GAME enters administration

Mr Posh

The Gamestation near me closed down yesterday. A mate of mine is the manager and he said they went in for 8:30 to open up as normal then just before 10 they got a call to shut up the shop. He had to phone up the rest of the staff to let them know. Knowing himit wouldn't suprise me if I were to go round his and find a load of stock in his spare room.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a bit confused that neither of the stockport stores have closed. They have a gamestation next door to a game, si I would have thought that one of them was bound to go, but both still open.

I have to say looking at that list of closed stores that was posted about 98 times, there doesn't seem to be much logic in the stores they have closed, for example in Sheffield they have closed all their stores in the city centre and Meadowhall leaving them with no stores in the entire city, where as in Peterborough they have left all 3 stores open despite the fact they are only a stone

• Paid Members

They knew it was coming but the actual closure of our GAME was brutal. Area manager called in the morning telling them to close the store at 12pm and from then they are all redundant. Gamestation just round the corner were still going yesterday, off into town in a bit to see if they're open.

As much as we hated the actual company and their stupid ways, I made some amazing friends through working there and we had a great time, it's the only job I've had that I miss even though the store manager at the time put me through hell. Very sad that they all have now lost their jobs, especially on this lovely island, where the BBC called the job situation "Horrendous". And yet another empty shop, soon to be two.

EDIT:

Our Gamestation is still going, hopefully it stays that way. The rumor mill of course is rife but without naming names, I'm sure you can find it who I'm talking about on the internet, there are currently two potential buyers that are interested but not at the current asking price. One of them, would do absolutely nothing beneficial for the company in my opinion as they know nothing about the games industry. The other, would be a dream come true not only for the company itself but also for consumers. But, as always the way with GAME they're going to have to bring their price down before they stand a chance of being bought.

• Paid Members
The other company interested was GameStop. :(

If forums are anything to go by GameStop have a terrible reputation.

Yeah Gamestop suck they had a shop that lasted less then a year in Glasgow.

• Paid Members
I honestly do not know who would want to buy them considering they now cannot sell the biggest selling games due to contractual reasons. That alone will have a huge knock on effect for sales.

The theory presumably is that EA will start supplying them again once they are confident of getting paid on time. And certainly when it comes to utter reliability and creditworthiness, you can trust RBS.

Archived