WWE Extreme Rules Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Ofcourse they should mention it, but it shouldn't be his entire character.

It isn't.

Mentioning it during his intro to hype him up is a different level to him wearing MMA gloves in a wrestling ring.

MMA gloves that the Undertaker, Ken Shamrock, Bill Goldberg, TOMMY DREAMER and a thousand other wrestlers have worn in the last 15 years you mean? Kurt Angle wore an Olympic singlet and a gold medal around his neck.These wrestlers are just big blokes playing dress up. I cant see why anyone would put anymore thought into what Lesnar is wearing, other that whether he looks good or not.

Angle being in the Olympics and Tyson boxing are completly different. UFC is more competition to the WWE than the Olympics/boxing are. It is closer to The Rock being a wrestler or a movie star. The Rock is a wrestler who has done movies, similar to how Lesnar is a wrestler who did MMA. Well at least that is how they should be portrayed on WWE TV.

I've heard more about how Lesnar left the WWE and Cena took over his position as the biggest star in the business (a title Lesnar never actually held) than him being a former UFC fighter. When they say they are making WWE more "legit", they dont mean real. Lesnar means he's taking the WWE out of the hands the bloke in the green shirt and jean shorts. Lesnar is a hardcase. His pretend WWE character in 2004 was a hardcase. This storyline is about Cena's being a fan pandering wolly compared to how the WWE was when Brock was running the place. UFC has only been mentioned once or twice, and that was in passing.

I feel it would be a very key point. But it is a difference of opinions and I doubt I will change your mind any time soon so lets not clog up this thread any more. If you still want to discuss it I would be happy to take it into a thread of its own

• Paid Members
Him wearing gloves doesnt mean they are portraying him any different to how you say he should be portrayed though does it?

No it doesn’t. Like it didn’t matter when Ken Shamrock, former UFC Heavyweight Champion, still wore gloves when he was fighting in the WWF. Its a completely bogus point, that makes no sense whatsoever. I can’t see any issue at all with Lesnar wearing gloves while competing.

Ken Shamrock, The Undertaker and Bill Goldberg all wore/wear gloves while fighting, and none were to the detriment of the WWE.

The last thing WWE needs to do is present him as an MMA fighter rather than a wrestler who is genuienly hard.

They are presenting him as both. It doesn’t have to be either/or with him. He is someone who was a former WWE Champion AND a former UFC World Heavyweight Champion. In his first run in the WWE they presented him as an NCAA Champion, who was also a big fucking beast of a man. WWE are presenting him as an MMA fighter and a wrestler who is genuinely hard.

If he wore gloves in a wrestling match he would look like he is trying to cling to past accomplishments in a fake setting.

How exactly? I mean, thats the way it might look to you, but to everyone else it looks like Lesnar has gone to UFC, learnt a new trade/style and has a fondness for gloves because wearing them means he can muller someone in the face even harder without messing up his hands. He now looks like someone who was already really good at wrestling, who has now honed a new style, mastered a new craft, and is going to incorporate it into being even better at wrestling than he was before.

To wear gloves in the WWE would be like an advertisment for UFC.

No more so than when Ken Shamrock, The Undertaker and Bill Goldberg all wore gloves in the WWE.

EDIT: Fuck you Ian, stealing my point when I was in the middle of typing it. Get out of my head, man.

It's exactly what they need to promote him as a legit UFC champion. When Cena beats that glove wearing legit UFC guy it will all make sense. They are promoting him as a UFC champion legit badass to help legitamize whoever beats him. They are promoting UFC in a small way but WWE will always come out on top on their show. I'm expecting some brutality on Sunday like the welts on Taker in HIAC and the previous hardway during their exchange to get over that Cena the fake wrestler can hang with the legit UFC guy. Not much working more reality based sado-masochism.

Scream pubs appear to be showing this live. The Polar Bear in Leicester certainly is.

How weird. I remember watching a Lesnar match on ppv in the Polar Bear in Leicester back in 2003! Still got my yellow card for life. Ahhhhh cheap uni beer + burgers. Memories.

If I was still in Leicester I'd be down there like a shot come Sunday!

• Paid Members
Scream pubs appear to be showing this live. The Polar Bear in Leicester certainly is.

How weird. I remember watching a Lesnar match on ppv in the Polar Bear in Leicester back in 2003! Still got my yellow card for life. Ahhhhh cheap uni beer + burgers. Memories.

Check with your nearest Scream pub, because both the Polar Bear and the Phantom in Loughborough were showing Wrestlemania.

Check with your nearest Scream pub, because both the Polar Bear and the Phantom in Loughborough were showing Wrestlemania.

Sadly there are no Scream pubs in Melbourne, Australia.

On the bright side... There are no Scream pubs in Melbourne, Australia!

On a serious note there are zero public places that show wrestling ppvs over here. Apparently they did a few years,ago, but all the ppv companies started taking the bars to court and now nowhere is allowed to do public wrestling ppvs :(

Archived