Abortion

Keith Houchen

Abortion  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After the stuff in the Off Topic Comments thread earlier, I thought this topic could generate some interesting discussion.

I voted yes, in all circumstances. I will admit I'd rather it wasn't used as a means of contraception, for want of a better description, but I think it is better than the alternative of bringing an unwanted child into the world.

I accept this may not be a popular view, but I find that usually the loudest voices against abortion tend to be male. I believe that this is to stop giving women control of their own bodies as it is a threat to the patriarchal society we live in. Female emancipation is the best solution to end poverty and famine according to Christopher Hitchens, on that point I tend to agree with him.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Pretty close to what Houchen said - I'm in favor of women being allowed to use it in all circumstances, although there are times that I think need a lot more personal thought and contemplation than others: Victim of rape? Of course. Family pressure because there's a chance that it'll be black? I think you're doing it wrong.

Yes, but not as a form of contraception

My attitude is is you are too lazy or stupid to use contraception then you have to deal with the consequences.

Or, in the Jeremy Kyle world, the taxpayer has to deal with the consequences.

• Moderators

I'm on the same wavelength as Houchen really. For example, a rape baby might cause post natal depression and rejection from the mother and is not fair on either parent nor child. There's also economic factors which support the use of abortion. Having children isn't cheap.

Its a tricky one this.

I look at it this way. If you have become pregnant by accident and you know that you are financially unable to take of the child, then its probably the, for lack of a better term, responsible thing to do. If your stupid enough to just not be safe (I think there's a difference between becoming by accident and becoming pregnant because your just too boneidle to rubber up), then as a form of contraception its pretty messed up.

And looking at what I've written, even I'm strugling to make head or tail of what I'm saying

• Moderators

Good idea for a thread, but will inevitably get locked after the 10 page derail once religion comes up.

Personally I think abortion should be available for any reason. However, I personally don't morally approve of it for contraceptive purposes as it's really not hard to prevent a pregnancy these days (taking a bath in scorching hot water every day).

Good idea for a thread, but will inevitably get locked after the 10 page derail once religion comes up.

I know what you mean, however I think there is a difference between a no for a moral reason and a no for a religious reason. Of course, hoping for an intelligent discussion about it is a bit much.

• Paid Members

Yes but not as a form of contraception

It's not the ideal form of contraception, nor do I believe it should be the 'go to' option, purely based on health & strained NHS resources. But I disagree with KingofSwing's 'deal with the consequences' attitude. Although you may want the irresponsible parents to step up & deal with the situation they created the reality would be an unwanted baby. Hardly a good atmos for a healthy childhood for the poor little bastard.

Overpopulation is a massive problem that no politician will go near & is rarely discussed. If the stigma & vilification were removed from abortion I honestly believe we'd be in a better place.

• Paid Members

I voted "yes". There's instances where the decision shouldn't be questioned, i.e. pregnancy as the result of rape. Then there's instances where it may not be financially viable to have a child, or it genuinely was an accident and the couple don't want children, that the choice should still be there if they want to take it.

It's not nice, but there's a lot of things on this planet that isn't nice.

• Paid Members

This has prompted me to post before Kenny arrives. I am completely in favour of it being a woman's choice; after all, it's her body and as such it's her decision. Although I think simply having an abortion to avoid taking precautions sexually is pretty much a horrid idea and can lead to a lot of emotional problems further down the line for young women who are constantly aborting instead of using a condom, the pill etc., I still think it should be available for any reason. I would say though, some abortions could be avoided with proper education and a grown-up debate on the issue because the idea of someone aborting a child because they feel they can't cope with a disabled child, when given the correct literature and support they would realise that although it is difficult it is possible to cope with bringing up a disabled child, is pretty heart-breaking and scary considering the ability of pre-birth scans to pick things up now.

• Moderators

I know what you mean, however I think there is a difference between a no for a moral reason and a no for a religious reason. Of course, hoping for an intelligent discussion about it is a bit much.

Should be alright until you see Last post by: Kiffy

• Moderators
If the stigma & vilification were removed from abortion I honestly believe we'd be in a better place.

What do we know about education of abortions in school? I know what Sex Education and Personal and Social Education were like when I was in school. Only ten years ago I left school at 16, and 16 is when we did PSHE and Sex Education, and it was taught by a Textiles teacher who didn't seem comfortable teaching it whatsoever. If I was a total moron and went in knowing nothing, nothing's exactly what I've have known when I left school. Abortion wasn't touched on whatsoever, and that's in an average mixed comprehensive with no religious links. Has Sex Education and PSHE changed much in that ten year spell? Any people who've left school in the past 2-3 year want to enlighten me?

Education in the young teens, or even in the tweens, is the best place to nail matters like this in my opinion and until that is the case abortion is always going to have a stigma and be vilified.

I pretty much agree with the aforementioned replies....if the baby could be the result of rape/dodgy one nighter to a junkie or ill equipped mother, then its the lesser of two evils. Either they get rid of the baby in a controlled manner or it is born and ends up like one of these horrific statistics that pop up all too frequently about a junkie/single mum who neglects the child and it ends up dying a painful death in absolute squalor.

However, i do think that it shouldn't be used as a form of contraception due to laziness/ lack of giving-a-shit. It should only be a last resort. Unless the women in question have no way of supporting and raising the baby in a safe, loving environment.

Christ...its hard to put what runs through your head into words on here sometimes....

Archived