UFC 140: Jones vs Machida Discussion Thread

David

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

UFC140_PRESALE_JPG.jpg

Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida (for light-heavyweight title)

Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Tito Ortiz

Brian Ebersole vs. Claude Patrick

Mark Hominick vs. Chan Sung Jung

Igor Pokrajac vs. Krzysztof Soszynski*

Jared Hamman vs. Constantinos Philippou*

Dennis Hallman vs. John Makdessi*

Yves Jabouin vs. Walel Watson*

Mark Bocek vs. Nik Lentz*

Rich Attonito vs. Jake Hecht*

John Cholish vs. Mitch Clarke*

*prelim fight

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir will be facing Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for a second time when the pair meets at December's UFC 140 event.

And this time, Mir wants Nogueira at 100 percent.

After Mir dispatched of "Minotauro" in December 2008, post-fight discussion centered around a severe case of staph that left Nogueira far from his best in the second-round TKO. Mir doesn't want to hear that talk a second time around.

"[Nogueira] had a few issues before the fight that he felt really hampered his performance," Mir said during a special UFC 137 Fight Club Q&A. "So I feel that there's an opportunity for him to basically put up or shut up.

"He can come out and take another opportunity at it. I understand it. All fighters, we have issues going on before fights. It happens. But that's what rematches are for."

UFC 140, which features a light heavyweight title fight between current champ Jon Jones and former titleholder Lyoto Machida, takes place Dec. 10 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre.

Mir's comments were made without malice, but his emotions appeared sincere. He elaborated further on the situation when fans asked his opinion on original UFC 137 headliner Georges St-Pierre withdrawing from the event due to a pair of injuries suffered in training.

"I'll be honest with you," Mir said. "If I find out my opponent is severely injured and he's still going to show up, I don't want him to. I'd rather him pull out and replace him with somebody else. I don't want to face the guy injured. I've experienced that with the whole Nogueira rhetoric afterward. 'Well, he had staph and he had this.' I'll tell you from the other point of view, it sucks.

"'Yeah, you beat him, but.' That sucks. You have to perform, you get a victory, and people are like, 'Yeah, but the guy had a torn this, he had a broken this.' It's like, 'Then stay home. Put someone else in that's healthy and hungry. I'd rather fight him.'"

Mir has gone 3-2 since the first meeting with Nogueira, racking up wins over Roy Nelson, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic and Cheick Kongo while dropping title shots against Shane Carwin and Brock Lesnar.

Meanwhile, Nogueira is 2-1 since the first meeting, sandwiching a loss to Cain Velasquez between wins over Brendan Schaub and Randy Couture.

Oddsmakers have instilled Mir as a sizable favorite with a little more than a month remaining before the fight. Mir, of course, is confident in his chances at a repeat performance. He simply hopes Nogueira will take care of himself between now and Dec. 10.

"Certain injuries you have to evaluate," Mir said. "If you have a sore foot or your shin has a bruise on it, you fight. If you have a major injury, you have to pull out. At that point, I think you're kind of robbing the fans.

"If you walk out there, and you're so injured you can't even perform, and you're just basically out there stumbling around? I wouldn't want to pay money to a guy who's 20 percent to go out there perform. What questions does that answer? Then it kind of robs the other guy, too."

Does anyone else want Nogueira to really smash Mir?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone else want Nogueira to really smash Mir?

Yes. I like Frank Mir as a commentator but he's one of those fighters who irritates like me and I want to see lose. Hope Big Nog avenges that first stoppage loss.

Right now I'm only interested in the top two fights and Hominick/Jung. Fancy Jones to beat Machida and Mir to beat Big Nog, hope I'm wrong with the latter prediction.

• Paid Members

I actually not that fussed who wins between Nog & Mir. I don't think either of them pose a threat to the Heavyweight title nor should either of them get a shot anytime soon.

The main event could be interesting though, especially if Seagal has spent anymore time with Machida ;)

I've really come round to Machida lately. I loved his headbanging KO from Shogun but after hearing about him calling Randy Couture a few days after the Toronto fight to see if he was OK and apologise for knocking him out makes him seem like a real nice guy so I'd really like to see him stick it to Champion 2011.

I must be in the minority of liking Mir then? I hope Mir wins, and have got him winning by KO/TKO again

I always thought you were a weird one Pryko! ;)
Haha. A Jon Fitch and Josh Koscheck fan too. I have weird taste in my likings for UFC fighters.I was surprised to just see Tito as the betting underdog. Could be worth a few quid

I really want Nog to smash Mir, but I see another KO/TKO win for Mir :(

Gotta go with Jones by KO/TKO. I wouldn't mind Machida winning, but I'd be ecstatic if Evans was the man to take Jones down. I'm sure Jones/Evans would happen eventually anyway, but I want Evans to take the title from him.

Should be an interesting main event but I don't see jones loosing this one although it will be interesting to see how he manages to find his range as Shogun is so elusive.

Also can't wait to see Ebersole again I love watching that guy fight and I'm gutted that he isn't fighting Macdonald but will still be a good scrap. Can't see Patrick beating him though.

I think Hominick will be too technical for the Zombie and outclass him.

I'm a massive Tito fan so will be rooting for him in this one and hope he wins big!

Archived