UFC 140: Jones vs Machida Discussion Thread

David

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Does anyone else want Nogueira to really smash Mir?

9028.max200.jpg

Mir's won a couple of fights so that usually means he's due a beating again. Got a feeling Mir will win this but I stand by my thinking that Mir is overrated and if Nog can take this into round 2 or 3 he can beat Mir even at this stage of the game, no doubt. Mir is always dangerous early on but if his past fights are anything to go by (which is all we can go on really) he'll be wheezing and red faced after 3 minutes.

His last 2 fights, the Cro Cop fight was gash, one of the worst fights in UFC history and they were both to blame for that. But Mirko's finished, Mir's meant to be this top level heavyweight in his prime, or so we're led to believe so why did he look so shite? He got the late KO, and actually didn't gas that night.....mainly cos fuck all happened.

The Nelson fight he was back on form, gassed after a round. Luckily he was fighting Roy Nelson who gassed even worse than he did so he was able to pull out the win.

Like I said though for the first 3 or 4 minutes he's as dangerous as anyone in the division which is why I've got a bad feeling he's gonna catch Nog early with something and put him away. Just don't have a lot of confidence in Nog anymore, the Schaub KO was lovely but how many of them can he have in him? This can't be any worse than Nog vs Mir 1, Nog basically just showed up and did an impression of a punch bag that night. If he lands one good punch it will be an improvement on that showing.

I think both Little and Big Nog are both going to be on the losing end of this.

Sadly I agree with this. Little Nog's got some solid takedown defence but it's still the weakest part of his game and Tito's strongest. I think Tito will win on points.

I've been happy with a lot of results lately. Wand/Le, JDS winning the title, Nog/Schaub, Shogun/Griffin 2, Hunt/Rothwell. Got a feeling I won't be after this one.

Should be some great fights though. Especially Jones/Machida and Hominick/Jung

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Not many people giving much hope to Machida for this. For me this is a 50/50 fight, although it's 100% to his credit but Jones' chin is still yet to be tested properly & I think Machida's gameplan will be to keep distance, avoid the clinch & try and pick him off by circling the outside (ala Couture). Even if he can't stop Jones steaming through him I think he'll be able to land a couple of choice shots & it'll be interesting to see how 'Bones' reacts to this. This is a really interesting match-up & a nightmare for anyone who usually lays down a few quid on the fights.

• Paid Members

yeah I'm not betting on that one :D

I always said I thought Shogun and Machida would give Jones his toughest fights. I was way off with Shogun but I still think Machida's style could fuck with Jones a bit. Machida's movement could make it frustrating for him and the accuracy of his striking could mean we finally see Jones getting tagged cleanly. If Jones can grab a hold of Machida he should get the takedown but this is a very intriguing style match.

yeah I'm not betting on that one :D

I always said I thought Shogun and Machida would give Jones his toughest fights. I was way off with Shogun but I still think Machida's style could fuck with Jones a bit. Machida's movement could make it frustrating for him and the accuracy of his striking could mean we finally see Jones getting tagged cleanly. If Jones can grab a hold of Machida he should get the takedown but this is a very intriguing style match.

Also remember Machida has a lot more weapons than Rampage did with his stand up game.

Jones did not like those couple of leg kicks Page landed, if Machida mixes things up he may have a chance. Also dont take it as a given Jones can get Machida down, Machida is an underated grappler.

I really hope Machida wins, but I understand why Jones is favourite.

• Paid Members
Also remember Machida has a lot more weapons than Rampage did with his stand up game.

Jones did not like those couple of leg kicks Page landed, if Machida mixes things up he may have a chance. Also dont take it as a given Jones can get Machida down, Machida is an underated grappler.

Oh yeah Machida's movement and Sumo background makes it very hard to take him down, Tito didn't come close in their fight and Shogun couldn't either and he's got really underrated takedowns. Shogun has taken down the likes of Coleman, Liddell and Hendo who all have strong wrestling backgrounds but he couldn't take Machida down. Rampage showed it is possible to take Machida down though. It won't be easy but I think Jones could do it aswell.

I've got a feeling this might go the distance which will be interesting seeing as Jones hasn't gone 5 rounds yet.

I really like Jones as a fighter but I'm hoping for

dragoooon.gif

Then again if Jones wins we might finally see that Jones vs Rashad fight. We can't lose. If Machida wins then I'd love to see Machida vs Hendo for the title.

EDIT- love that sig jim :thumbsup:

Oh yeah Machida's movement and Sumo background makes it very hard to take him down, Tito didn't come close in their fight and Shogun couldn't either and he's got really underrated takedowns. Shogun has taken down the likes of Coleman, Liddell and Hendo who all have strong wrestling backgrounds but he couldn't take Machida down. Rampage showed it is possible to take Machida down though. It won't be easy but I think Jones could do it aswell.

I've got a feeling this might go the distance which will be interesting seeing as Jones hasn't gone 5 rounds yet.

I really like Jones as a fighter but I'm hoping for

dragoooon.gif

Then again if Jones wins we might finally see that Jones vs Rashad fight. We can't lose. If Machida wins then I'd love to see Machida vs Hendo for the title.

EDIT- love that sig jim :thumbsup:

Thanks :thumbsup: , I loved Chute Boxe at this point, so much so I have tracked down the classic T-Shirt from this era that the dude on the right of Wand is wearing. This must have been taken in 2004/2005 when I first got into the sport as Anderson is absent. It took me a while to notice Cyborg in the background.

I really hated the Rampage fight with Machida. I don't have that a big a problem with the scoring system but I turned off that fight feeling that Machida had been robbed.

The first two rounds were very close and I had the final round where Machida dominated a 10-8, he should have at least got a draw, maybe if he had not been so hesitant in the first 2 rounds he would have won so I guess who has to take some blaim. The Shogun fights may have made him a little gunshy.

Besides that fight and the Shogun fights, Machida has looked top notch. The Thiago Silva and Rashad fights are scary with how much he dominates, and Couture could do nothing to him last time out. I am a firm believer that the Shogun that turned up against Jones was at 50-60% and that Rampage was a excellent style match up for Jones with how 1 dimensional Rampage is.

I am not saying that Jones is overated, he is certaintly the best at the moment but if anyone can beat him out the current crop it is Machida, if Machda fights like he did against Couture and Rashad we could have a massive upset on our hands.

• Paid Members

Ion television is airing 4 prelims for this show. Dunno what that means for us, still probably have to stream them.

This is how it looks now

Pay per view main card:

-Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida

-Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

-Tito Ortiz vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

-Brian Ebersole vs. Claude Patrick

-Mark Hominick vs. Chan Sung Jung

ION TV prelims:

-Igor Pokrajac vs. Krzysztof Soszynski

-Jared Hamman vs. Constantinos Philippou

-John Makdessi vs. Dennis Hallman

-Yves Jabouin vs. Walel Watson

Facebook prelims:

-Mark Bocek vs. Nik Lentz

-Rich Attonito vs. Jake Hecht

-John Cholish vs. Mitch Clarke

Glad Makdessi's getting on TV. I've really enjoyed his striking style from what I've seen of him so far.

Apparently Frank Shamrock will be cornering Brian Ebersole for his fight Saturday. Bet he'll be sucking up to Dana for a job.

As for the card, I'm fully on the Black House bandwagon for Machida and the Nogs.

29967_400085127230_77726452230_4650601_7359781_n.jpg

I don't see any of the Nog's or Machida getting a win personally.

Funnily enough, I think that there are basically three fighters in the light-heavy division who could beat Jones, and they are Henderson, Evans & Machida. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Lyoto wins this fight, although knowing what Joe Rogan's reaction on commentary would be I'm not sure if I want it to happen.

Archived