Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members

The F1 season was pretty good. You are always going to get races where the first 1 around the first corner will win, but as King of the Coconuts said we have 2 of the best drivers of this generation in Hamilton and Vettel, we have the heir apparent in Verstappen, the brash Aussie who has had his nose pushed slightly out of joint by the younger teammate in Danny Ric. Add in a mid field of up and comers like Sainz, Ocon, and Perez, and the glorious grumpiness of Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso and you have an entertaining season. 

What will this season bring, testing can be a game of cat and mouse. Notice that Mercedes didn't run the hyper soft at Barcelona for example. If I had to guess you'd think that Red Bull and Ferrari have probably got a bit closer to the Mercs but we shall have to see. 

Can I also ask any MotoGP fans here?

• Paid Members

BT Sport are covering WRC over the weekend. Live coverage at 1700 tonight. Sebastian Loeb is back for this rally. He's probably the greatest driver to have ever lived. He's taken three years away from rallying. Aside from a couple of guest appearances. Even with that absence he's running competitively in Mexico. With a distinct chance of winning this weekend. Pretty remarkable.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

I am looking forward to the new f1 season, i hope Verstappen,has a more reliable car this season, he is very exciting to watch 

Are there any major rule changes for this season? 

They have brought in New tyre compounds Ralphy, and they've outlawed the stupid shark fin on the back. They've also brought in the halo protection for the drivers. 

• Paid Members

Last season’s F1 was certainly one of the better ones in recent years

As usual though Moto GP will be far more exciting and worthy of your time.

The season starts next week with the Qatar Grand Prix. Last years opener was pretty crazy - Johann Zarco - a rookie in his first year in Moto GP, on a feeder team’s bike, got to the front of the grid, and built a two second lead in just six laps, before pushing just a little too hard and sadly falling off. He was awesome all season and finished around 5th in the championship I think. It was a remarkable achievement considering all the factors above and the competition he was up against (Márquez, Dovi, Viñales, Rossi, Lorenzo, Pedrosa etc). For any F1 fans who don’t watch Moto GP it would be similar to one of the Sauber lads staying up with the top six. I can’t wait to see what he does this year. 

Agree with Coconut, last year was a good season. Verstappen kept pushing, Ricciardo was entertaining as ever, and obviously Vettel pushing Hamilton was great. I'm perhaps naively hoping Alonso will be in with a chance of a couple of podiums with McLaren getting the Renault engine. The cars look fresh this year, and the halo looks better than I'd thought. The new Sauber Alfa Romeo is the 4-wheel version of Alexa Bliss.

If Red Bull can get a grip on their reliability and Ferrari can keep some level of consistency, then we could be in for a cracking season. The midfield could go anyway, but I'm expecting Force to come out well, and have a feeling Williams will struggle this year.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, waters44 said:

Last season’s F1 was certainly one of the better ones in recent years

As usual though Moto GP will be far more exciting and worthy of your time.

The season starts next week with the Qatar Grand Prix. Last years opener was pretty crazy - Johann Zarco - a rookie in his first year in Moto GP, on a feeder team’s bike, got to the front of the grid, and built a two second lead in just six laps, before pushing just a little too hard and sadly falling off. He was awesome all season and finished around 5th in the championship I think. It was a remarkable achievement considering all the factors above and the competition he was up against (Márquez, Dovi, Viñales, Rossi, Lorenzo, Pedrosa etc). For any F1 fans who don’t watch Moto GP it would be similar to one of the Sauber lads staying up with the top six. I can’t wait to see what he does this year. 

Whenever I've watched MotoGP. I've marvelled at the skill, ability, and absolutely bonkers disregard they have for themselves. It really is astonishing the way they throw these bikes around. It is one of the few motorsports where you can actually see the the pilot working the vehicle. I need to keep more of an eye out for this.

• Paid Members

You need to watch the Moto3 as well @BigJag. There was one of the races last year where every rider in the top 19 was in the lead of the race at some point during it. For all the people who complain about the lack of overtaking in F1 Moto3 is for you. 

• Paid Members

I saw a bit where one rider came off his bike. Slid along for a bit and then got up. Immediately pointed at his right collar bone. Then trudged off the track with his right arm hanging awkwardly. It was as if it wasn't that big a deal to him. He was more pissed that he couldn't ride. These guys are a different breed.