UFC 140: Jones vs Machida Discussion Thread

David

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

UFC have had an amazing year and Jones' year is arguably the greatest in MMA history.

Are you serious?!?
You seriously don't think theres a case for it considering what he's done this year? 4 fights at the very top level and 3 of them against former champions. Winning every single one of those fights in dominant fashion and finishing them convincingly whilst looking almost untouchable... Dana's even saying at the presser that he's likely to become the posterboy of the UFC along side Lesnar with GSP being out.I'd say it's a good shout.Or you be trolling.

UFC have had an amazing year and Jones' year is arguably the greatest in MMA history.

Are you serious?!?
You seriously don't think theres a case for it considering what he's done this year? 4 fights at the very top level and 3 of them against former champions. Winning every single one of those fights in dominant fashion and finishing them convincingly whilst looking almost untouchable... Dana's even saying at the presser that he's likely to become the posterboy of the UFC along side Lesnar with GSP being out.I'd say it's a good shout.Or you be trolling.
I would agree, Id also like to echo the frightening sentiment that he has every chance of getting a lot better too. Im certainly in the camp of people who thinks Evans wont be able to stop him.

Are you serious?!?
I think David's saying that Jones definitely had the greatest year in MMA history, and there's no need for the qualifier "arguably". Jon Jones' 2011 has been greater than a lot of fighters' careers. I don't like his attitude, but damn he is great. He's already reached that Anderson territory where people are afraid to rush in at him. Machida did it a little bit, but he could have kept the pressure up when Jones staggered back that bit. If Wandy was in his prime at LHW, I think he'd just push forward, get inside his reach and blast him. No chance in hell now though. There's no viable challengers after Rashad and maybe Hendo.

• Paid Members

Are you serious?!?
name a better one?the only one that you could argue is Shogun Rua's 2005, i can't think of another than comes close.

• Paid Members

Are you serious?!?
I think David's saying that Jones definitely had the greatest year in MMA history, and there's no need for the qualifier "arguably". Jon Jones' 2011 has been greater than a lot of fighters' careers. I don't like his attitude, but damn he is great. He's already reached that Anderson territory where people are afraid to rush in at him. Machida did it a little bit, but he could have kept the pressure up when Jones staggered back that bit. If Wandy was in his prime at LHW, I think he'd just push forward, get inside his reach and blast him. No chance in hell now though. There's no viable challengers after Rashad and maybe Hendo.
I don't think 'arguably' takes any shine from Jones. Besides I don't think that is what David was saying.

Are you serious?!?
I actually read your post as saying "UFC have had an amazing year and Jones is arguably the greatest in MMA history." I missed the 'year' part for some reason :blush: I agree with your statement there, he has obviously had the greatest year in MMA history.

• Paid Members

Thought this was a great event overall. Bit gutted for Hominick as he's one of my favourite featherweights but was devastated for Big Nog, so nasty but kudos to Mir, every time I think he's done he seems to come along with the upset. Who next for Frank? Cain?. Lil' Nog's body shots on Tito looked deadly, was really happy he got the win, I've never been a fan of Ortiz & his 'peoples champ' gimmick was bollocks. Did anyone else notice how ridiculously deformed s face looks now? HGH is bad kids mmmkay.The main event could've easily gone either way, after the 1st round I was convinced Machida was going to drop him at the start of the 2nd. Some of the exchanges were a matter of millimetres. Can't take anything away from Jonny Bones though, that finish was amazing, seeing Machida drop like a bag of spuds was brutal. I'm reluctant to get on board the Jones hype train just yet, we've seen it too many times & in this sport we know anyone can & will get beat. It'll probably come back to bite me but I think Rashad will take him ;) .

I'm reluctant to get on board the Jones hype train just yet, we've seen it too many times & in this sport we know anyone can & will get beat. It'll probably come back to bite me but I think Rashad will take him ;) .

I don't think it's really anything to do with hype trains. The guy is good. He's certainly the best in the division at present, but no one is unbeatable. He'll lose at some point.

• Paid Members

I've never been a fan of Ortiz & his 'peoples champ' gimmick was bollocks. Did anyone else notice how ridiculously deformed s face looks now? HGH is bad kids mmmkay.

Hes starting to get a Rocky Dennis sized head. It was massive to begin with. There's little things that he does that just remind you he's a dick, The 'Peoples Champ', the 'Better Man...........well better fighter' remark in the post fight interview. Every time he appears on screen he manages to remind me why he is so unlikeable

Archived