Abortion

Keith Houchen

Abortion  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
If the stigma & vilification were removed from abortion I honestly believe we'd be in a better place.

What do we know about education of abortions in school? I know what Sex Education and Personal and Social Education were like when I was in school. Only ten years ago I left school at 16, and 16 is when we did PSHE and Sex Education, and it was taught by a Textiles teacher who didn't seem comfortable teaching it whatsoever. If I was a total moron and went in knowing nothing, nothing's exactly what I've have known when I left school. Abortion wasn't touched on whatsoever, and that's in an average mixed comprehensive with no religious links. Has Sex Education and PSHE changed much in that ten year spell? Any people who've left school in the past 2-3 year want to enlighten me?

Education in the young teens, or even in the tweens, is the best place to nail matters like this in my opinion and until that is the case abortion is always going to have a stigma and be vilified.

I remember having PSHE in secondary school. The only thing I can really remember covering was things like work experience, writing CVs etc. But abortion definitely didn't come up in those lessons. And sex education for my school was one half-hour one day, where the boys and girls were taken into another room separately. We were shown a print-out of a penis diagram and a vagina diagram, told how they worked and how sex worked, and sent away with knowledge on how to obtain a 'C' card and get free condoms from various health clinics in the town. Fantastic.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I remember at my Secondary School, a random group of anti-abortionists sent *very graphic* full A4 style pictures of aborted foetuses (via old style post) to everybody in our school from Third Year up to Sixth Year. Really nasty. It got into the newspaper up here.

• Paid Members
If the stigma & vilification were removed from abortion I honestly believe we'd be in a better place.

What do we know about education of abortions in school? I know what Sex Education and Personal and Social Education were like when I was in school. Only ten years ago I left school at 16, and 16 is when we did PSHE and Sex Education, and it was taught by a Textiles teacher who didn't seem comfortable teaching it whatsoever. If I was a total moron and went in knowing nothing, nothing's exactly what I've have known when I left school. Abortion wasn't touched on whatsoever, and that's in an average mixed comprehensive with no religious links. Has Sex Education and PSHE changed much in that ten year spell? Any people who've left school in the past 2-3 year want to enlighten me?

Education in the young teens, or even in the tweens, is the best place to nail matters like this in my opinion and until that is the case abortion is always going to have a stigma and be vilified.

Exactly. The problem we have is that if (and it's a big if) any political party were to introduce this into sex education there'd be outcry from middle-Englanders/Right wing press that we're 'advertising abortion' in schools. The same way that giving kids free condoms was 'encouraging teen sex'. It'd be a political death knell & therefore wont happen. Much better to pretend it's not an issue because to be honest, it's not the children of the people complaining about such matters that are the likeliest to be affected.

The moment abortion comes up in school The Daily Mail and probably every other agenda pushing cretin on the planet will have a field day, if certain sections of the media were reigned in and forced to only report the facts instead of pushing an agenda I think we would finally be able to have a real and constructive debate over the issue.

The reason sex education is shit in this country is because as a nation we are incredibly immature about the subject. Look at the tabloid media for example. Shite puns about a set of tits at least once every day as if they're permanantly stuck in a Carry On film. Until we can talk about it like grown adults we will not be able to educate people in a satisfactory way.

Yes, absolutely, completely pro choice. I selected Yes as long as its not a form of contraception but I dont really agree that that happens. And if it is I imagine after the first time of going through it a person will take all steps to avoid it again, it really isnt a pleasant process.

• Paid Members
The reason sex education is shit in this country is because as a nation we are incredibly immature about the subject. Look at the tabloid media for example. Shite puns about a set of tits at least once every day as if they're permanantly stuck in a Carry On film. Until we can talk about it like grown adults we will not be able to educate people in a satisfactory way.

Heh... "stuck in"

• Paid Members

Personally, I could never push a girl to have an abortion. My mum had me when she was young and she made a good job of it (if I may say so myself) and I'm now a good few years older than she was. She could have quite easily gone that way, but she didn't, and for that reason I wouldn't either.

I put yes, but only in certain circumstances. To say yes in all circumstances would have to include girls being forced into it by partners or family, which I don't agree with.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that when setting the options. I should have clarified the first option doesn't include any forcing but a bit late for that now.

I left school a few years ago, and sex education wasn't much more different than this. I doubt we had the best example of a sex ed teacher considering one of them was someone who was widely accepted as a "happy clappy Christian" who thought that sex was something created by God to be enjoyed in the confines of marriage and that contraception was wrong. It wasn't the most comfortable of lessons to be in.

It was up to us to push the question of abortion and those sorts of things, and the teacher never had anything prepared so gave us her own opinion and then we had a large discussion about it. From my experience, I'd say that things haven't really changed that much since you left school and the onus still seems to be on the basis of "you'll learn as you go". Maybe it's different in other places and there are schools who try and give a proper sex education to pupils.

• Paid Members

Yes as long as its not a form of contraception

I also feel that proper guidance and support should be given for the prospective non-parents on how they may feel emotionally after this takes place. I've lost count of how many women I have dealt with who found it difficult to live with the decision years after the deed was done.

Incedently, yeasr ago when Amy Weber was in the divasearch contest, I tapped amyweber.com into explorer and got directed to an anti abortion site with some pretty gruesome pics on it.....

• Moderators
I selected Yes as long as its not a form of contraception but I dont really agree that that happens.

Yeah exactly. That's basically a myth.

Depends how you classify it. If you mean, "I won't use contraception because I'll just get an abortion" then I'd agree, but if you mean "I'll get an abortion for this unwanted pregnancy" then it's a very different story.

Archived