Monday Night Raw 27/2/12 *SPOILERS*

Daaaaaad!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope they've got some ideas for the next few weeks. Shit catchphrases and "LOL you read your lines" wont stay fresh for the next five weeks.

Surely Rock will have a match on Raw? Possibly against Miz.

That would be a terrible idea to give away The Rock's first singles match in years on Raw!

• Paid Members
That would be a terrible idea to give away The Rock's first singles match in years on Raw!

They arent selling WrestleMania on the Rock's return to the ring though. Its all about Cena vs Rock.

Imagine if the Miz injured the Rock, though? Its just that poor bastards luck. I think Triple H would end up giving him a real good kicking if that happened.

I hope they've got some ideas for the next few weeks. Shit catchphrases and "LOL you read your lines" wont stay fresh for the next five weeks.

Surely Rock will have a match on Raw? Possibly against Miz.

Bollocks would it. Rock vs Cena is the draw at WrestleMania, not Rock In His Pants Against One Man.

What are the near-the-knuckle comments that Rock could be making but hasn't? Over the course of the feud, he's had more than one bit about Cena appealing to young fans and turning old fans away. Last night, he was on about Cena doing nothing new other than changing his shorts, on about Cena being shoved down everyone's throats and being a fake white-boy rapper who went to private school. He called all the roster pussies for needing Cena to fight for them as well, so pretending that he's holding back for their sake makes no sense.

That Cena's had so long unchallenged on top because the rest of his generation are so utterly shit, and all the other real stars have either fucked off or gone part-time. That, while Rock and Austin had to be at the top of their game and constantly evolve because they were not just competing with WCW but also, for a time, mainstream pop culture like Monday Night Football, Cena has been allowed to coast (character-wise) and still remain in that top spot because he dominated the business in the cosy holding pattern of a monopoly era. That, while Cena criticises Rock for fucking off to become a legitimate star in mainstream entertainment, hypothetically he's only stayed himself because Vince feathered his nest with personal vanity products like an album and a few B-movies.

It's understandable why none of that has been brought up - as previously stated, they'd draw unnecessary attention to how comparatively shit the WWE has been in the last decade, and how weak Cena's generation is in comparison to Rock's - but, for me, Cena's 'shoot' comments are coming across more biting because they're designed to make the company look bigger and more attractive than it is, and Rock look like a sellout for leaving it. From a kayfabe POV, I always come away from these promos thinking Cena should think himself damn lucky that The Rock left when he did, because he certainly wouldn't have had 7 unchallenged years as the company's top babyface earner if he'd stuck around.

• Paid Members

Raw has definitely done it's job in making me tune in next week without question. There's still 4 Raws left until Mania, no one is going to show their whole hand yet - let's see what they'll do next.

It was interesting to watch this promo with my wife beside me, who is a casual fan (at best!). Essentially her feedback throughout the promo followed this pattern:

"Speak then, stop fishing for cheers."

"I wish he'd stop talking about Twitter, he sounds a right dick"

"Why is he all smiley now? He used to be all aloof and cool"

"He's not actually saying anything"

"Is he trying to make up new catchphrases for T shirts? It won't catch on."

"Isn't Cena going to come out and interrupt him? He's been going on for ages."

Then Cena came out, outshone him completely, and walked off triumphant.

"Look how flustered Rock is now. Is this a scripted bit?"

Essentially, that segment turned my wife from being completely indifferent to 100% behind Cena and quite excited at the prospect of Rock getting 'shown up' at Wrestlemania.

That Cena's had so long unchallenged on top because the rest of his generation are so utterly shit, and all the other real stars have either fucked off or gone part-time.

"You're only on top because everyone else around is shitter than you" doesn't make much sense as a putdown because it's true of every main eventer from every era.

That, while Rock and Austin had to be at the top of their game and constantly evolve because they were not just competing with WCW but also, for a time, mainstream pop culture like Monday Night Football,

I thought Monday Night Football was still going. They're still definitely competing and trying to compare with other stuff, if all the "Did You Know?" shite is anything to go by.

That, while Cena criticises Rock for fucking off to become a legitimate star in mainstream entertainment, hypothetically he's only stayed himself because Vince feathered his nest with personal vanity products like an album and a few B-movies.

He'd be on very shaky ground playing the "you'd leave wrestling as well" card because it shows his own disregard for it as much as anything else. And he's already pushing his luck with the "you only got into wrestling because you failed at something else" hypocrisy.

It's understandable why none of that has been brought up - as previously stated, they'd draw unnecessary attention to how comparatively shit the WWE has been in the last decade, and how weak Cena's generation is in comparison to Rock's -

As it stands, Rock's done a good job of smashing a lot of rose-tinted glasses. Everyone had sort of blocked out how shite he'd gotten in that last year of his proper career (summer 2001 to summer 2002), but he's taken that version of himself to its logical evolution now. I think a lot of people have realised that enjoying his big run was heavily dependent on being an adolescent (literally or mentally) as well, and now we're adults his routine's a bit shit. If anything, he's drawn attention to how the common perception that the attitude era was so much better than now is down to the format growing stale rather than any actual difference in quality (at least among the respective top dogs).

There are plenty of rose-tints left intact, of course, especially in live crowds. I'm sure those of us who are appalled by his shitness on telly would get the goosebumps if we were in attendance at any of these shows where he does shit speeches about Twitter. Given that Rock's probably not going to do many towns twice now, chances are he'll still get good responses everywhere because of that novelty factor.

From a kayfabe POV, I always come away from these promos thinking Cena should think himself damn lucky that The Rock left when he did, because he certainly wouldn't have had 7 unchallenged years as the company's top babyface earner if he'd stuck around.

I don't quite get how your "kayfabe POV" fits with Cena thinking himself lucky he's been the "top babyface earner" -- especially in the context of these promos? I can see it when Rock beat him up at Survivor Series, maybe. But even then, Cena's been left laying by sneak-attacks and such before by modern opponents and it hasn't shaken his self-belief (for the most part) or his status.

RAW was alright and Johnny Ace was just ace!

I'm one of the few who was satisfied with Rock's promo. I love the guy and he can interact with the crowd like nobody else. Of course he didn't give the greatest promo he could have but it was still decent. Cena did his typical "I'm the greatest guy in the world" bullshit which ruined the segment and it made it feel personal between the two. It's been such a breath of fresh air having Rocky back and I'm sure the negative bastards on here will realize this soon enough. Rocky is brilliant. Cena is pretty average and has done alot considering what he has to offer. Rock put it right saying the fans are fed up of having Cena shoved down our throats. So fair play for him saying it. Rocky seemed to be making a few shoots towards the back and good on him. The cunts who are against him are clueless cunts.

• Paid Members

Thought the first and last promos were both really disjointed. If you took both and pulled out the best bits, you'd make a terrific highlight package. Both wandered too much and featured so much unnecessary shit that they just didn't work.

I fucking wish The Rock would stop talking about twitter. That would improve things no end. If he'd also stop the Peter Kay tribute act and concentrate on selling a story rather than selling a catchphrase on a T-Shirt, that would help no end too. Cena blew The Rock away again.

Rock needs a blow-out, all heart promo. He needs to come out, tell people how much he loves wrestling and try to make people believe it. That was a weak effort last night. I don't believe him. He's the phony. It comes across in everything he says. They obviously shouldn't run down the business so they need to build up The Rock's attachment. They did try last night but he's too all over the place and the stupid stuff totally negates it.

They'd be mental to give away his first solo match back for free as well. Stupid idea.

Taker/Trips promo was really good. Tag match enjoyable too. Wonder where the Kane thing is going? Fatal 4 Way at Mania? Colons vs. ZigSwag vs. Truth/Kofi vs. Kane? No idea what the fuck they are doing with Mark Henry? Lunacy. Noticed Big Brodus is in the opening titles. That's a bit odd. Thought Eve Torres promo was decent but the backstage segment was hilariously bad. Edge's movie is intriguing. Looks like a low budget 80's buddy cop movie. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Archived