WWE Extreme Rules Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

Undertaker and Goldberg didn't walk away from MMA after having their asses handed to them. Those gloves were part of their gimmick, but if Lesnar was to do it he would look like someone who can't distinguish between fantasy and reality.

Lesnar should be billed as a former WWE Champion who did MMA, not a former UFC Champion who wrestled for a bit.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
There's no way next year's Wrestlemania main eventer is getting in a WWE ring barefoot. Not a chance.

I was on about him changing his boots, rather than going barefoot.

Undertaker and Goldberg didn't walk away from MMA after having their asses handed to them. Those gloves were part of their gimmick, but if Lesnar was to do it he would look like someone who can't distinguish between fantasy and reality.

Lesnar should be billed as a former WWE Champion who did MMA, not a former UFC Champion who wrestled for a bit.

Try again.

Surely billing him as a former champion in "real" fighting sounds much better than a former champion in "fake" fighting. It's not as if WWE try to make people think it's all real anymore.

• Paid Members

I dont get the idea that "he got a good kicking in MMA, so nobody will believe he's hard anymore". Most people think wrestling is panto on steroids. Just because Lesnar cant beat Cain doesn't mean he cant beat ... Kane. I'd still back Brock in a real fight against most of the WWE locker room, even if he'd lost his last 8 fights. He looks like a monster.

As far as him wearing his MMA shit, thats going to happen anyway. He has sponsors to make happy. You arent going to fit his many sponsors on those wrestling trunks. Although, those boots look wrong with fight shorts.

• Paid Members
I dont get the idea that "he got a good kicking in MMA, so nobody will believe he's hard anymore". Most people think wrestling is panto on steroids. Just because Lesnar cant beat Cain doesn't mean he cant beat ... Kane. I'd still back Brock in a real fight against most of the WWE locker room, even if he'd lost his last 8 fights. He looks like a monster.

As far as him wearing his MMA shit, thats going to happen anyway. He has sponsors to make happy. You arent going to fit his many sponsors on those wrestling trunks. Although, those boots look wrong with fight shorts.

The thing that's daft with that to begin with is he became UFC champion and defended the belt in two other fights (during which he had a serious illness that affected his training/life). Real Cain couldn't even manage to defend his belt once after he got sparked out by Dos Santos worse than Lesnar ever did, does that make Cain a pussy? Lesnar is hardly Bobby Lashley.

His last fight was against a cheat anyway.

• Paid Members

Exactly, just because Lesnar lost a fight doesnt make him a pussy all of a sudden. Most MMA fighters lose a fight here and there. Is there anyone (who has had more than 1 or 2 matches) that is undefeated in MMA? He lost a real fight, for a Heavyweight Title, to a hard bastard. But he had to beat another hard bastard to win that title in the first place, and other hard bastards to defend that belt against before eventually losing it, after suffering a serious illness. Anyone who thinks that this makes Lesnar a wimp is a fucking looper, and probably mildly retarded.

That covers quite a few MMA fans, Johnny. I keep reading how Lesnar fluked his way to the title, and then how losing many inches of his guts wasn't the REAL problem when it came to his attempted comeback, it was his training or some shit.

Besides, all that is irrelevant. I don't think the WWE hopes that non-wrestling MMA fans will be won over to pro wrestling by Lesnar's appearance. Those guys hated Lesnar in the first place for being "fake", they're hardly going to decide to become fans because of him now.

No, to the casual fight fan or wrestling fan, Lesnar is a guy who's gone and proved himself in legit fighting, been the best in the world, and now comes back to the WWE as a still-young, tough and incredibly experienced guy who's going to shake things up. And they'll get some extra publicity from the MMA news media, which is a bonus.

My point is Lesnar needs to be a WWE guy, not a UFC guy. The last thing WWE needs to do is present him as an MMA fighter rather than a wrestler who is genuienly hard. Why is that so hard to undertsand? If he wore gloves in a wrestling match he would look like he is trying to cling to past accomplishments in a fake setting. To wear gloves in the WWE would be like an advertisment for UFC.

It is another feather in his cap sure, but it is not as his current persona. When he returned the first title Cole mentioned was the WWE Championship. And rightly so. On WWE TV the UFC should be treated as second. This is one of the problems TNA have had, they present other promotions as above them

• Paid Members

Lesnar is a former WWE champion. Wrestling fans know him as being The Pain and the Next Big Thing. People believe he can beat Cena because ... well ... he's beaten him a shitload of times, and we've seen a video package of him beating Hulk Hogan, Undertaker, The Rock and others. He isn't Pacman Jones or K-Fed. He's the former WWE Undisputed Champion, who is more than capable of beating any wrestler. Not because he's a UFC fighter, but because he's main evented a WrestleMania before and held the belt a few times.

Here's a question - should WWE have not mentioned Kurt Angle's Olympic win? Or when Austin got in Mike Tyson's face, should they have said "Austin has challenged the face of the fictional Punch Out game for the NES". Or that A-Train didnt leave to go to Japan and actually became a hardcase because of it. Or would that not have been the same as mentioning that one of your current roster members has held the UFC title?

• Paid Members
My point is Lesnar needs to be a WWE guy, not a UFC guy. The last thing WWE needs to do is present him as an MMA fighter rather than a wrestler who is genuienly hard. Why is that so hard to undertsand?

I would say alot more people recently, (other than fairly big wwe fans) know Lesner more for being in UFC. People would of known from UFC he was formally in WWE for sure as they mentioned it, but unless you've watched wrestling for a while, you may not even know who he is. Hence the recent update into what hes been doing.

There is no problem with this at all really. Anybody who knows him from UFC knows hes is totally legit as a complete monster, which included wearing gloves whilst kicking peoples asses. Everybody who knows him from WWE knew he was crazy to begin with, and i personally, think hes even more crazy now for being a former UFC champ.

If anything the gloves are just to protect his hands, and if you think about it logically, the fact is that is he wears gloves, he will be hitting you harder (in full contact sports anyway).

I dont see the issue.

• Paid Members

UFC is the most recent and publicly-known thing Lesnar's ever done. If there are any casual fans watching Raw because of him, and they didn't mention it at all, it'd look weird. WWE is the last place in the world that has a problem with not putting itself over as the most important thing going, and recognising the really famous thing that one of their top guys has been doing for the past few years doesn't change that a bit.

Ofcourse they should mention it, but it shouldn't be his entire character. Mentioning it during his intro to hype him up is a different level to him wearing MMA gloves in a wrestling ring.

Angle being in the Olympics and Tyson boxing are completly different. UFC is more competition to the WWE than the Olympics/boxing are. It is closer to The Rock being a wrestler or a movie star. The Rock is a wrestler who has done movies, similar to how Lesnar is a wrestler who did MMA. Well at least that is how they should be portrayed on WWE TV.

Archived