UFC 140: Jones vs Machida Discussion Thread

David

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your saying Machida needs to keep the distance, but surely that plays right into Jones' gameplan too?

Such an intriguing fight, its like 2 computer game characters with a unique set of skills.

Fucking roll on Saturday!!

Funny you say that, I was playing the PS3 and had Jones vs. Machida. Normally I smash the AI on Expert, but the styles made it a really competitive fight. Hoping real life is more of the same on the weekend.

Love, love, love to see Mir get KO'd. Not a TKO victory, I want Nog to straight knock him the fuck out. The cocky twat, plus I'll never forgive him for UFC 119. UFC 130 was fairly average too.

I'm a big Tito fan, even before this "comeback". He's also ripping off The Rock, changing his moniker to "The People's Champ" for this fight. Hoping Tito keeps momentum rolling, if he's healthy and scores a big win here, could he move towards making one last title run? He beats Nog, then either Shogun or Rampage, then fights Jones. Of course he'd get destroyed, but it'd be a fantastic story.

The featherweights should bring insanity, even if it won't match the TUF finale, and it's always a treat watching Ebersole fight.

UFC 140 <3

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with David that Jones did come across very well with Helwani, I only watched the second half of the interview mind.

I am sticking up for Machida and would love him to win, but I am no means a hater of Jon Jones like a lot of people on the various forums seem to be. Youtube, Sherdog and the Underground when I have visited them this week have been full of people hating Jones, not the fighter but the person.

I honestly dont think he is that bad, maybe a bit bland and not the most charasmatic and he does talk sometimes like he is reading from a script, but he is not annoying or a bastard or anything. I think people are a bit harsh on him.

That said I hope we enter Machida era 2.0 on Saturday and think he has at least a decent chance if he fights smart and agressive, but as I am only one of two currnetly picking Machida on here maybe I am more than a little biased.

• Paid Members

I dunno why they don't do the awards in January. Having them before the year's even over kinda defeats the purpose of it for me. Hendo vs Shogun missed even being nominated for FOTY for example.

Fighter of the year for me is either Jones or Hendo.

If Jones wins on Saturday he'll have submitted Bader, battered Shogun (becoming the youngest UFC champ ever), clowned Rampage and submitted him and beat Machida in one year.

Hendo's KO'd Feijao in March (becoming a champ at the age of 40), KO'd the legend Fedor in round 1 (a heavyweight who'd never been actually knocked out before), and beat Shogun in one of the greatest fights in UFC history.

Hard to call for me. I dunno what impresses me more, what Jones accomplished at such a young age or what Hendo has done at 40/41 this year. Crazy.

Probably give it to Jones though just based off how dominant he looked in all them fights (we'll see with Machida). Hendo's wins were wars where he was hurt in each fight.

• Paid Members
Won't Hendo/Shogun count toward next years though?

Would be unjust if it didn't get any love.

Yeah I suppose. But seems silly to me having it up for Fight of 2012 when it happened in 2011. No big deal but would be just as easy to have the awards in Jan as it is in Nov.

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Champ Jon Jones (205) vs. Lyoto Machida (204)

Frank Mir (260) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (239)

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (204.5) vs. Tito Ortiz (206)

Brian Ebersole (170.5) vs. Claude Patrick (171)

Mark Hominick (145) vs. Chan Sung Jung (145.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD (ION Television)

Igor Pokrajac (205) vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (206)

Jared Hamman (185) vs. Constantinos Philippou (185)

Dennis Hallman (158.5)* vs. John Makdessi (155.5)

Yves Jabouin (136) vs. Walel Watson (135.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Mark Bocek (156) vs. Nik Lentz (156)

Rich Attonito (170.5) vs. Jake Hecht (170.5)

John Cholish (156) vs. Mitch Clarke (154.5)

* - Failed to make weight and didn't weigh in twice; he's been fined 20 percent of his purse

• Paid Members

I can see Mir outweighing Nog by nearly 30lbs by fight time. Will be interesting to see if he tries to pick up a quick win or tries to fight with all that bulk. Im praying that Big Nog gets the win (ideally by totally domination but i'll take a points win, i really dont care as long as that nobhead Mir loses)

• Paid Members

Come on Nogs :thumbsup:

I'm 60/40 in favour of Mir to win. I know most don't give Nog even 40% chance but he can win this. If he can pressure Mir early on and gas the fucker out he can deffo beat him. I've had a feeling Mir will catch him and KO him early on but I can see Nog winning a decision if he fights smart and avoids the big shots when Mir's at his most dangerous.

If it goes past round 1 I'm picking Nog on points. But I'll stick with my original prediction of Mir KO/TKO round 1 :( Mir coming in so heavy makes me hopeful he'll be sucking wind within 2 minutes and Nog can put a beating on the smug prick.

• Paid Members

Thats what im thinking. If Nog can take the fight to the ground (has Mir's takedown defense been tested recently, obviously Brock doesnt count because he just plowed right through him) I can see him gassing him out and just outworking him on the mat. Im really gonna be on edge for this fight. It genuinely pains me to watch Uncle Nog take a beating :(

• Paid Members
I can see Mir outweighing Nog by nearly 30lbs by fight time. Will be interesting to see if he tries to pick up a quick win or tries to fight with all that bulk. Im praying that Big Nog gets the win (ideally by totally domination but i'll take a points win, i really dont care as long as that nobhead Mir loses)

Why would Mir outweigh him by more come fight time? It's not like he cut any weight for the weigh-ins. I think he's pretty much maxed out at 260.

I'm surprised he's come in that heavy though. He pretty much admitted that it was a mistake bulking up so much after his fight with Carwin.

Archived