WWE Extreme Rules Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

I'd guess that Cena is taking a much needed break, which removes some of the rage I had at his initial win. At least Lesnar can brag that he put Cena on the shelf, but terrible move to have him lose his first match in 8 years. In fact, Lesnar's last win at a WWE PPV was against Hardcore Holly at Royal Rumble 2004. Abysmal.

At least Lesnar did look like a beast, but really people will just remember the result. Cena got his ass kicked for 20 minutes before beating Lesnar with 2 fucking moves. :angry:

13949024_display_image.jpg

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great PPV overall I thought. The Daniel Bryan-Sheamus match was great but the layers of storytelling of the main event was amazing. From Lesnar dominating early with MMA style and that vicious elbow. The trainers checks which have broken the flow here added tension and legitimacy. Lesnar's cockiness got the better of him and Cena used 'pro wrestling' tactics to sneak the win and show the business' 'legitimacy'. It also tied into the story of Lesnar's story in UFC where he usually dominated but was sloppy and could be caught with things. Cena's injury and Lesnar's domination keeps him strong while Cena can go off to film another movie. Also, the story of Cena finally winning the Chicago crowd over after the brutal heat last year vs. Punk and the big pop for his win was amazing. Reminded me of Sting vs Vader and Joe vs. Angle.

• Paid Members

Completely disagree that people will only remember the result. Look at the build up for Taker/HHH this year, where Taker had to fight tooth and nail to get his rematch to avenge his win from the previous year. How their editors and writers spin the events of the match in the coming weeks is so much more important, and there's not really any way you can slice the footage that makes Brock look bad unless you only air those 30 seconds of it.

Cena got fucking murdered, Brock looked like the destroyer of worlds and Brock had to throw himself into a chain shot to the face and then take Cena's finisher on the steps to lose the match. Surely if Cena had used more than two moves and actually had the upper hand on Brock for a prolonged period towards the end it'd have hurt Brock a lot more anyway? A fortunate win in a match where he was lucky to escape alive and may in fact be injured from is hardly Cena burying Brock.

The line that got me in the run up to this match was Brock's 'utter freaking chaos' one, and that is exactly what we got. A memorable PPV main event unlike most you'll see in a WWE ring, on top of a great card of action which featured two great-brilliant title matches.

Also, love a streetfight when the competitors come dressed in street clothes; it just makes it that bit more special or different.

I know what I said seems like blind Cena hate, but it's because I don't think Cena going over is good for any story that was being told. The new face of the WWE lost to the old face, with Cole reinforcing that on commentary. The brilliant story of Cena doubting himself after losses is now abolished, it's the status quo. Just one time, Cena didn't have to overcome the odds. It would have done wonders for both men for Cena to have fought bravely, but ultimately Brock slaughters him because he's in his 'extreme' element. Lesnar is an ass-kicker, but he's now just another heel that fell to Cena. I like Cena, believe it or not, I just feel having him go over at this point is a dumb move.

I know what I said seems like blind Cena hate, but it's because I don't think Cena going over is good for any story that was being told. The new face of the WWE lost to the old face, with Cole reinforcing that on commentary. The brilliant story of Cena doubting himself after losses is now abolished, it's the status quo. Just one time, Cena didn't have to overcome the odds. It would have done wonders for both men for Cena to have fought bravely, but ultimately Brock slaughters him because he's in his 'extreme' element. Lesnar is an ass-kicker, but he's now just another heel that fell to Cena. I like Cena, believe it or not, I just feel having him go over at this point is a dumb move.

What and bury your 'main' guy to two successive 'part timers'? Cena had to win that match as anything else would have shat on him as a main eventer and said to the rest of the guys not to bother as even as top guy we are just gunna bring back old stars to put over you and make you lose. It's not sound business in the long term once the returners have gone away (should they go away)

Brock had to come out looking like a complete and utter beast to show what he was all about,and that his cockiness can get the better of him (though he looked like he had completely fucking lost it at one point with all that looking around) Cena didnt dominate at all and got a 'lucky' win.

Furthermore a 'lucky win' sets up nicely for a rematch as Brock had Cena pulverised within a few minutes and had him down for what, a 7 count. However ultimately he didnt win the match. If Brock had just smashed Cena and got the win, what would be the point/interest in a rematch. Lesnar destroys him again?

So how is it dumb?

What and bury your 'main' guy to two successive 'part timers'? Cena had to win that match as anything else would have shat on him as a main eventer and said to the rest of the guys not to bother as even as top guy we are just gunna bring back old stars to put over you and make you lose. It's not sound business in the long term once the returners have gone away (should they go away)

Brock had to come out looking like a complete and utter beast to show what he was all about,and that his cockiness can get the better of him (though he looked like he had completely fucking lost it at one point with all that looking around) Cena didnt dominate at all and got a 'lucky' win.

Furthermore a 'lucky win' sets up nicely for a rematch as Brock had Cena pulverised within a few minutes and had him down for what, a 7 count. However ultimately he didnt win the match. If Brock had just smashed Cena and got the win, what would be the point/interest in a rematch. Lesnar destroys him again?

So how is it dumb?

Because Cena needs to look human at some point. One of the big reasons people turned on Cena (myself included, I was once the biggest Cena mark) is that he never shows vulnerability. To take an absolute pasting as he did, and then beat Brock with a loaded punch and a fireman's carry with an allegedly injured arm, shows him to be Superman, and through that everything he does becomes predictable. Cena was hardly buried by losing to the Rock, in fact it was presented that the only reason Cena lost was that he got cocky and made a mistake. If Cena hadn't tried that People's Elbow schtick, there's no way in hell he would have lost to that 'part-timer'. These 'part-timers' are two of the biggest stars in WWE history, losing to them isn't a burial.

Everything about this main event was pitch perfect apart from the finish. I was interested in seeing Cena continue to battle his demons, y'know, I could really support an underdog. In 8 years, Cena hasn't shown enough weakness to make me believe he's in any danger. If he absolutely had to win here, because his loss to the Rock was so fucking damaging, they could have given it more than practically the only bit of offense he got in the entire match. If I'm a casual/kiddie fan/whatever, I'm viewing this match as a showing that Lesnar can dish it out, but as soon as he gets hit, he crumbles. Longtime fans like us remember him landing on his head from a Shooting Star press and still F5'ing Kurt Angle to win the WWE title at Wrestlemania, taking the best of Undertaker and HIAC and still winning. To go from that kind of toughness to losing so easily to a battered Cena kicks Lesnar's monster image right in the crotch.

At least Lesnar did look like a beast, but really people will just remember the result. Cena got his ass kicked for 20 minutes before beating Lesnar with 2 fucking moves. :angry:

Cena was hardly buried by losing to the Rock, in fact it was presented that the only reason Cena lost was that he got cocky and made a mistake. If Cena hadn't tried that People's Elbow schtick, there's no way in hell he would have lost to that 'part-timer'. These 'part-timers' are two of the biggest stars in WWE history, losing to them isn't a burial.

Can't have it both ways mate, either the result is key or it isn't. The story of the match far outweighed the result last night, just like it did at WM. Lesnar brutalised Cena, but got caught with a lucky loaded punch and a quick finisher on the steps. That doesn't make Cena look superhuman, it makes him a veteran. He saw an opening that Lesnar, who hasn't wrestled in 8 years missed and managed to sneak a win. Hell it happens in MMA all the time, wins can come out of nowhere because a rookie (or a vet returning after a long absence) makes a mistake that a vet capitalises on.

Personally I thought it was great storytelling.

Cena was hardly buried by losing to the Rock, in fact it was presented that the only reason Cena lost was that he got cocky and made a mistake. If Cena hadn't tried that People's Elbow schtick, there's no way in hell he would have lost to that 'part-timer'. These 'part-timers' are two of the biggest stars in WWE history, losing to them isn't a burial.

Can't have it both ways mate, either the result is key or it isn't. The story of the match far outweighed the result last night, just like it did at WM. Lesnar brutalised Cena, but got caught with a lucky loaded punch and a quick finisher on the steps. That doesn't make Cena look superhuman, it makes him a veteran. He saw an opening that Lesnar, who hasn't wrestled in 8 years missed and managed to sneak a win. Hell it happens in MMA all the time, wins can come out of nowhere because a rookie (or a vet returning after a long absence) makes a mistake that a vet capitalises on.

Yeah, that does seem contradictory, but a big difference between the two matches is that Rock vs Cena was back and forth before the finish, whereas Lesnar vs. Cena was totally one sided. Cena can survive all Lesnar can throw at him, but Lesnar can't take two shots from Cena? Seems weak. If Lesnar could have kicked out once to show toughness, and THEN made a mistake that caused a loss, I could swallow that a lot easier.

I enjoyed the story too, I was caught up greatly in the match, I just feel that the ending took a lot of Lesnar's aura away. It's not exactly the same, but it's like how Jericho has returned, done a lot of great work, but hasn't got a signature win in his return. If Lesnar moves onto a feud with Orton or Punk now, it'll seem like all they have to do is catch him with a RKO or GTS and they'll be on their way. I wouldn't be surprised if Lesnar's pop/heat on Raw is a bit tepid because of this.

Yeah, that does seem contradictory, but a big difference between the two matches is that Rock vs Cena was back and forth before the finish, whereas Lesnar vs. Cena was totally one sided. Cena can survive all Lesnar can throw at him, but Lesnar can't take two shots from Cena? Seems weak. If Lesnar could have kicked out once to show toughness, and THEN made a mistake that caused a loss, I could swallow that a lot easier.

it wasn't just 'two shots' though, it was a loaded fist to the face and then Cena's finishing move. Brock taking any more offence to allow a first kick-out diminishes the 'lucky catch' mentality of the finish.

Because Cena needs to look human at some point. One of the big reasons people turned on Cena (myself included, I was once the biggest Cena mark) is that he never shows vulnerability. To take an absolute pasting as he did, and then beat Brock with a loaded punch and a fireman's carry with an allegedly injured arm, shows him to be Superman, and through that everything he does becomes predictable. Cena was hardly buried by losing to the Rock, in fact it was presented that the only reason Cena lost was that he got cocky and made a mistake. If Cena hadn't tried that People's Elbow schtick, there's no way in hell he would have lost to that 'part-timer'. These 'part-timers' are two of the biggest stars in WWE history, losing to them isn't a burial.

Everything about this main event was pitch perfect apart from the finish. I was interested in seeing Cena continue to battle his demons, y'know, I could really support an underdog. In 8 years, Cena hasn't shown enough weakness to make me believe he's in any danger. If he absolutely had to win here, because his loss to the Rock was so fucking damaging, they could have given it more than practically the only bit of offense he got in the entire match. If I'm a casual/kiddie fan/whatever, I'm viewing this match as a showing that Lesnar can dish it out, but as soon as he gets hit, he crumbles. Longtime fans like us remember him landing on his head from a Shooting Star press and still F5'ing Kurt Angle to win the WWE title at Wrestlemania, taking the best of Undertaker and HIAC and still winning. To go from that kind of toughness to losing so easily to a battered Cena kicks Lesnar's monster image right in the crotch.

Cena getting utterly and completely pasted in a way that has never been seen before, clearly not enough then to show vulnerability? The bloke was bleeding and pretty much defeated after a couple of minutes and Lesnar's toying with his prey rather than finishing it is part of what cost him. Cena got lucky. So the Part timers are the biggest in history? They are still not full time and as I said before, the biggest full time guy losing to them in quick succession, would have just made the rest of the roster look like a joke, because the top guy in the company isnt good and a squash match with Brock would just show up to further devalue not just Cena but the rest of the guys by association, as anyone can come in and make them look week.

You are way off of Lesnars' monster image taking a kicking. It took a Padlock to the head, being bloodied and then an FU to some steps to defeat Brock. How is that saying he isnt tough? If it was anyone else taking that kind of attack, they would be selling it like they'd never wrestle again. Lesnar was caught out and that he refused medical attention and was up soon ish after shows that he had been caught out, the end.

It doesnt devalue his return as the whole match including result doesnt make him out to be anything less than a monster.

Good PPV that probably won't age fabulously well, but fifty thousand out of ten for that Main Event. Fuck-ing hell. I didn't think HHH/Taker was getting topped this year, but as usual the BEST WRESTLER IN THE WHOLE WORLD has always got it in him to bring the quality.

If John Cena isn't getting love from all circles now, I don't know what more can be done. Punk owes him 10% of his main event wages for the next million years for how Cena got him over the top, a Chicago smark crowd cheered him in spite of themselves and you can keep the Angle and Hogan classics - Brock Lesnar had his best pro wrestling match ever. Glorious chaos, and a contemporary Sting/Vader is an excellent comparison.

In chat, it was nothing but full on cheerleading - the Brock guys were revelling in his dominance, every single one of Cena's comebacks was greeted with some sort of COME ON JOHN! and the like. Cannot wait to watch the match again when I get home. Looking forward to putting my wife through the initial torture of watching her favourite (and really only guy she's bothered about) get an absolute shitkicking, and probably bursting into tears as he guts it out at the end.

I assume he's going away for a bit now. He deserves the rest/recuperation, but the shows (and especially the PPVs) will be far weaker without him.

The fans were a massive set of cunts all night, despite this being the second PPV in a row at their arena that will be talked about for years. Fucking idiots think they can ruin the show with clever chants, but in reality get worked more than three quarters of the other arenas where fans can't get into it. Tonight was a victory for the two kids in the front row decked out in Cena colours over a remaining capacity of stinking neckbearded arseholes who cheered like bastard mad when Cena got the win, but will deny it when they call in the radio shows to complain about the wrong guy going over.

Archived