NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

So here's a weird little tidbit that I don't think has been discussed yet;

They taped two finishes for that Gargano/Dream match; one where Dream wins, but then they immediately shot a different finish with Gargano winning.

From the PWI Insider live report of the 31/1 tapings;

– NXT North American Championship: Velveteen Dream def. Johnny Gargano

This one gets a little weird. Dream hit a rolling dvd and the flying elbow to win the match. His music hits, he poses with the title. As he’s walking up the ramp, Gargano attacks him. Dream hits the same finishing sequence, but misses the elbow. Gargano let Costco in the Gargano Escape and Dream taps. Johnny grabs the belt and celebrates and poses on the ramp. Dream looks confused as he leaves.

Did the original finish count? Did they tape two endings? Did Johnny just steal the belt? It wasn’t made clear to the audience.

Is this NXT's way of combating spoilers? Or was it an angle that they then scrapped?

Combating spoilers, or tape two to endings one for changing the title to Dream and one to keep it on Gargano as he was going to appearing on RAW as North American champion before this episode aired, and maybe they hadn’t fully decided on the direction they were going to go for the next set of tapings (which happened last night). Obviously he could have just shown up on RAW as champion as a title wouldn’t have aired yet, but you know what fans are like

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Combating spoilers, tape two to endings one for changing the title to Dream and one to keep it on Gargano as he was going to appearing on RAW as North American champion before this episode aired. Obviously he could have just shown up on RAW as champion, but you know what fans are like

By all accounts (and by that I mean the 'dirtsheets'), bringing up Gargano was a last-minute arrangement so I doubt it was filmed that way to help with continuity, as they likely didn't know about his call-up at the time.

It does strike me as an odd way to keep the title matches kinda spoiler free. Personally, I rarely have any issues as I just mute words likes 'spoilers', 'tapings', 'scoops' and 'NXT' on social media following the week of the tapings. Usually does the trick.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

By all accounts (and by that I mean the 'dirtsheets'), bringing up Gargano was a last-minute arrangement

I'm calling BS on Meltzer's claim alluding to this. They seemed quite prepared for their debuts. I know it probably doesn't take much for somebody to nip up to Wilkos and pick up some candles for Aleister Black's entrance, but I still don't believe it was last minute.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I'm a bit cautious on it too, but I still doubt they knew back in January that he was going to be on RAW before the next set of tapings. Hence why I'm more in the camp of it being a quirky way to dispel spoilers, and it's also one step away from NXT becoming the first ever 'Choose Your Own' adventure wrestling show.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I can believe that they probably didn't know about it at the time of the tapings. I'd put that down to avoiding spoilers to be honest, especially as it isn't often you get title changes outside of live Takeover shows.

I was at the live tapings with dream/Gargano and it never looked to me like they were filming two endings (without serious editing!!), so I was surprised that was the online consensus.

Tapings last night were spectacular- best I’ve ever been to, literally couldn’t even squeeze in a bathroom break! Ran into Mauro in the car park and what a lovely human being. Told his driver at one point to hold on while he went back to talk to more fans who had summoned him.

Edited by Sonny Mustang