Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

Schumi only number 4 in the BBC list of drivers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19998444

It does seem that some believe it was more the car than him or the lack of decent drivers he encountered from when Miki retired until Alonso became a force. 2002 and 2004 were titles won due to the car no doubt much like Prost in 1993, he had no real competition.

I still have him number 2 in my lifetime behind Senna, but for whatever reason some do not give him the respect his statistics reflect.

• Paid Members

Indian GP this weekend. Was described on Talk Sport today as another Spa. That's very high praise. Lewis Hamilton speaks very highly of it too. This is the first time I have heard a Tilke designed track have so many good things said about it. Anyone able to explain it?

• Paid Members

It does seem that some believe it was more the car than him or the lack of decent drivers he encountered from when Miki retired until Alonso became a force. 2002 and 2004 were titles won due to the car no doubt much like Prost in 1993, he had no real competition.

I still have him number 2 in my lifetime behind Senna, but for whatever reason some do not give him the respect his statistics reflect.

The top 3 is going to be Fangio, Senna and Jim Clark. It's not exactly an insult to Schumacher to rank him behind those three.

The top 3 is going to be Fangio, Senna and Jim Clark. It's not exactly an insult to Schumacher to rank him behind those three.

It is not a insult to me.

But a lot of fans are complaining about it elsewhere, citing the Byron Young article placing him 11th and now this. For the man with the most championships and wins, some think he should be top 3 at least.

My knowledge is pretty much non-existent on F1 before 1988, so for what I have seen I have second behind Senna. Alonso and Prost maybe have a sniff at him depending on what day you ask me.

• Paid Members
Gordon Shedden also won the BTCC for the first time last week as well, which has been missed on here. Good on him, hopefully he can do it again.

Plato is dominating the championship. Right? There's been some really fun races when I have managed to catch some BTCC this season.

DTM and BTCC highlights coming up on ITV4.

WRC news. Latvala will be driving for VW next season.

Edited by BigJag

A lot of it comes down to no matter how great anyone thinks Schumacher is, a guinea pig could have won a title or two with that car, backing, and rules during the early 2000s.

Yeah I acknowledged that to be true for a few years.

2001, 2002 and 2004 were made to be very easy for him. I judge him on his efforts in 2003 and 2000.

• Paid Members
Is there a reason why no one seems to be showing the Abu Dhabi race live this weekend? Can only find highlights listed.

I thought I edited that post. I can't find the race listed on Sky F1 . They are showing all the support races and obviously showed qualifying. Do the BBC have exclusive rights to this race?

• Paid Members

Cheers. My listings must be playing up. There seems to be a gap between 0845 and 1645. Vettel starting from the back should make things interesting.

Whist watching the BBC coverage today. There was a feature on the Texas track. It seemed to get the thumbs up. This ones not designed by Tilke. They have consulted a number of past drivers to achieve this result. Interestingly it is already receiving plaudits. They mentioned that like the India track, this also has a large elevation change. Looking forward to next week.

What an insane race. As much as I dislike Vettel, he showed his genius today - a mixture of aggression and luck which has always carried him through.

Poor Lewis though. He really needs a car that doesn't conk out on him.