Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

Thought it was a good race, but not the instant classic that some have made it out to be. Part of me wonders whether Vettel would have been able to keep Hamilton behind him if they hadn't stumbled across that traffic during the early part of the lap. Hamilton seemed to be able to close the gap with the DRS but Seb was consistently quicker in the final sector to reopen that gap by another couple of tenths. I don't know if Sky showed the potential title outcomes for next week since I turned the race off not long after the podium to catch some of the Nascar finale. But in short, with a 13 point difference, these are the scenarios:

If Alonso wins (285), Vettel must finish fourth (285) or higher to be champion. Vettel wins the title on results countback.

If Alonso is second (278), Vettel must finish seventh (279) or higher.

If Alonso is third (275), Vettel must finish ninth (275) or higher. Vettel wins the title on results countback.

If Alonso isn't on the podium, Vettel wins the title.

With Brazil usually throwing up a couple of surprises anyway AND there being a threat of rain, I'm feeling more than a little bit nervous about next weekend.

Also, if I may...what a complete bag of shit the Mercedes W03 is. Schumacher dragged that car kicking and screaming to a good starting position and then absolutely shocking race pace where they couldn't get the tyres to heat up but still destroyed the tyres meant they were nowhere and had to do a two-stop strategy. Ridiculous. Have fun next year Hamilton!

Also, if I may...what a complete bag of shit the Mercedes W03 is. Schumacher dragged that car kicking and screaming to a good starting position and then absolutely shocking race pace where they couldn't get the tyres to heat up but still destroyed the tyres meant they were nowhere and had to do a two-stop strategy. Ridiculous. Have fun next year Hamilton!

As a massive fan of his I won't :angry:

Lewis was fantastic in qualifying yesterday, but I posted elsewhere that Schumi was a bit of a unsung hero. Hope he finishes in the points next week to end his great career.

Alonso is great in the rain, I will have my fingers crossed for it!

Edited by jimufctna24

Top grand prix, I'm a big fan of that Texas track! Plenty of overtaking, challenging but safe. I don't think the backmarkers were the only reason Hamilton won, he had the pace to get past Vettel and would have manoeuvred himself into position sooner or later.

That Mercedes is shit, though, isn't it? What is it exactly that's changing about Mercedes' setup or design team that makes Hamilton think he'll have a better car next year?

MacLaren's chances of a championship next year don't seem great. As big a fan as I am of Button, he's not got as much out of this car as Hamilton has, nowhere near, and Perez doesn't strike me as a like for like replacement for Hamilton, to put it mildly. I guess if they build the whole car exclusively around Button, then maybe...

Last race should be a cracker, I'm hoping someone takes Vettel out on the first corner ;)

• Paid Members

Vettel complaining about Hamiltons perfectly fine overtake and Christian Horner basically blaming the backmarker for costing them victory perhaps shows that the pressure is getting to the Red Bull team.

As you say the Mercedes has been terrible this season and I hope they have something big in the pipeline for next season for Hamilton. He's hardly put a foot wrong all season and had there not been so many failures on the McLaren he'd easily be in the title picture right now.

Yeah, hopefully Maldonado/Grosjean have another brain failure and run Vettel off the track at some point.

I think if Hamilton had thrown one up the inside of Vettel into a braking zone, he would have taken the position since Seb couldn't take the risk of losing a front wing and dropping points to Fernando. Part of me thinks that if there hadn't have been traffic, Seb being quicker in the final sector to pull away could have made the difference. It's all a case of ifs and buts and at the end of the day, Hamilton deserved that win.

What's changing at Mercedes for next year? Absolutely nothing really. To be honest, they've probably got one of the top design teams in F1 that isn't called Adrian Newey but they need to fit all of the pieces of the jigsaw together. Looking to 2014 though, he may well be sitting pretty at Mercedes if they get on top of the new regulations and come out with all guns blazing. I think they'll be right up there with the new rules and no doubt the Hamilton factor will help bring another tenth or two out of the car.

I get the feeling I'm in the minority on here pulling for Vettel next weekend...I don't think I've ever wanted Brazil to throw up a boring and predictable race, but that'd suit me down to the ground provided we get similar results to the last few races. Even if it's not, an incident-free race for both guys please. No incidents with other drivers colliding into them, no gearbox penalties...just two men driving for the title.

Edited by LariatTom

I get the feeling I'm in the minority on here pulling for Vettel next weekend...I don't think I've ever wanted Brazil to throw up a boring and predictable race, but that'd suit me down to the ground provided we get similar results to the last few races. Even if it's not, an incident-free race for both guys please. No incidents with other drivers colliding into them, no gearbox penalties...just two men driving for the title.

Can I ask why?

I am not big Fernando fan but he really does deserve it more this year, Vettel whilst a good driver has won in much easier circumstances than Alonso managed.

• Paid Members

Am I the only one who thought this was a boring race yesterday? If it wasn't for the fact that it's a new circuit and the penultimate race then I think this would've been a bore fest. I didn't think there was much to cheer about other than the fact that the championship's down to the wire (and Hamilton winning - if you like that sort of thing). And WTF were those Pirelli hats on the podium? Did Hamilton need any help with being a bigger dickhead than he does already (faux-US accent, etc.)? I just wasn't impressed by much of it at all but I seem to be in the minority.