GAME enters administration

Mr Posh

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could just do the mod edit thing, like we usually do for stupid-long posts, but the combination of that and the post that precedes it is too funny to take down.

:laugh: Blimey, that went well, didn't it!

Found this on another forum

The administrators of collapsed video games retailer Game said today they will close 277 stores in the UK and Ireland, leading to 2,089 job losses.

Game has 14 stores in the Republic of Ireland and 121 jobs will be lost at its stores in Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Monaghan and Athlone.

Administrators PWC Ireland confirmed that 13 stores in Northern Ireland have closed or will close with the loss of 110 jobs.

The UK operations of the retailer, which trades as Game and Gamestation, collapsed into administration after it suffered dire trading in recent months, while some suppliers refused to stock the business.

The administrators said the remaining 333 stores in the UK and Ireland, which employ 2,814 staff, will continue to trade while they try to find a buyer for the remainder of the business.

The five stores in Northern Ireland that will remain open are in Belfast (Donegall Arcade and the Abbey Centre), Newtownards, Craigavon and Derry.

Some staff at the Irish branches are considering a sit-in in pursuit of enhanced redundancy entitlements.

PWC have told staff the company will not be paying any redundancy and they will have to apply to the State for the bare minimum statutory redundancy payments.

Manager of the Blanchardstown branch Will Donoghue said he had been called by his regional manager this morning and told to cease trading immediately.

Mr Donoghue, who has been with the company for 17 years, said the staff at the Irish stores are going to organise what they will do next.

Game employs over 10,000 people at 1,270 stores in nine European countries and in Australia.

Seems the staff are not even going to get their redundancy payments now staff at some shops are staging sit ins until they get paid

• Paid Members
I've never even heard of CEX. Is it another chain store selling video games?

Amongst other things. They usually smell of a mix of spliffs and McFlurries and have creaky floorboards near the poorly stocked world cinema section.

You've been to the Stockport one then.

that's gutting news that, was only in the liverpool stores on friday. they must have happened quick cos i was in bootle strand around 11.30 this morning and didn't notice either the game or gamestation stores with shutters down

My brother went in Gamestation about 1pm when he passed it again half a hour later it was closed. he was even talking to the staff as he knows many of them and they didn't say anything so even they didn't know it was going to be that quick though they were expecting it in the next few days

• Paid Members

I'm a bit confused that neither of the stockport stores have closed. They have a gamestation next door to a game, si I would have thought that one of them was bound to go, but both still open.

I find the whole thing very sad. I know how hard it is to get a job at the moment.

Archived