spirit and do the Ice Bucket Challenge (shame Suzi put a dark t-shirt on though) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTyyZKBylFs

• 2 months later...

Well, last race of the season, and the championship to decide.

I can't help but think that, if Nico were to win, it would always be seen as a tainted result due to the double points rule, which literally nobody apart from Bernie wanted.  Lewis deserves to win, he's won the most races and been the better driver overall.

I hope next season brings some big changes - Bernie needs to step down or be forced out.  I don't know who would take over - Eddie Jordan?  Ross Brawn?  It needs to be someone that is generally trusted and liked.  

With the big switcharound of top drives for next season, it really feels like the end of an era today.

It is a shame that the season is ending with the teams pulling out of F1, especially since it has been an exciting season for the most part.

Did anyone else watch yesterday's Formula E? The first race in China ended with a huge crash that Heidfeld walked away from and yesterday's race was full of minor accidents. As interesting as the electric cars are the street courses are a fucking shambles. Saying that though I would still like to see the race in London next year.

With the big switcharound of top drives for next season, it really feels like the end of an era today.

I know what you mean. But 2013 felt like the end of an era. Seb and R.B's domination ended. Plus, Seb's domination within R.B ended in 2014, with the emergence of Danny Ric. It was quite a shift.

I am a dribbling Lewis fanboy, so I might be a tad biased, but I really think he deserved it over Nico.

- 11-5 in race wins to Lewis

- 10-4 ahead when both finished to Lewis

- 3 DNF's each (Lewis was also compromised twice in qualifying with mechanical issues)

Lewis showed bottle off the line today. His qualifying has been sub-par this year, but his race day performances have been consistent as they come in 2014.

Lewis, Alonso and D.R have been the stars of 2014 in my opinion. 

Edited by jimufctna24

I was laying bricks all through the build-up yesterday but as soon as Hamilton got off the line I could relax and enjoy my beer. I'm suffering today though.

I'm certain double-points will be consigned to the 'didn't quite work' pile for the rest of eternity, thank god, and Hamilton can go on and win another one or two championships.

Edited by King Coconut

Yeah, I think even Bernie said it'd probably be dropped.

I expect some movement in the driver market today.  I'm really hoping Button sticks 2 fingers up at MacLaren and walks.  He's shown in the last half of the season that he's still a top level driver and they've treated him like shit.

He and Alonso could end up taking a year out bizarrely.  I agree with Eddie that Alonso's heart is not in a move to MacLaren.