Abortion

Keith Houchen

Abortion  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

As a woman who's been through it, I agree with women having the right to choose. It's all well and good having an opinion but until you've been through it or been close to someone who's been through having to choose, you really have no idea. It was however the most demeaning experience of my life.

That being said, I believe the limit as to how far into the pregnancy they will perform terminations should be decreased significantly.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I selected Yes as long as its not a form of contraception but I dont really agree that that happens.

Yeah exactly. That's basically a myth.

Depends how you classify it. If you mean, "I won't use contraception because I'll just get an abortion" then I'd agree, but if you mean "I'll get an abortion for this unwanted pregnancy" then it's a very different story.

Again, I should clarify that I meant the latter scenario for the purpose of the poll.

Some interesting replies thus far. I agree with the education side of things, that's where things need improving.

That being said, I believe the limit as to how far into the pregnancy they will perform terminations should be decreased significantly.

I agree with that. The upper limit for abortions is 24 weeks, but I've seen reports of babies being born at 22 weeks and surviving. Lower it to between 16 and 20 weeks and it may be better.

Can't imagine how horrible it is to have an abortion, both physically and psychologically, but I support a woman's right to choose. No law should wag a finger at a woman telling her what she is or isn't allowed to do with her own body.

I voted Yes, in all circumstances. Who the bloody fuck am I to decide what someone else wants to do with their own body? I know that's not a very long or complex argument, but frankly anybody who disagrees can stick a coat-hanger up their minge/man-minge.

At the moment I see that 3 people have voted for the 'no' option. Funny how these types of people never seem to speak up. It would be nice if they did though.

I voted Yes, in all circumstances. Who the bloody fuck am I to decide what someone else wants to do with their own body? I know that's not a very long or complex argument, but frankly anybody who disagrees can stick a coat-hanger up their minge/man-minge.

At the moment I see that 3 people have voted for the 'no' option. Funny how these types of people never seem to speak up. It would be nice if they did though.

Where as I'm anti abortion myself, I do agree with the part in bold though. I have no right to say what a woman should not or should do with her body. If I got someone pregnant then in the end it would be her choice and I would have to accept it if she went for it.

I don't morally agree with using it as a form of contraception, but then, if there are people who are stupid/lazy enough to regularly have abortions to the point it's simply a form of contraception, then abortion should probably be mandatory in their case.

So yeah, you have to leave it open to everyone, which is what will happen anyway.

The bigger question is how late you should allow them to happen. And at what point it goes from getting rid of a bunch of cells that could in no way be considered a life unless you're catholic and mental, to killing a premature baby.

Now that wasn't that bad, was it Neil?

I suspect very, very few people regard abortion as a form of contraception - even the morning after pill can be psychologically draining, let alone an actual abortion.

There are so many pragmatic, morally sound reasons for abortion being legal, and I suspect all of us have touched on one of them at some point in their life. For me, it was a close friend of mine when I was a teenager, who was the product of a rape. He couldn't hide it - he was a black kid with 2 white parents, and the question came up especially at school. He endured no end of teasing, and sadly racial abuse at our otherwise entirely white school. He was brilliantly gifted but psychologically destroyed before he really got going by the knowledge of his background. He committed suicide at 18, just after being accepted to Oxford.

The fallout from that has scarred that poor family for life, though I'm pleased to say his younger sister is doing well. As horrible as it may seem to say "it would have been better if he weren't born", the idea that mothers might be forced to go through that is equally abhorrent.

• Paid Members
I don't morally agree with using it as a form of contraception, but then, if there are people who are stupid/lazy enough to regularly have abortions to the point it's simply a form of contraception, then abortion should probably be mandatory in their case.

So yeah, you have to leave it open to everyone, which is what will happen anyway.

The bigger question is how late you should allow them to happen. And at what point it goes from getting rid of a bunch of cells that could in no way be considered a life unless you're catholic and mental, to killing a premature baby.

Now that wasn't that bad, was it Neil?

I'd say it was all good, until the last line.

• Paid Members

I voted yes in all circumstances, for the same reason as the other chaps who voted the same way.The last thing we need is more people, get rid of them if you don't want them, no need for guilt or weirdness about it, it's just sense.What if the guy doesn't want the girl to get the kid aborted and she does though? There's a curveball, it's her body and she can do what she wants with it but the kid is 50% his, what then?

• Paid Members
My attitude is is you are too lazy or stupid to use contraception then you have to deal with the consequences.

Having a baby as a punishment is a bit messed up. The unwanted child also has to deal with the consequences.

I voted "yes, in all circumstances" by the way.

I'm not really on the same wavelength as people who say that you either get rid of the baby, or its born and is a drain on the taxpayer/destined to live of life of poverty with parents that don't do it.

There are lots of wonderful would-be parents out there, unfortunate in not being able to have children, who are waiting for a child in the adoption services.

For me it's not a no, but it's a yes in certain scenarios. But, the only truly convincing scenario I can think of is rape.

I was leaning towards not as a form of contraception but I went for Yes,under certain circumstances, there's a bit of a crossover in those two answers for me. I think women have the right to choose if they want to terminate their baby- it's their decision at the end of the day but as others have said too many see it as a way of contraception. Me and my Mrs had a miscarriage not so long since so it's a bit of a tender subject if somebody aborts their baby just because they couldn't be arsed to stick a bag on it.

For me unless it's something like a rape victim, the baby has a chance of getting a seriously dangerous illness i.e Aids or it poses the risk of hurting the mother in someway then it's one of those things that you have to take some responsibility for. If you get a girl pregnant you have to live with the consequences. I've seen too many young lads say things like "I'll just make 'er get an abortion" which I think is pretty fucking weak really. My cousin is 20 and I found out yesterday he got his on-and-off girlfriend pregnant but they're doing the grown up thing and are going to take responsability, I'd have been pretty pissed if they'd have just gone and had it terminated.

• Paid Members
I selected Yes as long as its not a form of contraception but I dont really agree that that happens.

Yeah exactly. That's basically a myth.

Depends how you classify it. If you mean, "I won't use contraception because I'll just get an abortion" then I'd agree, but if you mean "I'll get an abortion for this unwanted pregnancy" then it's a very different story.

I knew a girl, back in the day, who said she'd rather have an abortion than use anything. She, to the best of my knowledge, had at least 3 abortions in the two years I knew her. She had a load of stupid excuses for not using anything ranging from she 'didnt like the feel' of condoms, the pill made her fat and having the implant was 'icky'. But then, she was boarderline retarded.

Archived