Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

Its a documentary done to celebrate him so you have to expect that, I get that it would bother you as you rate Prost above him.

Senna doing what he did is seen as either a crime of rebellion against the authorities or a reckless and unprofessional move. The truth is some what in the middle I bet.

• Paid Members

It's a stunning documentary. For the record there is a book called 'Prost versus Senna' by Malcolm Folley that delves deeper into the story and does a lot more to give Prost his side in detail, great book. If you don't own it, track it down.

• Paid Members

DTM highlights starting on ITV4. It's at Valencia?

Schumacher special on the BBC red button.

WRC France this weekend too. Crazy incident in one of the stages with Solberg. He completely misjudged a corner and ended up going cross country. Strange, due to France being a tarmac rally. So he was tearing through the vineyard ,trying to find the road. Which he did. Only to ignore it and plough through the field on the other side of the narrow strip of tarmac. Until he came to an abrupt stop when he smashed into a concrete electricity pole. The aerial footage of this is great. As the damaged pole slowly teeters over and narrowly missed connecting with the head of a spectator. There were sparks also as the electricity cables broke apart. Luckily no one was hurt.

Loeb is in the lead. With Latvala chasing hard after his tire choice began to pay dividends.

Good action in the BTCC from Silverstone today.

Edited by BigJag

• 2 weeks later...

I'll believe it when I see at but at the moment I don't see that happening, not while Alonso is there. There is no way he'd agree to someone being his team mate who could actually challenge and beat him. Plus Vettel is on the verge of possibly winning his 3rd title in a row with Red Bull, a team who has also given him a car that has enabled him to rack up many pole positions and fastest laps too, something he cares a lot about. Unless Vettel has a burning desire to drive for Ferrari, that is stronger than his desire to win more championships, then I don't see this happening. Then again, Hamilton is off to Mercedes next year.

I think it will happen.

3 titles at Red Bull potentially this year, and you have to have them as favorites next year on recent form. The changes in regulation in 2014 will make life interesting and Red Bull may not have the advantage they have now, as he has done all he can with Red Bull, Vettel will want to prove his naysayers (like me) wrong that he only beats Alonso and Lewis due to his car being that much better and not his actual skill.

The Ferrari heritage is also a tasty carrot worth dangling, all the greats want to drive their at some point in their career.

I'm of the belief that Vettel has had a pre-contract signed with Ferrari for several months and this isn't a brand new development, more that it's seemingly coming into the open now that Massa is being confirmed for 2013. If Vettel has signed a pre-contract agreement with Ferrari, then it'll have performance based clauses in it on his side whereby Ferrari have to be in a certain position in the Constructors' championship or have a certain amount of points by a designated point of the season. At that point, the clause becomes active and he'll sign. It's something that's been discussed a fair bit on various motorsport podcasts in the last few weeks and months with a good number of people saying the deal is already as good as done and that's why Ferrari were holding out on sorting their second driver for so long because they only need someone on a one year deal.

Christian Horner seems pretty certain that Vettel will be with RBR in 2014 since he's under contract but at the same time, he pretty much said that if Seb wants to leave and go to Ferrari, he'll leave and go to Ferrari. No good ever came of keeping a driver at a team when he wants to be elsewhere really.

Fernando probably won't mind too much. If he gets beaten by Vettel in 2014, he's at a point where he can quite plausibly retire or go and spend the twilight of his career at another team (Mclaren will have seats going by the end of 2014 with Button's contract rumoured to end as an active driver then). There's always that slight advantage of knowing a team and knowing a car which gives you a boost for the first few races, and that's when he could feasibly set his stall out and show that he's up for a fight.

The new rules for 2014 could swing things in the direction of the works teams, which is possibly why Hamilton took that gamble of going to Merc, as well as the chance to do what Schumacher couldn't and build the team into winners. Honestly though, you never count out a team that has Adrian Newey designing the car and working on it. They'd still be right up there.

As a completely different note, I will never complain about UK coverage again. I watched the race yesterday on RTL and they sure do love their adverts. I know that with Qualifying, they take a break between each session and usually throw one in the middle of Q1 as well, and at some points I've sat through ad breaks that are going on for the best part of 7 minutes. The German commentary team are fun and Kai Abel might rival Eddie Jordan for bizarre shirts on race day. I do miss Brundle though...

Edited by LariatTom

"as an active driver" would mean that if he chose to stay with Mclaren, he'd basically take up an ambassadorial role for the team. Chances are he'll do a few more years though, but he'll most likely end his F1 career with Mclaren. It's crazy to think that he's been in the sport for 13 years now and he's got over 220 starts.

The US race for this year at Texas is still on, it's New Jersey which was meant to be on the calendar next year which has been postponed. Different sources (some official, some not so) have different stories and reasons, but most point to 'off-track' problems which probably means money. Bernie's been threatening to pull that race for a few weeks now over a disagreement with money including saying that the original contract they had was now void. Speaking from my own perspective, I'm not overly fussed about this. It would have been nice for the sport to have two races in the US, but the promoters were virtually relying on fans doing a double header of Canada and New Jersey on back to back weekends.

A couple of people I know have won some personal bets with New Jersey being cancelled/postponed. Not bad..

"as an active driver" would mean that if he chose to stay with Mclaren, he'd basically take up an ambassadorial role for the team. Chances are he'll do a few more years though, but he'll most likely end his F1 career with Mclaren. It's crazy to think that he's been in the sport for 13 years now and he's got over 220 starts.

I get you thanks.

Yeah it is amazing, I am a Lewis fan thick and through, but I do like Jenson. After how well he did in 2004, and then as dismal as he did (due to his car) in 2005-2008, it was a amazing turnaround to win in 2009, the story behind is one of the best in F1 history with Brawn.

When is the Texas race?

Circuit of the Americas makes its debut on November 18th with Brazil concluding the season a week later.

Quick heads up for anyone looking for some motorsport action today, Petit Le Mans starts in a few hours with coverage on Motors TV from 4.45pm (though I believe they're not showing the entire race thanks to a Nationwide Cup race this evening). If you fancy catching the entire 10 hours, coverage is available on the ALMS website and on the EPSN3 player for anyone with US access to that. Well worth checking out, as the name suggests, it's a smaller version of Le Mans around one of the finest race circuits in the USA. I think we've got 44 entrants for the race thanks to the European Le Mans Series joining forces with the US field, as well as the racing return of the Nissan Deltawing who are right among the LMP2 cars (though once again, the Deltawing races without a category).