NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

14 hours ago, Supremo said:

What the fuck is Ricochet doing in Developmental though? Jesus Christ. The lad should be WWE Champion.

He's getting better, that's what he's doing there.  Just as Dream is.  I really like Ricochet, but that crazy scramble style is just NOT going to work on the main roster long-term, for a whole host of reasons we've discussed over the years on this forum.  I also think he needs more confidence on the mic.  He's getting there but I'd rather he got more practice in on NXT than had a bad first night on Raw and never recovered.

Also... also... as we're continually being told, NXT is now an official 3rd brand.  People are hired JUST for NXT.  So maybe super-indy guys like Ricochet are only ever there to be part of that brand.  And as long as they continue putting on great matches, are we really that bothered?

• Paid Members

@Loki nailed it for me. There's some merit to what the SCG lads said on the Rumble weekend cast (cheque in the mail please @Liam O'Rourke) about the choreography of an O'Chet match and there not being enough "fight"/"struggle" in place of it just being 20 minutes of smooth sequences. All sizzle not enough steak. It's fine to pop a TakeOver crowd but for every Joe who can deliver a great match but also look the part in a main roster pull apart brawl, there's five of Neville or Austin Aries or Hideo who aren't meant for the top of the top.

9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

All sizzle not enough steak.

That's a great way of putting it.  I think I said I wasn't a fan of the Ricochet/Gargano match at the last Takeover, and that's why.  The cool spots need to grow organically out of a very real sense of struggle,  not just be chained together for 15 minutes.  It reminded me of the match that Jody Fleisch and Jonny Storm used to do all those years ago.  You do this, then I do that, then you do this, then I do that, we both sell for about 10 seconds, then off to the top turnbuckle again.

It's always worth remembering that Hogan could achieve a similar pop to Ricochet in the 80s from cupping his ear.  Engaging the audience, from the front row to the nosebleeds, is all about drama and storytelling.  That's why I'm so high on talent like Baszler in NXT - she really GETS the storytelling and pacing aspect of wrestling in a way some male wrestlers with infinitely more experience don't.

All this to say - Ricochet is great, and I DO like the occasional spot-fest but they come with their own issues, setting the barrier that little bit higher and the injury-potential that little bit higher for the next one.  NXT has always walked a fine line giving those guys their head, and teaching them when to rein it in.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:23 PM, Snitsky's back acne said:

It's why I can imagine them keeping both in NXT for a while longer. Shafir and Duke have been working with Io and Kairi for a few months now and I can only imagine it being of benefit to both of them. 

I do think they missed a trick saying 'first EVER tag champs' though - clips of how revolutionary the Jumping Bomb Angels were in the 80's interspersed with clips of Io and Kairi would be a great build up for them in my opinion. 

Kairi has been working Smackdown live events over the weekend, so the team might not last much longer. They did similar with Nikki Cross, but she wasn’t called up for quite some time even then, but having had Kairi Sane appear in 2 Royal Rumbles already, I imagine she’s getting called up very soon. Shirai I reckon will stay in NXT the rest of the year and may be the one to dethrone Shayna

• Paid Members

Kairi is a good example of getting the balance right. Sells her arse off, developed a character, every fight feels like one, a couple of signature spots that she gets over easily without near killing herself or her opponent. A polished pro that could be pushed to the top if desired. NXT for her was more about gradually introducing her to their audience and letting them figure out she's a star rather than developing her as a wrestler.

59 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Shirai I reckon will stay in NXT the rest of the year and may be the one to dethrone Shayna

Give that man a goldfish, I think he's right.

• Paid Members

Ricochet is amazing. His agility is breathtaking. He looks the business. He's just cool which so much of WWE just isn't. He should be ripping it up on the big shows. 

He's not perfect. I really think he gets it and his crowd work shows it but he's guilty a little bit of moving from spot to spot. But you know what? It doesn't matter even a fucking tiny bit. His upside is so good that it's not enough to hold against him. He's not exactly what WWE demands their wrestlers be and that isn't an issue at all. That shit is why so many guys are cut from the same cloth and have the same competent but dull matches week after week.

I've never loved spotty guys but when you get a guy who's spots are so polished and so spectacular like a young Rey Mysterio then you don't look for barriers - you find a way to make him the attraction he is.

• Paid Members

I'm a natural pessimist to Ric' having a shot because I considered Pac/Neville to be every bit as smooth and dynamic as he is, but with strength he doesn't have, and they didn't have a fucking clue once he got called up.

• Paid Members

I'm totally on board with the, "more sizzle than steak," assessment of Ricochet, but you know what? I've had my fill of steak. I get hours of steak every week. If anything, the fact that he's not working like everyone else and is more spot-to-spot is what makes me enjoy him far more than most. The last thing they need is another guy wrestling like every other guy.

It reminds me of when RVD rocked up in 2001. By their standards he was a spot monkey who couldn't work WWE style. The fans didn't give a fuck though. Neither did I. He was immediately embraced and got over more than anyone else during the Invasion for that very reason - when your spots are that spectacular and you stand out as being so different to everyone else, sometimes that's all that matters. Especially if you've got enough talented guys for him to face in order to fill in the gaps.

The longer Ricochet spends in NXT and the more they try and teach him how to round off his style the more boring he'll likely become. I'd genuinely be already trying to figure out how to debut him in time for a spectacular Wrestlemania entrance where he somehow flies to the ring like a superhero. Wham him in with the Smackdown lot to cover any supposed weaknesses. You'd be kidding yourself if you tried to argue he wouldn't get over. A month in, doing that style, flying around like a fucking boss? He'd be ready to face Daniel Bryan for the belt. Easily.

• Paid Members

In the "all sizzle and no steak" regard, I'd say that Ricochet has already improved tenfold in that regard since being in NXT. His big flippy spots aren't as frequent as they were on the indies, and he tends to start out with a fair bit of matwork, and the more well rounded he's become. He's got much better at making sure the big spots matter when they do happen, and giving each one time to register. So him being in NXT certainly seems to be worthwhile.

The thing is, while there's an argument for striking while the iron is hot and capitalising on him being able to do mad shit now, what happens if Ricochet goes down with an Austin-esque neck injury forcing him to change his style? What happens when age catches up with him and he slows down, or can't manage that extra rotation on the 450 Splash or whatever? If all he brings to the table is the flips, the moment he can't do the flips he's got nothing - so anything intended to develop a bit of character, or round out his skillset, can only be good for his longevity.

I tell you, in that HalfTime Heat match, I thought The Dream stood out as the megastar in the making.  The best bit of the whole match was him checking his playbook on his wrist in between sequences.  He's just so unbelievably talented and physically impressive. 

25 minutes ago, Loki said:

I tell you, in that HalfTime Heat match, I thought The Dream stood out as the megastar in the making.  The best bit of the whole match was him checking his playbook on his wrist in between sequences.  He's just so unbelievably talented and physically impressive. 

It's little things like that which totally set him apart to everyone else. Also loved when he came out in the Hollywood Hogan attire at a recent Takeover.

I've seen clips of the Tough Enough he was on and they make it so obvious how much of a fan he is, he's a super fan. Loves every aspect of the business and it was a real shock when he was voted out but I think even Jericho said then that he knew it wouldn't be the last we'd see of him.

Everyone has worries about what they'll do with him on the main roster but the praise HBK gave him at the weekend fills me with confidence they'll treat him like the star that he is. He's the next Rock.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Winston said:

I've seen clips of the Tough Enough he was on and they make it so obvious how much of a fan he is, he's a super fan. 

Am I totally mis-remembering this but wasn't he scolded plenty of times on the show for not having any clue about the business? Like he was totally oblivious. 

I was under the impression he'd just seriously got his head down after going back and making the absolute most out of everything around him and soaking it all up. That combined with an obvious natural talent.