Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members

The DTM show on SS3 was a highlights show. Cracking race. I'm always at wresting training on a Sunday. So miss the live races. Plus that presenter is very attractive. Must have had something to do with the wet weather and her I can speak English but I am actually German delivery.

How does watching the German coverage help with your degree?

Is the Norisring an old airfield?

ELMS? Is that the European Le Mans Series? Donnington is half an hour from my door. I really have no excuse for not going!

I'm pretty sure they were showing some live Le Man's series stuff on Motors TV this past Sunday morning. It looked like an American event. Not sure though. Looked a good race from what I saw of it.

German coverage helps my degree since I'm doing a German degree. Almost seems too straightforward to put it like that, but just throwing myself into a program for an hour and a half or so where there's nothing but German is pretty useful. Same way a lot of people learning English will do so through watching TV and listening to music since it's a quick way to pick up on pronunciation of words, structures etc.

The Norisring is actually a street circuit in Nuremberg on the grounds of the old Nazi party rallies. Bit of a unique setting for a race.

Yeah, that's the European Le Mans Series at Donington. If you can get down there, it's always a stacked race weekend with a couple of support series alongside the main six hour race. The stuff on Motors last Sunday was the American Le Mans Series race from Lime Rock. I caught the second half of that race live since they have an international live stream on their website for people outside the US who want to watch, which is a really good idea. Web streaming seems to be a solid idea that's catching on in the motorsport world at the moment, particularly in sports cars. You've got the ALMS streaming their races, the World Endurance Championship has streams of their races most of the time, the FIA GT1 World (which uses neither GT1 cars or is actually a world championship) and GT3 European championships are streamed on YouTube and Dailymotion and the same is said for the Blancpain Endurance Series.

• 2 weeks later...

Wet Qualifying today made everything interesting and we're fairly certain to see a dry race tomorrow which should mix things a bit. Schumacher's definitely still got it in him when the conditions are a bit mixed. At least in Silverstone, they had a wet set-up which helped to explain why he went backwards in the race. If the Mercedes looks after the rears tomorrow, he should be on for some good points. Both Lotus cars coming through the field, Webber fighting back from a grid penalty and Vettel trying to beat Alonso and claim his first ever home win...should be a good one tomorrow!

Oh, and since I ended up talking about it with Monkee a few weeks ago, I decided to start doing a bit of F1 writing which I've sneakily linked to. How exciting! Hopefully got more bits and pieces coming over the next few weeks about major innovations throughout Formula 1 and maybe something about the current crop of GP2 drivers.

Edited by LariatTom

I cannot see past Vettel or Alonso tomorrow. First time all year Hamilton has been out qualified by Button.

I agree with the above about the importance of Pole, but it seems like Hamilton when he got earlier in the year could not convert it. Hamilton is along with Alonso for me the best 2 drivers on the grid, its a shame McLaren have been a shambles this year.

I was split between putting this in the Motorsport thread or the Games thread. This looks like it has the potential to be amazing and I can only hope it is half decent. I've always thought this was a great idea for a game. Let's hope for a Mario Kart equaler.

Codemasters has announced their Formula One gaming portfolio is adding F1 Race Stars, a fast-to-the-fun arcade racing game for all ages featuring official Formula One cars, teams and circuits as they

I was split between putting this in the Motorsport thread or the Games thread. This looks like it has the potential to be amazing and I can only hope it is half decent. I've always thought this was a great idea for a game. Let's hope for a Mario Kart equaler.

Codemasters has announced their Formula One gaming portfolio is adding F1 Race Stars, a fast-to-the-fun arcade racing game for all ages featuring official Formula One cars, teams and circuits as they

I cannot see past Vettel or Alonso tomorrow. First time all year Hamilton has been out qualified by Button.

I agree with the above about the importance of Pole, but it seems like Hamilton when he got earlier in the year could not convert it. Hamilton is along with Alonso for me the best 2 drivers on the grid, its a shame McLaren have been a shambles this year.

I can see what you're saying about Hamilton not being able to convert pole earlier in the season, but it's not too bad really. In Australia, he was beaten into Turn 1 by Button and the race was pretty much over from that point as Button was able to get a bit more from the car. Hamilton was then unlucky with the timing of his pit stop in relation to the Safety Car meaning he lost another position to Vettel and finished in third. If it weren't for that bit of luck, he would have been second. In Malaysia, the rain came and made the race far from the normal. He led that race until the rain delay, and again when they resumed racing and quite possibly would have won had they not had a slow stop. So he's not been able to convert pole, but one of those was due to bad luck and the other was a poor pit stop. When he had the pole-that-never-was in Spain, he had the quickest car as shown by a fight through the field to finished 4th. No doubt he would have won that race had he started from pole.

Like I say, there's usually around a 50% conversion rate of poles to victories, so on that basis...Malaysia is probably the win that got away.

Really unlucky race for Lewis once again. It would say that I can't see Lewis being at McLaren next year BUT no chance he would go to Ferrari with Alonso there, Red Bull are hardly going to sack a two time world champion and a Mark Webber who is near the top of the table. Which leaves Hamilton stuck as McLaren.

It was a bit off but how impressive was Buttons 2.4second pit stop glad to see the Pit Crew pulling their fingers out for a change hopefully they can get some more upgrades on that car.

First time I watched the Sky showing of F1 due to the free weekend, I prefer the Beeb's F1 show.

Like I say, there's usually around a 50% conversion rate of poles to victories, so on that basis...Malaysia is probably the win that got away.

Yeah good point.

It is depressing if he had won in Spain and Malaysia he may still have a chance of challenging Alonso. As it stands I cannot see past Alonso winning the title.

Why didn't Vettel just let Jenson back past and just retake him a few corners later, Buttons tyres were gone.

Alonso to be champion, Vettel can't battle, he only wins when he's starting from pole, Button and Webber are too inconsistant and Hamilton has either not had the car, or McLarens made mistakes with stragedy or pitstops.

Edited by AJS269