UFC 140: Jones vs Machida Discussion Thread

David

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

What's people's picks for the main card then? I'm going

Jones - late KO/TKO, round 4 or 5

Gone with Jones in the end. How do you pick against him at the minute? I can deffo see Machida giving him the hardest test so far though. His movement, timing, accuracy could all play a big factor and maybe frustrate Jones. Leg kicks could be a problem too with Jones chicken legs so I wouldn't be surprised if Lyoto tries that a lot.

I think Jones will eventually get his hands on Machida and take him down. I'll go with a 4th round TKO stoppage due to ground and pound.

Mir - KO/TKO, round 1

Gone with my gut instincts. Like I said above though, if Nog can avoid danger early on, this is very winnable for him I reckon. If Nog gets off to a slow start I can see Mir taking him out but if he can put the pressure on Mir and make him work harder then he wants to, he'll probably fade by round 2 or 3. Just see Nog getting laid out early sadly.

Hope to fuck my prediction's wrong.

Ortiz - decision

Can see this going the way of Davis/Nog. Nog's takedown defence is pretty good actually but I've got a feeling he'll get outpointed on the wrestling of Tito. Tito dropped Bader but I think he'll come off worse if he stands with Nog.

Ebersole - decision

This is tricky cos Claude Patrick's looked pretty good so far in the UFC, but Ebersole's had a couple of really impressive showings. The grappling will be interesting but I think Ebersole has him beat in other areas and will edge the fight.

Hominick - KO/TKO, round 3

Interested to see how Jung approaches this cos Hominick's no Leonard Garcia, he won't just stand and wing haymakers leaving himself open. Jung would be best to try and take this one down I reckon. Got a feeling Hominick will be too sharp for him and put him away with strikes late in the fight.

Great bunch of fights, really looking forward to all of them.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Just seen this from a translation from an Brazilian article

"In one of his provocations, Frank Mir said he has some souvenirs for when he retires, and that among them are Lesnar's knee and Rodrigo's chin, who answered in a interview for LANCENET!: - My souvenirs are the belts of Pride, UFC and Rings."

Love Nog's response.

Just seen this from a translation from an Brazilian article

"In one of his provocations, Frank Mir said he has some souvenirs for when he retires, and that among them are Lesnar's knee and Rodrigo's chin, who answered in a interview for LANCENET!: - My souvenirs are the belts of Pride, UFC and Rings."

Love Nog's response.

:laugh: Oh snap.

Hallman missed weight eh? First time at LW I believe... but I doubt he'll get any leeway after the Speedo Incident.

Mir at 260 makes me wonder how hard Mir has trained and how much thought he has put into this fight. He said somthing this week about this fight being a steppingstone to title contention. Despite him being pissed of with Nog's excuses I wonder if he is looking past this.

Bulking up against power wrestlers like Carwin and Lesnar makes sense, he did not want to get overpowered. Even though that didnt work, at least there was logic to it.

Coming in like that against Nog there is no logic, he will lose speed and his cardio which has always been suspect may suffer. Against a fighter like Nog who is likely to box and use a lot of movement tonight, Mir may have a lot more trouble than he should have.

If it is still going by the end of round 1 and the fight is competative, I think Nog could win on points. Mir wont be able to outwrestle and grapple Nog like he did to Nelson.

Archived