UFC 140: Jones vs Machida Discussion Thread

David

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah I've said for a while I thought either Shogun or Machida would be the ones to give Jones trouble. I was embarrassingly wrong on the first half of that but I do think Machida could give Jones a very tough test.

Hendo and Rashad would be interesting. Hendo I'm not sure would hang with Jones, he'd probably give him hell for a couple of rounds but after that I think Jones would take over. Would be exciting though cos Hendo could always land a bomb.

I really wanna see Rashad vs Jones. Aside from Rashad being strong in all areas I really think he's in Jones' head and could use it against him.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
3 Blackhouse guys = Plenty of Sensei appearances and getting his yellow specks on camera.

It's gonna be great.

Sensei is a joke.

2.gif

machida.gif

These fuckers weren't laughing ;)

Nah seriously Seagal is hilarious, in an unintentional kinda way.

Bas Rutten and Joe Rogan talking about Seagal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RotEBSPnz-4

the man is not playing with a full fucking deck

Countdown show, that is up on UFC.com, is a treat if you have a spare half hour.

The Nog vs Mir bit is espicially gripping. Cant wait for all three headline fights. I am rooting for Machida,Big Nog and Ortiz all the way, but think all 3 may come up a bit short.

• Paid Members
Yeah I've said for a while I thought either Shogun or Machida would be the ones to give Jones trouble. I was embarrassingly wrong on the first half of that but I do think Machida could give Jones a very tough test.

Yeh, i was a bit gutted when this fight was made, but there are two guys i give a shot against Jon Jones, and they are Rashad Evans and Lyoto Machida, but for 2 completely different reasons. If you wanna play MMA math you say Jon Jones win easily (Shogun KO'd Machida, Rampage beat Machida, Jones destroyed Shogun & Rampage) but it doesn't work like that. Machida's point karate style i think may give Jones a problem standing. I believe Jones is gonna use his grappling to trip dragging Machida to the mat. If Jones decides to stand and outstrikes Machida, i'll declare Jon Jones near-unbeatable.

It's one of the most interesting fights of the year without doubt.

The Nogueira/Mir fight ive been waiting for since the first one happened. It's the saddest fight ive ever seen, and im of the opinion that Nogueira didn't show up that night (be it illness or whatever), but i fully understand Frank Mir's frustration at the constant devaluation of his win (although at the time i remember people declaring Mir this world class striker). If Nogueira wins this i'll shit on the floor, i can't fucking wait. War Nog!

...and War Lil' Nog, lets put at end to this 'nice guy' Ortiz shit.

I think the main event is a tough one to call. If Jones can close the distance on Machida and take him down, I reckon he will take the fight. However, if Machida can frustrate him by keeping his distance with his karate-stance (like he has done to people in the past) its going to be a long night for Jones. For Machida, he needs to keep the distance large and either attack as the round is coming to a close (kind of like how Sugar Ray Leonard did against Marvin Hagler) or catch Jones coming in. It might not be the most entertaining of stratergies, but if it gets the win, thats what matters to him.

Mir vs. Big Nog - honestly, I hope Nog knocks Mir's head off, cant stand the guy

• Paid Members

Your saying Machida needs to keep the distance, but surely that plays right into Jones' gameplan too?

Such an intriguing fight, its like 2 computer game characters with a unique set of skills.

Fucking roll on Saturday!!

Your saying Machida needs to keep the distance, but surely that plays right into Jones' gameplan too?

Im struggling to put it into words.

I think Jones will be looking for the takedown, but if Machida can frustarte Jones by avoiding and sprawling his takedown attempts (if Jones gets in close enough), I can see Jones maybe making a mistake and come in to rashly, thus Machida can then catch him coming in, maybe with a knee to the head or something. On the flip side, if Machida can keep Jones at bay until the last 30-45 seconds of the round and then attack with a barrage until the round, he could steal the round in the judges eyes.

Im not sure if Im making any sense or not.

• Paid Members

Bloody Elbow are reporting that 140 hasn't sold out and there are quite a few tickets remaining. bloodyelbow.com/20. The holiday season and the fact they were there a few months ago probably doesn't help, but I thought that was suprising.

This show looks so impressive on paper and I think the fights will deliver too. I think Jones will try to take this to the floor and he'll get a TKO finish. I'd love to see Nog beat Mir but I just don't feel it, and I'm picking Tito by decision. Looking forward to seeing Ebersole and Hominick/Zombie too.

Archived