Monday Night Raw 27/2/12 *SPOILERS*

Daaaaaad!

I agree with Ian. The Rock is able to come out with an auto pilot promo because he gets the reactions he gets - reactions that nobody bar Triple H, Michaels and Undertaker around Wrestlemania time and Cena once in a blue moon gets. He doesn't have to be coming out with a Shakespearean soliloquy about his motivations or a long, heartfelt lament like Bret or Mick Foley circa 97, because he can simply say something ridiculous like 'Kung Pow' and get the crowd screaming their lungs out for it seconds later. When Austin was at his peak feuding with the likes of Vince, Bret and Triple H, it was always the heel who was cutting the best and most interesting promos technically, simply because they had to to get people to listen. Austin could just ramble on, say a few catchphrases at the end, and blow the roof off the building.

It's all a matter of opinion, but I can't go along with the jaded 'wish he'd just stayed away if that's the best he can do' attitudes. I'm just thrilled to have a bonafide star who can evoke crowd reactions like that in wrestling again.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with Ian. The Rock is able to come out with an auto pilot promo because he gets the reactions he gets - reactions that nobody bar Triple H, Michaels and Undertaker around Wrestlemania time and Cena once in a blue moon gets. He doesn't have to be coming out with a Shakespearean soliloquy about his motivations or a long, heartfelt lament like Bret or Mick Foley circa 97, because he can simply say something ridiculous like 'Kung Pow' and get the crowd screaming their lungs out for it seconds later. When Austin was at his peak feuding with the likes of Vince, Bret and Triple H, it was always the heel who was cutting the best and most interesting promos technically, simply because they had to to get people to listen. Austin could just ramble on, say a few catchphrases at the end, and blow the roof off the building.

It's all a matter of opinion, but I can't go along with the jaded 'wish he'd just stayed away if that's the best he can do' attitudes. I'm just thrilled to have a bonafide star who can evoke crowd reactions like that in wrestling again.

Don't undercut Cena there though Magnum. He might not quite control them as Rock did (but who else ever has?), but he certainly gets them out their chairs. I know you've said in previous posts he represents big part of your disinterest in the current product, but the one thing they've been able to dine out on with Cena all these years is that he provokes a huge reaction from most people in the arena, even in the quietest crowds.

He's also the other guy in this feud, and thus should be given 'credit' for helping The Rock get these sort of responses. Cena's a total one-off nowadays, in that The Rock could come back and get "Mr Ziggles" trending if he was feuding with Dolph Ziggler, but the ease in which he would slice and dice a full bore heel would have loads less drama. Miz and R-Truth were evidence of that in November. Everybody was over in the Attitude era, so the Austin's and Rock's of the worlds had their roof-lifting promos enhanced by the fact that the audience had the contrasting emotion to the other guy as well.

Don't undercut Cena there though Magnum. He might not quite control them as Rock did (but who else ever has?), but he certainly gets them out their chairs. I know you've said in previous posts he represents big part of your disinterest in the current product, but the one thing they've been able to dine out on with Cena all these years is that he provokes a huge reaction from most people in the arena, even in the quietest crowds.

He's also the other guy in this feud, and thus should be given 'credit' for helping The Rock get these sort of responses. Cena's a total one-off nowadays, in that The Rock could come back and get "Mr Ziggles" trending if he was feuding with Dolph Ziggler, but the ease in which he would slice and dice a full bore heel would have loads less drama. Miz and R-Truth were evidence of that in November. Everybody was over in the Attitude era, so the Austin's and Rock's of the worlds had their roof-lifting promos enhanced by the fact that the audience had the contrasting emotion to the other guy as well.

Absoutely, I'm not disputing that - and I have to admit that I'm enjoying the thunderous boos Cena's getting in this feud almost as much as the loud ovations for Rocky. It's like derby day, but without the legitimate hatred or the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.

The only thing I object to is the implication I'm picking up in some posts that Cena is supposedly doing so much better than Rock because he's coming out with edgy, quasi-shoot comments while Rock is resorting to generic audience interaction and childish insults. The truth is that Rock doesn't really have the same license as Cena for the equivalent near-the-knuckle comments because he'd be indirectly burying Cena's peers and the company itself.

What are the near-the-knuckle comments that Rock could be making but hasn't? Over the course of the feud, he's had more than one bit about Cena appealing to young fans and turning old fans away. Last night, he was on about Cena doing nothing new other than changing his shorts, on about Cena being shoved down everyone's throats and being a fake white-boy rapper who went to private school. He called all the roster pussies for needing Cena to fight for them as well, so pretending that he's holding back for their sake makes no sense.

I thought it was a really good show on the whole. The Punk and Jericho promo was the best bit. Those two are definitely amongst the best in the business at cutting promos, there was some terrific stuff in there and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do at Mania. There were a couple of nice matches also, with Punk/Bryan and the Tag Title match.

The Rock promo was just there. I love seeing the guy and I'm really looking forward to the match but but they're just not letting him be ''The Rock''.I'm not gonna blame him for that, it a scripted show but it is getting slightly annoying now. Cena's allowed to go out there and say all sorts of stuff, whereas The Rock isn't really saying all that much. I just want him to cut one, just one, old school Rock promo on Cena. Enough of this trending worldwide bullshit ad the like. I want The Rock back!

• Paid Members

Haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if I repeat what anyone's said. I thought Rock's promo had the odd moment where it could've been good, but for the most part it was well off. All wacky chants and the odd swear for a pop. What the fuck is a kung pow bitch supposed to be? Lame. I'm Cenation all the fucking way for Wrestlemania, Cena's been super-awesome these past 2 weeks.

Thought it was a pretty good show overall, anyway. The Eve stuff's daft, I wasn't crazy about Henry getting jobbed out, and Jericho's starting to get a bit repetitive (probably on purpose, but whatever), but I can't think of anything else that was particularly bad. Kane beating up the tag team division is forgivable if it's leading to something.

I thought it was a really good show on the whole. The Punk and Jericho promo was the best bit. Those two are definitely amongst the best in the business at cutting promos, there was some terrific stuff in there and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do at Mania. There were a couple of nice matches also, with Punk/Bryan and the Tag Title match.

The Rock promo was just there. I love seeing the guy and I'm really looking forward to the match but but they're just not letting him be ''The Rock''.I'm not gonna blame him for that, it a scripted show but it is getting slightly annoying now. Cena's allowed to go out there and say all sorts of stuff, whereas The Rock isn't really saying all that much. I just want him to cut one, just one, old school Rock promo on Cena. Enough of this trending worldwide bullshit ad the like. I want The Rock back!

If he does that now, he has nothing else to use over next 4 weeks. Raw before mania, I'd expect cenas ass handed to him and fists thrown

I hated Cena before it was popular to hate Cena, when he started feuding with GM Angle in early 2004 and I always loved The Rock as I started watching at Royal Rumble 1999 when he went at it with Mankind but I have to say I am ‎100% Team Cena, everyone on Team Rock can take their rose tinted glasses off any time they like. He isnt on John's level at the moment and its going to take a lot to change my mind

I thought Jericho showed more with his facial expressions, selling Punk's put downs than he did on the microphone. When Punk said he was never the man and a few other things Jericho's face conceded defeat and I thought it was good subtle story telling that their feud has lacked. Punk aint the man he thinks he is though, they are both still upper mid carders who get to wear the belt when its convenient for business in my opinion. The feud has been boring so far but may pick up, I just hope it does as there feels like there is little animosity going into this match

everything else felt like filler and the Eve segments were dreadful although she looks amazing, the over the top laughing is the worst I have seen ever

Some very odd analysis going on in here and on other forums.

"LOLZ CENA CAME OUT AND HANDED DA ROCK'S ASS 2 HIM. DWAYNE IZ STOOPID!"

Hey what now? Do we think The Rock and Cena turn up to the show and there's no scripting whatsoever? That Cena wasn't kept short and sharp by the scheduling of the show and it played out the way it was meant to?

I mean I'm all for getting into the spirit of things, but let's not treat it like it's two guys turning up and doing whatever the hell they want to do.

I have absolutely no doubt that WWE would never ever ever bring back The Rock or any other ex-wrestler to BURY their top guy. Don't get me wrong, they're doing a decent job of letting them go at it, but there has to be a stopping point. Much like the Punk leaves with the belt business - it NEARLY works, but there's a stopping point where it doesn't quite reach the heights you want it to.

• Paid Members

They're doing the Bret and Shawn thing, where they "leak" things to internet sites that arent true to create a buzz. Thats what the whole writing on the wrist was about. Pro Wrestling Insider reported that it was real and that Rock got double crossed and was legit angry ... and then took it down when they realised they were the only one's being daft enough to believe it. Its really strange this angle, because the insults are based in reality and are very snappy. Its pretty close to the bone, I feel. Much like the Bret vs Shawn angle was. I hope they've both got thick skin.

Only thing is, Bret and Shawn got worked into a shoot and started believing it. Wouldnt surprise me if there was real heat between them, but what we are seeing on TV is all wrestling bullshit, straight from the pen of Brian Gewertz. I hope they've got some ideas for the next few weeks. Shit catchphrases and "LOL you read your lines" wont stay fresh for the next five weeks.

Granted it's been said plenty of times on this thread already but John Cena was fantastic again last night.The Rock was just awful out there rambling on about Kung Pow Chicken and all the things he's had trending on Twitter.His pushing aside and explanation of his 'never going away' comment was rubbish and not the least bit convincing.

Cena's promo reminded me of the biting raps and promos he used to deliver every week back in the day.I'm behind Cena all the way as regards WrestleMania.

Next week's Raw should be interesting aswell what with Shawn Michaels,although Teddy Long will be fast forward material.Saying that Smack Down is must watch with

Laurinaitis at the helm.

It's a difficult thing to write I think.

I mean they're letting The Rock criticise their top talent more than he ever has been in a serious manner, but what about long term?

Once The Rock has gone back to movies, or moved on to feud no.2 etc, then what?

That's something I don't think has been considered a huge amount - fall out.

wh1007 - Shrink the sig if you can dude :)

Archived