Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

Just a reminder that this is on this weekend

http://www.festival-of-motoring.co.uk/

Anything else happening?

The 'big' motorsport event of weekend comes from Silverstone courtesy of the World Endurance Championship. All of the usual favourites from sports car racing with the Audi/Toyota battle set to take place once again (though it may well just be Audi vs Audi if practice is anything to go by). Toyota have an interesting concept on the rear wing though which has generated some interest. Support races come from the Classic Endurance Racing series and two rounds of Formula Renault 3.5.

First race of that weekend is at 1pm on Eurosport with FR3.5 and the second race taking place tomorrow. The WEC race is a 6 hour race tomorrow afternoon with full coverage on Motors TV, Audi TV and the WEC website. If you can't watch the pictures, then Radio Le Mans are doing their usual complete coverage of the weekend and will be giving uninterrupted coverage.

That'll be my viewing for tomorrow. I might flick over for bits and pieces of the BTCC meeting depending on which support races take my fancy, or I'll record it and then skim through it on Monday evening.

• Paid Members

DTM highlights on ITV 4 at 1300. It's from the Nurburgring.

Cheers Tom. Will try and watch some of that. I think Anthony Davidson is back after his crash at Le Mans. Where he suffered a couple of cracked vertebrae.

Busy weekend.

Edited by BigJag

I caught that DTM race last weekend after realising my laptop enables me to watch ARD live for some reason. It shouldn't, but it does. That was a dull race. It always offered to be a bit more exciting, but nothing really came of it. I haven't watched the ITV highlight packages, but I do wonder if they find a way to make the races seem interesting.

Davidson isn't back in the Toyota after his Le Mans crash. He's only just started getting back into the Mercedes sim as part of his rehab. He's at Silverstone this weekend as a Toyota driver, but he isn't participating in the race.

• Paid Members
I caught that DTM race last weekend after realising my laptop enables me to watch ARD live for some reason. It shouldn't, but it does. That was a dull race. It always offered to be a bit more exciting, but nothing really came of it. I haven't watched the ITV highlight packages, but I do wonder if they find a way to make the races seem interesting.

Davidson isn't back in the Toyota after his Le Mans crash. He's only just started getting back into the Mercedes sim as part of his rehab. He's at Silverstone this weekend as a Toyota driver, but he isn't participating in the race.

The DTM show was only a half hour Long. There was plenty of offs. The cars were taking some interesting lines. Bringing loads of gravel not the track. What they showed was fun.

Went to the Coventry Motoring Festival today. It was a fun day out. There were a few cool cars there. A really nice example of a B10 Alpina being particularly eye-catching. Lots of historical cars there too. The Spitfire fly past was very good too. The pilot made a number of circuits and flew just above the tree tops. Giving everyone a great view of the plane. That was probably the best part of the event. Worth going for that alone.

Got back to find some cool Classic Touring Car action on Motors TV. Was there any historical touring car footage during the BTCC programming today?

CarFest North - Cars - http://www.carfestnorth.org/Content/Cars/11/

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

Watching the BTCC highlights. Lots of rubbing racing going on. The first race was full of incident and the finish for third was incredibly close. Not sure I agree with the result. Looked different from the pictures. What do they mean by Super 2000 spec cars? There seems to be a discrepancy between the Super 2000 spec cars and the others. Why is that allowed? Matt Jackson opening his door to allow the exhaust gasses to escape was pretty amazing. He actually felt he could have finished the race like that. Good job TOCA were paying attention.BMW EBay were dominant. DTM at Zandvoort showing afterwards on ITV 4.What's happening in the Belgium GP?

Edited by BigJag

What a day of action from Spa, and it's only Saturday! Button finally found the balance in his Mclaren to claim his first pole for the team at his 50th attempt (which seems ludicrous) while the main title contenders all seemed to struggle. Alonso qualifies 6th and starts 5th with pretty much all of his rivals starting behind him with the exception of Kimi. Kobayashi pulls a front row start out of seemingly nowhere and with Perez 4th, they look in great shape for tomorrow. Vettel doesn't make Q3, Mercedes are the 8th fastest car with Rosberg in 23rd after a gearbox change and dropping out in Q1 while Schumacher could only make P13. Ridiculous.

Then GP2 and GP3. Nigel Melker crashed his Ocean car at Eau Rouge in a terrifying accident which caused a safety car and then a red flag while the marshals had to rebuild the tyre barrier at the top of the hill. That caused about a 35 minute delay and then just as things were about to kick off again, the start was delayed as the medical helicopter wasn't back at the circuit yet. So we had about an hour of dead air to fill which Buxton and di Grassi did brilliantly, fielding an impromptu Q&A session (including my question about the next generation of cars having KERS and/or DRS), giving shout outs to people and talking about their favourite Belgian food, beer, naming corners and commenting on drivers taking a comfort break against a wall.

GP3 finally started and were told that the race would be shortened to just 25 minutes because of the delays from GP2. The race itself only lasts 4 laps and just over 8 minutes as Ocean's GP3 team had another horrifying moment as Cregan was send backwards into a wall at Pouhon after being trapped by Brundle and Fumanelli colliding and his car coming off worst. Apparently, that impact was registered at 140mph by the team. Both drivers are relatively ok apart from bruising, but the cars were written off so they'll both be unlikely to start the sprint races tomorrow morning.

Watching the BTCC highlights. Lots of rubbing racing going on. The first race was full of incident and the finish for third was incredibly close. Not sure I agree with the result. Looked different from the pictures. What do they mean by Super 2000 spec cars? There seems to be a discrepancy between the Super 2000 spec cars and the others. Why is that allowed? Matt Jackson opening his door to allow the exhaust gasses to escape was pretty amazing. He actually felt he could have finished the race like that. Good job TOCA were paying attention.BMW EBay were dominant.

DTM at Zandvoort showing afterwards on ITV 4.

What's happening in the Belgium GP?

The Super 2000 spec cars are essentially old cars. There is a discrepancy between those and the new NGTC models because the new cars are just much better. They've got more modern technology and the simple fact that they're turbo means that they've got a straight line speed advantage. I think it was Plato moaning (as usual) last year at most races saying that he couldn't keep up with the NGTC cars in his old S2000 and, as usual, decided that the best way to usually combat that was trying to knock everyone else off track.

The Super 2000 cars should be all but gone by the end of this year. Most teams are using NGTC cars in the BTCC these days.

As always thank you Tom. What does NGTC stand for?

Seems your at Spa this weekend?

Wow. The one week I pay zero attention to qualifying,and it goes all loopy!

I wish. I moved to Germany on Thursday which scuppered any plans I had of going to Spa (which is now second on my motorsport To Do list for the next year after going to Le Mans). I'll never knock British coverage of F1 again though, RTL definitely love their ad breaks!

No problem, if I can answer things, I'll answer them. I'd like to think I've got a fairly decent knowledge of all/most things motorsport so I may as well put it to use. NGTC stands for Next Generation Touring Car.

Romain Grosjean what a reckless tit.

Button raced well, and Kimi continued being the nearly man when it comes to race wins much to his discontent, still he picked up solid points. I think McLaren have the best car now going forward, that could change but both Lewis and Button should be up there in the next few races.

The end to this year could rival 2010 and 2007 for excitement.