Motor Racing Nirvana

BigJag

• Paid Members

Alonso has looked very jaded by F1 for a few years now. His luck with cars has been awful ever since he left Renault, he's been lumped with bag of spanners after bag of spanners...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Mercedes got the strategy spot on yesterday. I don't think Vettel expected Hamilton to be so punchy off the start. Vettel was the cause of his own spin, and that spin meant that Ferrari didn't have to come up with a way to screw Kimi, and they had to back him. The problem is that Kimi now drives like a number 2 driver. He just doesn't have the killer instinct required to win races anymore. Bottas played his role perfectly, backing Kimi into Lewis and getting back onto the podium. A really enjoyable race. 

• Paid Members

Vettel really can't take the pressure Hamilton brings, can he? You can just see his confidence in his ability to win the driver's championship dripping away race after race. Even when he won at Spa, he looked like a beaten man in his post-race press duties...

• 2 years later...
  • Paid Members

Mick Schumacher just won the 2020 F2 championship. He's moving up to F1 next season. I haven't really followed his career.  What's he like as a driver and personality?

Seb Ogier clinched the 2020 WRC championship today. That's his 7th World championship with a third team. He's won the title 7 times out of the last eight years. That's Hamilton levels of dominance. After a disrupted season they ended the season at Monza. Quite cool watching a Rally car fly around the Monza banking. 

Edited by BigJag

• 7 months later...
  • Paid Members

Should be interesting with the sprint race shaking things up a bit. A reverse grid was initially put forward, based on the results from the previous GP. Mercedes blocked that as it would hamper their cars. Which are notorious for struggling in traffic. 

The teams qualified for the Sprint grid last night and there are points to be gained from the finishing positions.

The Sprint is scheduled to start at 1630 tonight. 

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

It was certainly exciting for the first few laps. The condensing of the number of laps helped energise things. I do feel that it did settle into a regular F1 race. Just a little shorter. 

The shorter race should help draw in a younger crowd. 

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

I've really struggled to get into Formula E. It just feels really gimmicky whenever I watch it. I feel similar about the Extreme E series that ran last year. On the surface it seemed just the type of thing that would hook me in. Sadly, that didn't happen. I think the lack of any spectators and thus zero atmosphere really made for a TV product that lacked excitement. It was a strange hybrid of E racing and Rallycross.

WRC had a fairly successful debut of their Hybrid cars last weekend at Monte Carlo. A fairly exciting duel between the two Sebs made the round quite interesting. The drivers championship should also be a bit more open. As the two Sebs won't be contesting every Rally. Plus the main manufacturers look to be quite evenly matched. The cars are making the right sounds and look to have the right attitude when barrelling through the stages. Sweden is the next event. Recent test footage suggests that they'll have plenty of snow.

• Paid Members

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/modern/2022/1/seven-reasons-to-watch-to-formula-e-in-2022/

A few points to look out for in this year's FE season.

Any classic Rally fans here? The East African Safari Classic kicks off in Kenya on Feb 10th.

https://www.eastafricansafarirally.com/

The WRC Safari will be later in the year.

Live coverage of mad heads driving around a rocky desert.

Live coverage of the final stage of WRC Sweden has just started on BT Sport 1.

I just caught the highlights of the 2022 Extreme E Desert X Prix. The organisers have made some changes, from last year, and given the event more of an X Games feel.

Mclaren are also a new edition to the teams list. Tanner Foust of X Games and Nitro Circus fame is driving for Mclaren.

The racing looked to be exciting and competitive and the final race of the day is one that definitely needs to checked out.

Sardinia next for the Island prix.

Edited by BigJag