Monday Night Raw 27/2/12 *SPOILERS*

Daaaaaad!

I reckon the Rock had no clue about Cena coming out, after he left all Rocky coulddo was stumble his words and repeat his own name 20 times. The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, They are the same man, The Rock, Dwayne Johnson, The Rock, Dwayne Johnson. Boring as shit.

I am so happy that Cena called him out on his promo being written on his wrist. Rock was just awful. First he explains that to be a man you only fight for yourself then straight after he says he fights for the fans! Make your mind up.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Funkasaurus again! :angry:

The thing with the Rock, as crap as I thought that promo was it is pretty impressive how he can still have the live audience in the palm of his hand. With the exception of when he very first returned on Raw, I think everything he has since done promo wise has been pretty poor and that is not because he has gotten worse, it's that it is not 1999 anymore and the stuff he was doing that made him so popular originally just isn't "cool" anymore, I mean come on Kung Pao bitch, is that really the best they could come up with?

I think the stuff about him having his lines written on his wrist was definitely planned, and for those saying

I thought the Rock looked genuinely flustered and furious after Cena's interjection. He started stumbling over his lines quite badly and mouthed 'Bitch' at him after he'd done his finishing catchphrase. Of course, he could have been acting.

Firmly a member of Team Cena here.

Also, when the Rock started and was talking about someone in the back moaning about how he isn't there, I'm maybe analysing this too deeply but I thought it was a case of him implying he was talking to Cena, but really talking to the mystery people who are badmouthing him to the 'dirtsheets'.

Anyway, other than that, I enjoyed the opening segment a lot. They've finally found a direction with Jericho vs Punk, but I'm surprised Punk didn't pull him up on saying that he is the 'Undisputed, Undeserved Best In the World'

Oh, and how bad does that film with Edge look?

Does nobody else get the feeling that this is all a way to turn the Rock super heel and Cena super face for WrestleMania, they dynamic they ideally wanted? Make the Rock boring, repetitive, annoying, whatever, and emphasise Cena being fundamentally in the right? Makes sense to me.

Not at all. It's in Miami ... The Rock will NOT be heel in Miami whether they try their bollocks off to acheive this or not! I think The Rock is earning his own critics by how piss poor and tedious his promos are becoming, not because he's being told to portray a "super heel" character.

I think the problem is that Cena is right. The Rock did just fuck off again. In an ideal world, Rock would play up on this and go back to his 2003 persona. But he can't play the heel this time, as the match is in his hometown and everybody hates Cena.

So, basically, he just stands there and talks about Twitter for what seems like an hour. They are the kind of promos that the live crowd enjoys, but nobody else does. Then Cena comes out grinning, and everybody just wants him to bugger off. It's a bit of a mess, really.

The Rock was so abysmal I started to wonder whether it was on purpose so Cena could come out on top this week, as if they had said do all the shit that has no substance (twitter, catchphrases etc) and even do that badly and then Cena can make you look a chump. Cena was terrific and really made Rock look daft, he's got that rapper swagger back that he had when he was a heel. It is a strange one that The Rock clearly has no answer to John Cena, yet The Rock is always going to get cheered. You could have turned Cena and had him take the albeit right comments too far to get that clear divide, but Cena would still be right and I think it's okay to leave it as cheer for who you want to and who you think is right.

Either way people want to see Cena batter The Rock or the other way round. I doubt now whether there is a wrestling fan in the middle, I was until the last two weeks when Cena has stepped it up and The Rock has gone down from being crap to plain awful. Whether the WWE have achieved this themselves or whether it's a case of the Rock just actually being really shit in some people's eyes and Cena having the usual hate from the rest is another matter and quite hard to tell considering the nature of the story.

Personally i'm finding it odd that a story with so many real-life twists and insider comments can still make me think like a casual fan in that I now really want Cena to batter The Rock and win. I think it's because although it's not real and winning doesn't really matter I really want it for John Cena the bloke to be the one who is remembered for winning one of the biggest matches ever, because story/real life whatever he deserves it more.

Interesting to see what's next, when is The Rock next on, do we know? Some physicality might show their hand a bit more as to whether they are having Cena heel it up a bit.

And just to add I thought the Jericho/Punk promo was brilliant. Really set out their match well and could see the arguments on both sides. Listening to Jericho I agreed somewhat because i've recently been watching his dvd and thought "there won't be too many more superstar dvds with various promotions matches on, most from now on will be all WWE", but Punk's comeback was equally entertaining and he brought up some good points to counteract (jealousy at never being 'the man' etc). The fighting for 'best in the world' which is symbolised by the title has a wonderful simplicity about it that is often missed and is perfectly fine as a title match next to two of the biggest matches ever at Mania. The title is about the better wrestler and the big matches have personal issues.

They have kind of backed themselves into a corner here in that the only response the Rock has to Cena is that anybody in his position would have done the same thing to become a bigger star etc. but they would never let the Rock say that as it makes their product look inferior.

For all the cringe worthy nonsense the Rock is spouting, the tremendous thing about this feud is that there is believable hatred between them, hopefully in the coming weeks they can really build on this and not have the Rock come out and talk about fruity pebbles or lady parts, but really emphasise how they each want to destroy one another.

Less is more promo wise. Who started approving these 15 and 20 minute segments?

Cena looked pure heel out there. He called Rock a son of a bitch, admitted he (cena) had no balls and then ran away. Maybe this whole thing was designed to make people like him more and they are intending Rock to be too hammy?

Rock is almost back to being the blue chipper Rocky Maivia.

Still team Rock though...IF YA SMELLLL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN (trending worldwide)

• Paid Members

The Rock is a funny one. Again, he had the audience doing everything and reacting to everything he wanted - again showing what a master he is. I thought he was better than he has been in AGES, but he would tease you with some fire but then go on about trending; it never really got going. I didn't think it was as bad as people are saying it was, Pitcos sums it up by saying it's kind of what he does now.

I too have no clue what they're going to do with Cena, he came out and acted the cunt by spoiling the fans fun - even if he was on fire - surely the fans will resent him more. Cena needs to stop with the "Bryan writes your lines, lolz" crap though, especially when Cena gets his lines written for him too. The Rock did a grand job making Cena out to be a right tit too, can't see Vince being very happy about that (maybe explains the Cena bit). I did enjoy The Rock's line about him being for the people and the rest of the roster being for themselves (especially Cena), quite the 'fuck you' from The Rock.

The Rock looked genuinely angry at the end, which is what he should have been 5 minutes earlier. He was stumbling all over the place. Personally, I enjoyed it, but that's more to do with the fans than the actual promo/content.

Punk was on form this week, and his segments with Jericho at least made me a bit interested in their match.

Eve looked great, the slag.

Johnny Ace is making Uncle Teddy the most interesting he has ever been. I'm quite into this little feud.

I'm in the middle, Baz. I hate the Cena persona, but he is performing so much better than The Rock at the moment. I suspect I won't make up my mind until I'm at the Sun Life Stadium. I'm swinging towards Cena slightly, which is pretty unthinkable as I despise the guy and the direction wrestling has gone with him at the top. I've only just started watching again after about seven or eight years of feeling totally indifferent to the product.

I do reckon that The Rock's promo would have worked much better if it were shorter and concise.

They shouldn't have left it so open, in the first place.

To sell the importance they should have wheeled out Vince, have him sell the importance of the main event and that this is going to be the 'BIGGEST WRESTLEMANIA EVARRRRRRR!' and introduce The Rock. The Rock comes out, works the crowd, tells Vince he's a monkeys ass (or something) and that this isn't about box office, or viewing figures, or dollar bills, it's about proving that no matter how long he's been gone he's still the peoples champion and he, with the help of the people, will whip Cena's ass at Wrestlemania. Then, Cena enters, does his schtick, and gets in Rock's face. Vince fearing his main event is about to get spoiled calls out security who he'd had on hand, security split the ring in two dividing the two men.

The two stand, looking at each other, the crowd go mental then it explodes security get knocked on their ass, Vince gets knocked on his ass and we have a big ass brawl. Have the roster spill out to split up, hell get Cole and Lawler off their asses and trying to help split it up.

End with a wide shot of half the roster holding back Cena, half the roster holding back Rock, an empty announce table and a shot of Vince doing his excellent 'OH BALLS! HOW ARE WE GOING TO CONTAIN THIS?' look.

Perfect.

Big rambling half hour ad hoc promos are shit.

Archived