Sickening Acts of Stiffness

Forrest

• Moderators
And that's where that Misawa death is a perfect example of what I just said. Misawa was a accident waiting to happen. Anyone who followed the last 3 years of his career could see he was not fit to be in the ring. He was a hazard to himself and equally so to his opponents.

Why was he not fit top be in the ring? Why was he a hazard? Because of his style of the previous years.

Musawa was a wrestler, hence he was a massive carny who was never about to retire whether he should or not. The majority of Wrestlers are seemingly like that, so for their own wellbeing they should wind it the fuck in as regards stiffness and going hell for leather all the time. The super stiff guys are really the biggest marks. Who's working who? It's the crowds saying "This is fake shit" as morons beat the shit out of each other. It's retarded. It's pointless.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whats the point in such stiffness in wrestling to enhance realism, when matches are full of tonnes of shit that's completely unrealistic anyway? Any impact that legit strikes brings is surely negated when you then watch them do irish whips and suchlike?

You can see why it would become an issue with the Bushido/UWfi type stuff, but it's all a bit silly and self-defeating in normal pro wrestling imo.

Bang on. The people who want to see wrestlers kick each other full-force in the face all the time are odd as fuck. It's not about realism for them really, it's about wanting to watch people genuinely hurt themselves in a display that still looks fake. They're no better than the deathmatch fans. Reminds me of those characters on League of Gentlemen who used to rate films by "How many killings?" were in them.

And that's where that Misawa death is a perfect example of what I just said. Misawa was a accident waiting to happen. Anyone who followed the last 3 years of his career could see he was not fit to be in the ring. He was a hazard to himself and equally so to his opponents.

Why was he not fit top be in the ring? Why was he a hazard? Because of his style of the previous years.

Because Misawa didn't take time off and heal his injuries. Because he was still wrestling the same style he'd done for 20 years. And therefore wrestling like he was in his physical prime when he was far from it. He hadn't renewed himself. He hadn't adapted to the body signals as he should have and adjusted his ways accordingly. And because he didn't let his injuries time to get better he became out of shape, heavy/fat, and his timing dropped dramatically!

Musawa was a wrestler, hence he was a massive carny who was never about to retire whether he should or not. The majority of Wrestlers are seemingly like that, so for their own wellbeing they should wind it the fuck in as regards stiffness and going hell for leather all the time. The super stiff guys are really the biggest marks. Who's working who? It's the crowds saying "This is fake shit" as morons beat the shit out of each other. It's retarded. It's pointless.

And that's where the sport needs to be more professional when it comes to accepting ones physical limits and admit that one is hurt and act on that and make decisions and changes based on how their situation is. That's a personal responsibility, but also a administrative responsibility. Thats where previous generations have failed.

You make it sound even more meaningless to be a fan of wrestling then it is. Sure there are lots of loopholes in the pro-wrestling mentality of building a match that doesn't make sense one bit up against the other. And the wrestlers clearly need to work on that bit too because there is just too much running around dancing at the moment. But as far as giving up making the wrestling look legit because its fake anyway is really copping out and accepting mediocrity to be the standard.

One don't want the wrestlers to kill themselfs. But one still need to feel the fight. Hard, safe places and such, plus on occasions being able to take some out of the norm blows (not necessary meaning stiff or dangerous, but stuff that might suggest one need special rounded training to take) for hot moments and turning points.

--PUNQ--

• Paid Members
That match where John Cena got a massive stotty on, while tagging with Trish Stratus is definitely up there. I couldnt blame him either.

According a recent Keiji Mutoh interview it appears stiffness is an issue in All Japan, though they seem to have a remedy in place....

Pardon my ignorance but what do those things he's holding do?

Google Tenga, but don't do it at work......

• Paid Members

I can maybe understand stiffing each other in the days when the lines were blurred and kayfabe was the order of the day, but stiffing each other when everybody knows it's a show is daft. Even if you do kick somebody full in the face, a lot of people will think it's 'worked'. Like when people think the steel chairs are gimmicked, 'cause what would be the point in using real ones in a fake match?!'

It's why I love Bret Hart's work so much. Everything looked effective but he was famously as safe as an elite worker can be. Hart realised that story and drama are far more important than daft suplexes on the back of the head.

• Paid Members
I definitely wouldn't say he has the reputation of stiffing people, but Goldust had some really hard hitting matches with Sheamus on ECW in the summer of 2009, there was one he had with Regal on Superstars a couple of years ago that was pretty brutal, too. And there was a Smackdown match between Undertaker and Finlay that they both must have felt the next morning! I can't even think of a rough time frame when that was though, let's say 2006?

Goldust is a proper oldschool wrassler though, and while he's not got a reputation of stiffing people (quite the opposite), I get the feeling he likes an opponent who will lay it in a bit thick and expect it back, which is why with guys like Regal he'll go against expectation and go in hard.

Regal, Benoit and Finlay are perfect examples of this, with their headbutting contests.

I think stiffness, particularly in the Japanese and Davey Richards sense, has taken on some of the mentallity of the deathmatcher, where it becomes a contest to see who will take the hardest shots (and usually selling them pretty lightly).

And Misawa shouldn't have been in the ring for his last match because his neck was already in a state where bumping carried a high risk of serious injury.

• Paid Members
Time to post the GAEA Girls incident again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQB02OL1u-8

Skip to 1.40.

The fact that Plum Mariko a fullly trained pro had died only a few years prior from head injuries make this kind of crap even more worrying.

This was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread, it makes my stomach turn.

The super stiff guys are really the biggest marks. Who's working who? It's the crowds saying "This is fake shit" as morons beat the shit out of each other. It's retarded. It's pointless.

Exactly, I hate it, I really think a pro wrestler should have to be tougher than a normal guy on the street but they're meant to be working together. If someone wants to really kick/get kicked as hard as possible they should just become an MMA fighter. I can take it when both parties fancy it a bit stiff and old school but when someone picks on someone who doesn't deserve or expect it that's the worst.

A guy like Jericho is perfect, wrestled all over the world, complete pro, never hear of him being dangerous but he can certainly look after himself, he even took Goldberg down.

Archived