Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members
As Loki rightly said, even his very last meaningful act in a racing car was shameful.

Was it?

Vettel was miles quicker than Schumacher (didn't he finish 12 seconds ahead of Schumacher in the end?) and Schumacher wanted to score points in his final GP. Considering the conditions and the difference in pace, it seemed sensible rather than shameful. Why risk a collision?

Edit - are we saying that Massa has driven shamefully several times this year when he's let Alonso through? Or Mark Webber? Or the Toro Rosso drivers who always let Red Bull through?

Edited by Jaffa

As Loki rightly said, even his very last meaningful act in a racing car was shameful.

Was it?

Vettel was miles quicker than Schumacher (didn't he finish 12 seconds ahead of Schumacher in the end?) and Schumacher wanted to score points in his final GP. Considering the conditions and the difference in pace, it seemed sensible rather than shameful. Why risk a collision?

Edit - are we saying that Massa has driven shamefully several times this year when he's let Alonso through? Or Mark Webber? Or the Toro Rosso drivers who always let Red Bull through?

I can see where they are coming from though.

A driver simply letting another from a different team is a bit like a keeper in a football match standing there and allowing someone to just kick it into the goal and not making any attempt to save it (could you imagine if this happened in the EPL!).

Schumacher is employed and paid by Mercedes to get the best result he can for that team, not for someone he might be chummy with. Yes he was slower but its your job to defend and keep your position (within reason), not to simply get out of someones way like he did (if however he was instructed by the team to let Seb through then fair enough, but I've yet to see / hear this being the case and doubt they would tell him to anyway).

With respects to Massa and Webber, team orders are allowed in F1 so theres no harm done there. With Toro Rosso, everyone knows that they play second fiddle to Red Bull, no matter how many times those teams try to make out they dont so no one should be the least bit surprised when that happens.

Was it?

Yes, it was. I'm not denying it was legal but it was shameful. Schumacher, although most famous for being a cheating cockpot, is also very well known as being a bastard to get past, irrelevant of any speed differential. He's never rolled over like that for anyone. Even his team-mates usually have a hard time passing him, which can only mean he did it to unfairly assist a competitor's car because it was being driven by someone who learned to drive at Schumi's school of karting-kuntery.

Your second point refers to team orders. No problems there.

Was it?

I remember after that he fought tooth and nail with the next car who tried to pass him, so its a fair point really.

The Torro Rosso thing is fairly shameful too. Put it all together, and you've got 4 cars in the field that Vettel is allowed to swan past because of who he is. Nice work if you can get it.

• Paid Members

Considering that it was Schumachers last race and the result he wanted for himself and his team, i'm not surprised he avoided Vettel. That's all i'm saying. It may not be right, but shameful is a bit strong.

In big news, Vettel could be docked points and lose the championship according to the BBC.

Yeah, there's a green flag being waved at pit exit. This seems to be a storm in a teacup from the BBC where they're going off one mildly cryptic tweet from Alonso and it looks like the vast majority of F1 journos reckon there's a green flag there and there's no case to answer. I wouldn't trust Benson's words if my life depended on it. There are far better and more reputable sources to get F1 news...and they either have nothing on this matter, or a vague mention and then look at the evidence properly and see green flags. I honestly don't think Ferrari would want to win a world championship in a courtroom. It doesn't look good for the sport and it'll drive people away. If they're that pissed off about it, come out all guns blazing next year, give Alonso a decent car and he'll win the world title.

If that decision gets overturned and Alonso wins this year's title, I will take one of Neil's horrendous forfeits. Hold me to that.

This development looks very promising!

Looks like a green flag to me......

Apparently, under some circumstances, the flag indicator on the steering wheel has precedent over the trackside flags. His dash indicator is clearly yellow the whole time and this could well be the reason there's still been no definitive response from FIA.

Ferrari know what's right for the sport. A courtroom decision isn't what is right for the sport. They've not even said they've approached the FIA about this topic. As I said, storm in a teacup.

This is from Will Buxton a few minutes ago. Like a lot of journalists who aren't called Andrew Benson, he's fairly certain there were green flags.

An impeccable source on the inside of a haughty building in Paris confirmed green flag suggests there is no case to be answered

Tomorrow will come and pass without Ferrari lodging a complaint, that'll be the end of the matter and we can finally move on.

Edited by LariatTom

There certainly was a green flag. No disputing that. German media is suggesting that Ferrari raised the issue with the stewards during the race already and it was decided no further action was needed. It really is starting to look like Benson saw a youtube film of the overtake with a yellow light on the dash and has 'scooped' a nothing story.