Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members

F1 in America this weekend. Looking forward to this. The track is great and its F1 in America! Where's that footage of Coulthard dirt tracking the RedBull around the Texas track?

Found it. Very cool.

Edited by BigJag

The Beeb has a little "US Highlights" package on their site, and it includes the utter embarrassment that was the last GP over there. I'd forgotten just what a fuckup it was.; how did it ever get to that? Schumacher won, which is hilarious. I remember watching it live, or trying to, and it was incomprehensible.

That and the Monaco incident a year later is why people Schumacher went out with should a bad rep.

There is a rumor him and Rubens fell out that weekend, and you can tell in the post race press conference when Schumi is talking, Rubens looks like he is ready to kill.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
The Beeb has a little "US Highlights" package on their site, and it includes the utter embarrassment that was the last GP over there. I'd forgotten just what a fuckup it was.; how did it ever get to that? Schumacher won, which is hilarious. I remember watching it live, or trying to, and it was incomprehensible.

The highlight of that whole GP was Martin Brundell absolutely going in for the kill on Bernie Eccleston on the gridwalk.

Edited by Chilli_Mondeo

That and the Monaco incident a year later is why people Schumacher went out with should a bad rep.

There is a rumor him and Rubens fell out that weekend, and you can tell in the post race press conference when Schumi is talking, Rubens looks like he is ready to kill.

Was that when they tried to cross the line together? Or was that a different GP?

That was without doubt, outside of a death in the sport, one of the blackest weekends in F1 history.

There has been much written and argued about that 2005 race, who was at fault, what went on behind the scenes, the power struggle and how much of a complete dick Max Mosley was.

I remember watching it and seeing the fans throwing beer cans onto the track, summed up just what a monumental cock up it all was! Michelin even compensated all the fans there with free tickets to the following years race.

I've no idea how ticket sales for Texas has gone, it could go either way really. It just doesnt strike me as an area to host an F1 race and unlike Indy, the ticket prices are not cheap.

Was that when they tried to cross the line together?

Not sure if it was that race in particular but it was bloody embarassing to watch!

On the subject of Texas, heres the view backwards from turn 1 to the pit straight so you can get an idea of the elevation, theres going to be some seriously late braking into that corner!

f1%20austin%20texas.jpg

Another:

1352967497.jpg

Edited by windoesnot

I've no idea how ticket sales for Texas has gone, it could go either way really. It just doesnt strike me as an area to host an F1 race and unlike Indy, the ticket prices are not cheap.

Stupidly its been scheduled against the final Nascar race of the season, which means the majority of the US motorsport media will be at Homestead, and any general publicity and hype of F1's 'triumphant return' to the States will be lost.

Was that when they tried to cross the line together? Or was that a different GP?

A quick check and they did do that in America, but in 2002 not 2005.

The story goes that Schumacher had a big sway in them not putting up a chicane so the teams on Michelin could compete. It was a good job that year Ferrari were long gone in the Championship, if the Championship would have been decided due to that I dread the reaction.

The race where Schumacher tried to manfuacture a dead heat finish was in 2002. Some viewed it as payback for when Rubens was made to give away a victory at the Austrian race with Schumacher doing this just to toy with people and prove he could do it.

The 2005 race...oh, I still have nightmares about that. There are some horror occasions when I'll flick onto the online F1 channel I watch (which is of course, completely legal and above board...) and they'll be showing the 2005 season. I'm ashamed to admit that I've sat through that 2005 farce more than once though it does provide some comedy moments with Brundle's gridwalk and the very real moment at the end of the second pitstop when Rubens looks as though he's about to turn into Schumacher at T1, taking them both out of the race and giving Tiago Montero a win. I wouldn't be surprised if they had fallen out by that point, I would imagine Rubens had been told by then that he wasn't being kept for 2006, so he wouldn't need to worry about staying on Michael's good side. With the championship gone, he didn't exactly need to gift him any more finishes.

Ticket sales for this race are actually pretty strong for a first race. The majority of the 120,000 tickets have been sold for race day with something like 80% of those going to Americans. The trick will be to get them coming back next year and building on attendance. Of course, scheduling the race against the final weekend of NASCAR was utterly foolish on the part of the FIA. Then again, Bernie and the FIA want to put a French Grand Prix into the calendar next year on the same weekend as Le Mans. If that doesn't scream stupidity between two FIA sanctioned events, I don't know what does. Let's not forget that Le Mans is part of a world championship these days so to have a conflict of this nature would be utterly ridiculous.

Speaking of NASCAR, has anyone else been keeping track of the Chase for the Race for the Cup for the Thing

Edited by LariatTom