Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members

I didn't think the race was very exciting at all. In fact I missed Hamiltons overtake due to me falling asleep. Often happens watching F1. There's just something unique about an F1 GP in America for me. The layout of the track is pretty amazing. That snaking set of corners made me smile everytime I saw cars flying through them. The corner where you can get multiple cars abreast is great too, I think it's the first one. That viewing platform is just wow. The whole place looks loads of fun.

Hope some of the support races show up on Motors TV. Would like to see how the tin tops do on this track.

Fanvision

Anyone used that before? Seems to be an extension of the red button stuff we can access at home.

Edited by BigJag

I wouldn't put any money on Kamui ending up at Williams. They've made it pretty clear that their drivers need to bring some money for next year, and money seems to be slightly more important than talent these days. I don't think Maldonado has been confirmed yet, but I can't see him going anywhere for 2013 and he'll be partnered by Bottas since he's been driving on most Fridays during the season. Both of those guys bring sponsorship and money, and to his credit, Bottas was a bloody good driver in the junior categories.

Kamui's F1 career could well be over since I can't see him getting a drive for 2013 now. Caterham have confirmed Charles Pic for their team next year and neither of their current drivers are certain of a job next year with Heikki pretty much accepting it's out of his hands. Senna's still in the running for the Force India seat alongside both former Toro Rosso drivers and Adrian Sutil, and that seat is hopefully being confirmed this weekend. At that point, you've only got Marussia with a seat alongside Timo Glock, and that's pretty likely to go to Max Chilton. HRT won't be around next year barring a miracle since the crew have been given redundancy notices and the factory is now empty thanks to a quote from staff in Spanish newspapers so we're out of seats.

One saving grace for Kamui could well be the WEC. Toyota will be looking to field two cars full time next year and having a Japanese driver in each car (Kobayashi and Kazuki Nakajima) could be great PR to take the fight to Audi. I wouldn't be surprised if he appears there next season, and with the WEC being an FIA World Championship it can now be viewed as a viable alternative and option for drivers who can't find a drive in F1.

• Paid Members
Fanvision

Anyone used that before? Seems to be an extension of the red button stuff we can access at home.

A friend of mine owns one of these devices - FanVision.com - and takes it with her when she's at races which great because sometimes even if you're sitting near a jumbo screen you still can't quite see the timings and on-screen graphics. It only works where you can get the FanVision signal though so you can't just sit at home or in the pub to watch a race. You can listen to team radio or audio commentary as well as watching the live feed. You can rent them at circuits (just like you could with the KangarooTV that used to be available) or you can buy your own device which works out cheaper if you're planning on going to more than one race. Thing is though, if you buy one you then also have to subscribe to the package for each race you attend so it's still not cheap.

I'm not. :D

What a race though, that had just about everything. Both guys were world champion at various points in the race, both drove brilliant races and both deserve to be champion. In equal cars, Alonso probably would have won that championship but he dragged that Ferrari kicking and screaming to the edge of being world champion. Well done to both men, congratulations to Sebastian and hopefully they have another great rivalry next season.

Great send-off for Schumacher to get to the points for his final race and a massive mention to Caterham for finishing in 10th place in the Constructors' Championship after Petrov's 11th place finish there. That might keep Heikki in a job at Caterham for next season.

I tell you what though, I'm glad there isn't another F1 race until March, I think I need that long to recover.

Schumi rolling over and letting Vettel past was an apt coda to his career. He always had to be a massive cock.

Disappointed nobody quite managed to knock Vettel out, and I have to admit he drove just well enough to get the points he needed, but I still feel Alonso deserved the championship so much more.

It's all change for next year, after a few seasons with fairly stagnant driver line-ups. Gutted for Kobayashi, who I think deserves a seat at one of the major teams, more so than Grosjean or Perez anyway.

It's all change for next year, after a few seasons with fairly stagnant driver line-ups. Gutted for Kobayashi, who I think deserves a seat at one of the major teams, more so than Grosjean or Perez anyway.

Maybe Grosjean but I think Perez has a bit more about him. He outscored Kobayashi this year, and whilst he did go off the boil a bit towards the end I think he has more room to improve. Having said that I think Perez needed another year at a mid-level team before jumping to McLaren.

Out of the young drivers though, Hulkenberg is the stand out in my view.

I like Schumi, but a large portion of fans have never warmed to him despite him being one of the best ever. The past 3 years I think have been a waste though, some will disagree but I think he should have stayed retired.

As a Lewis fan, I am glad he beat Jenson 2 seasons to 1, but am not looking forward to next year for obvious reasons.

Edited by jimufctna24

As a Lewis fan, I am glad he beat Jenson 2 seasons to 1

As a Button fan, I am glad he beat Hamilton 672 to 657 points ;)

As usual, the next 100+ days until the 2013 opener are going to drag an awful lot.

Much to look forward to next season though, probably the biggest number of driver moves for many a year with a few seats yet to be confirmed.

Yeah I was aware when Lewis crashed in Brazil, Jenson fans were going to bring that up. :angry:

As much as I feel Lewis proved he was the better driver the past year, I do like Jenson and think he is a bit of a dark horse next year if McLaren sort out their issues.

Edited by jimufctna24

Yeah, Button is my dark horse choice for the title too. If the MacLaren were as fast as this year, but just a bit more reliable, then it would have been head and shoulders the best car. With development focussed on Button's style (which is very different from Hamilton), he could end up a really strong package.

He's not the fastest driver, and doesn't have that ability to find an extra 1/100th of a second to snatch a pole position, but he's probably only 2nd to Alonso as a race driver. Whenever a race requires more than just banging the same lap out 60 times, he tends to be in the mix.

Aye Button is one of those drivers who isnt the out and out fastest driver on the grid (who I believe to be Hamilton) and does struggle when the car isnt working right for him.

However you wont find a smarter driver on the grid than Button and probably Alonso who can consistantly pick up points / podiums throughout the year. I cant even remember the last time Button actually crashed or span out of a race that was of his own making or could have been avoided by him.

And as for races in changable conditions, he is the absolute master as he has shown on many occasions now.

If McLaren develop a car more around Button for next year then he is certainly a contender for the title.