Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members

Didn't like the way the Hamilton/Rosberg thing seemed to dominate everything this weekend. It all seemed very childish. Monaco is always an interesting spectacle. Motors TV are showing the Historic Grand Prix of Monaco. Its brilliant seeing these classic cars being used for their designed purpose.

• Paid Members

Haha you can have him! I do love the rivalry that's going on right now and it's not biased by the team like it was with Vettel/Webber. I love how they're just letting them get on with it instead of having team orders or whatever. I might not be a Hamilton fan but I'm liking Mercedes right now.

• Paid Members

Our Lewis might be a temperamental fanny, but at least he's not a cheat!

Monaco is the worst race on the calendar. It used to get by on how impressive it was visually but even the novelty of that has worn off by the end of Friday practice!

Yeah, Lewis vs Nico has given F1 a much needed injection in 2014. Spain and Bahrain were 2 stunning races. As a Lewis fan I actually kind of miss 2013, at least I could relax a bit during those races as Seb sailed off into the distance.

Monaco is far from my favorite circuit, but it has so much sentimental value, I would not like it taken off the F1 schedule

• Paid Members

Lewis isn't a cheat? How about Melbourne 2009 when he was stripped of his points because he'd lied about Trulli passing/being let through? That wasn't just the team but driver as well going against the rules on that one.

Also, I don't think it's the worst race on the calendar. It's definitely not the best but I would rather see Valencia off the calendar than Monaco. I think Monaco's hit or miss - it's a boring parade with hardly any passing unless there's an accident of some sort which makes it more interesting - but Valencia has to be the biggest snore fest and has never been a favourite with both fans and teams.

Edit: Also, calling him "our" Lewis really does wind me up in the same way that I'm accused of being unpatriotic/racist because I don't support him. I think it's disrespectful to other Brits as well as international fans AND him to call him "our".

Edited by Monkee

Lewis isn't a cheat? How about Melbourne 2009 when he was stripped of his points because he'd lied about Trulli passing/being let through? That wasn't just the team but driver as well going against the rules on that one.

At the risk of coming across as a screaming fanboy (which I probably am). I always felt he was a tad naive there. I think he listened to his team a little too much. Lewis does not strike me as the sneaky type

Same goes for Nico, I do not think he cheated on Saturday. I agree Valencia was the shits, the 2012 race was the exception rather than the rule.

• Paid Members

Stupid yes but naive I'm not so sure. If he'd been a wet-around-the-ears rookie trying to make a good impression in F1 the yes. But he's been in Motorsport for a long time at that point so there was no excuse. He may have been led by the team but he was a big boy and was responsible for his own decisions just like Nelson Piquet Jr and his actions. I'm not saying everyone's squeaky clean but that's exactly my point.

Edited by Monkee

Stupid yes but naive I'm not so sure.

Without going into things too much, I do believe Lewis to be naive, even in 2009

Lewis was very sheltered growing up, and McLaren really work their drivers hard. I am not claiming he is some victim, he got all the opportunities a young driver could ask for, but there were effects of that.

Since joining Mercedes there has been a change in Lewis's personality, yes he is still outspoken, but he seems a lot less naive. When interviewed he always pauses these days and thinks before he says.

Lewis is no saint as the tweeting at SPA 2012 proved (when he should have kept quiet), but I do not think he is sneaky.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Also, I don't think it's the worst race on the calendar. It's definitely not the best but I would rather see Valencia off the calendar than Monaco. I think Monaco's hit or miss - it's a boring parade with hardly any passing unless there's an accident of some sort which makes it more interesting - but Valencia has to be the biggest snore fest and has never been a favourite with both fans and teams.

Edit: Also, calling him "our" Lewis really does wind me up in the same way that I'm accused of being unpatriotic/racist because I don't support him. I think it's disrespectful to other Brits as well as international fans AND him to call him "our".

I'll give you Valencia being shit but that's just what it is. It's not over-hyped in the same way Monaco is, every year, only for it to seriously fail to deliver any racing, every year.

Though to be fair, there was one tiny bit of excitement this year when the Hulk produced that incredible pass.

As for Lewis, he didn't cheat. He was silly enough to do what the team told him. Our Lewis would never cheat.

Can't believe how riled you got there. You've got some serious nationality issues. It's not my fault that your unpatriotic. Us Swiss love our Lewis. So should you.

Edited by tiger_rick

The last few laps of Monaco this year were ace. In fact, probably the best Monaco for years. But generally, it's about the FPS shots of the cars careering towards the corners that's the interest.

Personally I think Nico fucked Lewis. Never trust a German driver.

• Paid Members
I'll take Nico over Hamilton any day. The last British driver I liked was DC. I like a good German driver, me.

Even to this day I still love Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

Great name, smug bastard, German. He had it all.

• Paid Members
Can't believe how riled you got there. You've got some serious nationality issues. It's not my fault that your unpatriotic. Us Swiss love our Lewis. So should you.

That proper made me laugh actually :D

I'll take Nico over Hamilton any day. The last British driver I liked was DC. I like a good German driver, me.

Me too - Glock was my favourite.

Edited by Monkee