Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

I've been fairly quiet since Le Mans...still rather stunned by Simonsen's death. At the front, Toyota really do have major work to do. Either Audi made massive leaps forward with this evolution of the car (which I suspect is true) or Toyota didn't make the leaps they anticipated, but the guys from K

A lot of it might depend on if Seb (and that knob rash Helmut Marko) has any sort of say in who his team-mate will be, would he want someone as quick as Kimi as a team-mate next year? Would Kimi want to go to a team where he would not be a clear no.1 driver and also remember how much PR work Red Bull drivers have to do, which is something Kimi doesn't like doing.

I'd put my money on Riccardo getting the drive next year, he's proving to be a good hand and knows the Red Bull system (young driver program and Toro Rosso drive).

I'm not really impressed by either Torro Rosso driver to be completely honest. I'd rather someone like Paul Di Resta get a spot on a top team. Or bring back Kobayashi, see how close Vettel wants to get to him as a team mate.

Great night time practice on Eurosport at the moment.

Climb Dance

Fantastic video of Ari Vatanen piloting his Puegeot 405 T16 up Pikes Peak. The road has been smothered with tarmac in the years since.

Five of the best

Cheers for the links, Not seen that before, or at least not registered I had. Have a lil bit of Vatanen love from the Paris- Dakar rally 1989-1991 Where he was fantastic. Should really dig out more of him to be fair. Astonishing career and driver, not least coming back from the smash in the 1985 Rally of Argentina to continue to kick arse!

I'm not really impressed by either Torro Rosso driver to be completely honest. I'd rather someone like Paul Di Resta get a spot on a top team. Or bring back Kobayashi, see how close Vettel wants to get to him as a team mate.

Di Resta has been impressive at times this year, the drive in Canada was inspired.

Riccardo shows flashes of potential, but JEV seems the more steady of the two. I see Kimi going to Red Bull, and one of the Toro Rosso's drivers going to Lotus, possibly even both as I cannot see Romain been kept around much longer even if the team principal is his manager.

I think Massa will be the next to go, Hulkenberg, Bianchi and maybe even Rosberg could be in the frame to replace him if rumors are to be believed.

I hate to say as I am a huge Kimi fan and by no means a Vettel fan, but I expect Vettel to soundly beat Kimi next year at Red Bull. Kimi is getting up there in age and I fear Vettel will out qualify him by enough of a margin to hold him off during races. Vettel for me has been the best driver on the grid so far in 2013, that is the first time I have felt that way towards him.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
Great night time practice on Eurosport at the moment.

Climb Dance

Fantastic video of Ari Vatanen piloting his Puegeot 405 T16 up Pikes Peak. The road has been smothered with tarmac in the years since.

Five of the best

Cheers for the links, Not seen that before, or at least not registered I had. Have a lil bit of Vatanen love from the Paris- Dakar rally 1989-1991 Where he was fantastic. Should really dig out more of him to be fair. Astonishing career and driver, not least coming back from the smash in the 1985 Rally of Argentina to continue to kick arse!

Your welcome. Some absolutely fantastic footage there. Yes Vatanen is a legend.

What about giving Sebastien Loeb the second Red Bull seat? He's tested an F1 car before and he is already involved with Red bull.

The gloves come off at Pikes Peak

Deltawing documentary on SS4.Repeated at 0100 and 0400.

Edited by BigJag

Loeb just signed on for Citroen in the WTCC next season so that rules him out. He is at the age now anyway where it would have to have happened by now. As fit as he is, 40 (by the time next season comes round) is definitely the twilight years of any F1 career.

On the subject of the DeltaWing I like that Nissan pulled out of the project and then came up with this as their electric entry for next years Le Mans.

KFJ4uiwH.jpg

WPkywz3P.jpg

Loeb was also miles off the pace when he tested a Toro Rosso a few years ago with a view to doing a few races towards the tail end of a season (I think it was 2009?) and doesn't hold a Super Licence, which would make things rather difficult. Most young drivers can get that through their junior single seater career but Loeb has nothing in the way of single seater experience. I think even for Le Mans last year, he was ranked as a Silver driver...

I'm not entirely sure Nissan pulled out of the project, more that they felt their work was done and Munoz wanted to continue and take it in a different direction, including making a coupe version for next year's USCR. This electric racer looks very similar, so they clearly feel that design concept is one that works for the experimental cars. If they manage to not only pull this off, but make it competitive, then I'll be very impressed. So, with it being Nissan, I expect to be very impressed. ;)

Silverstone, by all accounts, is very wet this morning, though the forecast I've seen suggests it'll be dry for qualifying and the race.

Edited by LariatTom

• Paid Members
Loeb just signed on for Citroen in the WTCC next season so that rules him out. He is at the age now anyway where it would have to have happened by now. As fit as he is, 40 (by the time next season comes round) is definitely the twilight years of any F1 career.

On the subject of the DeltaWing I like that Nissan pulled out of the project and then came up with this as their electric entry for next years Le Mans.

KFJ4uiwH.jpg

WPkywz3P.jpg

He's 40!!!. I feel sick.

Never knew he didn't have a Super licence.

That Deltawing homage should be ii interesting. I'm pretty sure the original engineering team is still involved.

Oh well Pikes Peak should be fun on Sunday.

How Loeb Copes with The race to the Clouds

Amazing scenery.

Electric Challenge

The Monster of Pikes Peak speaks!

Dirt vs Asphalt

Loeb smashed the record on Sunday. 8m 13s. Knocked a minute off the old record. Plus was nearly a minute ahead of the next driver.

POV video of Loebs run

Wow! Definetly watch that video.

He kept an average speed of nearly 90mph up a mountain!

Pikes Peak Flat to the Floor: Great picture. Great article.

Edited by BigJag

• 2 weeks later...