UFC 140: Jones vs Machida Discussion Thread

David

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

prelims are done, few thoughts:

* Igor Pokrajac just fucked up Krzysztof, both guys came out firing and Pokrajac landed first. Big win for Igor, Krzysztof seems destined for gatekeeper status forever, the guy can never get on a roll.

* What a performance by Dennis Hallman. Makdessi is one of the golden boys of Canadian MMA and apparently asked to fight Hallman, bad mistake. Hallman just rushed him, took him down and beat shit out of him. It was an old school performance, by and old school fighter. Hallman didnt play around. Great stuff.

* I think Rogan & Goldberg cursed Hamman by constantly referring to his chin, cause Constantinos Philippou just fucking smashed him. There's only so many times you can get hit before your luck runs out. Beatdown. Philippou is a decent prospect in the division, with a boxing heavy style it's going to make for some exciting fights.

* Bocek/Lentz was a tactical type battle that'll be a good one to bring up if you're talking scoring. Bocek took it 30-27 across the board, but other than succesful takedown's he did very little, Lentz had 2 very good choke attempts, and basically stifled anything Bocek attempted, yet Bocek won for basically having top position. I understand why Bocek won but it's still a weird grey area of the sport.

* Watson/Jabouin was like a sparring exhibition contest, both guys threw some wild strikes whilst seemingly having a great time whilst doing so. Fun little fight, i had Watson winning based on dictating the range on the feet and coming very close with a joke but the judges gave it to Yves.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i know everyone loves the Nogueira's cause they are smiley and seem like really nice guys, but that shit from Lil Nog was just nasty! Brutal body attack on Tito, i aint quite sure why Ortiz thought defending his head would stop Nog from attacking his ribs but there you go. Fair play, while it lasted it was an entertaining fight, Ortiz came out as aggressive as ive ever seen him, and he startled Nog a little...Nogueira's recover quickly though and as soon as he settled down Lil Nog took over. Ortiz never really responds well to being under pressure, it's something he never really experienced earlier in his career, but ever since the Ortiz beatdowns he's shown that if you really attack him he buckles and turtles up.

Ortiz now claims that he'll have one more 'retirement' fight and try a try and leave with a win....thoughts on an opponent (no one say Ken Shamrock), there's no looking past the fact that he's 1-6-1 is his past 8 fights though, it's time for Tito to hang em up if he only intends on fighting at the top level.

As for Lil Nog, im still lobbying for a trilogy fight with The Janitor, cause i like it when shit rounds out.

• Paid Members

i dont fucking believe it!!!!

Frank Mir just broke Big Nog's arm, one of the sickest submission finishes ive ever seen. However, before that Mir was getting fucking schooled! I think Herb would have been justified to step in when Mir was head-first down on the mat. Frank Mir, for all the times i talk shit about him he always seems to manage to get it done.

Poor Nog, i don't like to see any guy get his arm broken like that, but it sucks even more to see it happen to my man Antonio.

Insanity. What a crazy show.

• Paid Members

fucking hel, i was that tense during the main event that my finger tips are tinglingl!!! i thought Jon Jones just killed Lyoto Machida, what a sick fucking choke. What a crazy night of finishes.

I loved the main event while it lasted, Machida took the first round by outstriking Jones, i always thought as soon as Jones decided to grapple the fight was going to change, that's exactly what happened. That choke was bad though, a nasty f'n finish. Galiant effort by Machida.

Who the hell is going to beat Jon Jones!?!? Rashad Evans, that's who!!!

No classic fights, but if you like finishes and brutality, this show will be right up your street.

• Paid Members

Fuck sake man. Nog getting his arm snapped is depressing to watch.

Why oh why the fuck did he just not keep punching when he had Mir hurt? He was teaching Mir right from wrong that first couple of minutes and had him doing the chicken dance shit. When Mir went into his usual position when he gets hurt I was loving it, then Nog decided to go for the guillotine and it all went to shit from there. Gutted.

Gotta give credit where due to Mir though. Dislike aside that was a gutsy win he pulled out there and whether people like it or not (and I fucking don't) he will go down in history as the first man to stop Nog with both strikes and submissions. Can't take that away from him that's some accomplishment.

Now I want Mir to get a title shot just so Dos Santos can dish out some revenge.

• Paid Members

Aside from Nog's arm getting mangled what a night of fights. 2011 has been the best year for consistantly great cards in UFC history for me easy. Unbelievable the run of shows they've had this year.

Jones vs Machida was a great tactical fight. You could sense that one slip up could spell the end at any second. Real good first round for Machida and finally someone makes Jones look human. Jones' guillotine in the 2nd was vicious as fuck though. Tremendous finish. That cut really turned the tide in the fight.

Chuffed to see Little Nog back to winning ways. Glad he'll be sticking around, despite a few fights where he didn't look great I'm glad he shut a few people up. I know Tito's not at his best but Nog deffo looked sharp tonight. Way too soon to write him off and I really do think he has some good fights left in him. Give us Little Nog vs Shogun 2.

If Tito wants one more fight, give him that Forrest Griffin rubber match he's been asking for. Neither guy's got much else going on in the way of obvious opponents and both are out of contention. That's a series that needs settling anyway I think.

I had Patrick winning 30-27. It was a very even fight but Patrick won each round for me on effort to finish and landing the more significant strikes. He rocked Ebersole a couple of times and came close on at least 2 of his 4 sub attempts from what I could see. I like Ebersole but what did he do in this fight that was really significant?

Zombie's KO of Hominick was nuts. No-one could have predicted that. Maybe my biggest 'what the fuck' moment of 2011 MMA. Jung can't be that far off a title shot now. One more big win and he'd deserve a crack imo.

Excellent show. Nog/Mir was great while it lasted too. And the prelims were fun, full of quick and exciting fights. Thought Hecht looked good. Showed some skill off his back and some nasty strikes to finish. The Phillippou and Pokrajac KO's were nasty and Hallman looked really dominant.

Jung can't be that far off a title shot now. One more big win and he'd deserve a crack imo.

Provided he wins in afew weeks, I'd like to see Pearson vs. Jung happen - could well do it as a no.1 contender fight as theres not a massive amount around at the moment (bar Mendes who is fighting Aldo in Feb).

Jung would then deserve a shot due to his run of wins or Pearson would then have two wins at FW but he also has that little bit more name value to the average fan than other contenders (kinda like what they did with Florian at FW but to a lesser scale) which would make it a slightly easier sell.

Aside from Nog's arm getting mangled what a night of fights. 2011 has been the best year for consistantly great cards in UFC history for me easy. Unbelievable the run of shows they've had this year.

It's been a fantastic year for MMA, UFC's having it's best ever year. UFC 140 was one of the best UFC PPV's this year.

I really watching Jones/Machida, Mir/Big Nog, Little Nog/Ortiz and Sung-Jung/Hominick...till the end of one of them.

Amazing year for Jon Jones beating Ryan Bader, Mauricio Rua, Quinton Jackson and Lyoto Machida (with Machida giving him the biggest challenge) but finishing all four as well. Any other night Jones would probably take home Submission of the Night choking Machida out with a standing guillotine with Machida dropping to the canvas

Frank Mir almost gets taken out by Big Nog's hands but Big Nog chooses to go for a guillotine which Mir escapes from and locks in the nastiest Kimura I've seen in ages breaking Big Nog's arm. It shows in MMA that one mistake, even when a fighter is close to finishing like Big Nog was can cost you big time. This was one of the best examples you will see of that.

Little Nog beat Ortiz with body shots to get the win and Chan Sung-Jung goes 2/2 in memorable finishes, the first ever UFC Twister used to submit Leonard Garcia in March and he tied the record for fastest UFC Knockout of the Year.

Archived