Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

JR is still going ahead with his one man shows and other signing events this coming week in Orlando.

Dude needs to take some time off. Wouldn't surprise me to see that he has a new podcast air this week too.

A lot of stress for a man with Bells Palsy

Edited by ShaneApollo

JR is still going ahead with his one man shows and other signing events this coming week in Orlando.

Dude needs to take some time off. Wouldn't surprise me to see that he has a new podcast air this week too.

Seriously what's your game with JR?

Seriously what's your game with JR?
I think he should take time off and be with his family.

When his mother died, the stress brought about his second bout of Bells Palsy. It can be made worse with stress.

Just not sure that performing numerous one man shows the week his wife died is healthy, especially for a man with an illness such as his.

Edited by ShaneApollo

Fucking hell, some people on here have been suspended for less.

For what? For expressing concern for a man in his mid 60s, whose wife just died, and who has an underlying illness that is triggered by stress, performing numerous one man shows and autograph signings.

And don't give me the whole "some people grieve by going back to work" thing.

Not everybody works by getting up in front of a large audience and talking for hours and travelling for hours in airplanes.

I think it's a perfectly rational concern.

Edited by ShaneApollo

To be fair to JR he seems the type who likes to surround himself with fans so WrestleMania is probably his christmas in the sense that he interacts with fans from around the world, watches some shows and does his thing, from his point of view its probably the best thing he can do right now to get through his wifes passing, busy week, lots of interaction, will probably be close to friends in WWE too. In some respects it will hit him harder afterwards you would imagine. 

• Paid Members

He's an old wrestling person as well. He's sort of made that bed years ago. Spending all your adult life around Bill Watts and Vince McMahon will give you that thought process. That mentality of never missing a shot no matter the circumstances. I'm not saying this to be morbid, just what I imagine is the truth, that JR was a power player during the years people were dropping like flies in the business and showed little sympathy for how their lives turned out (should clarify having no sympathy, doesnt mean he was happy they died, just that he felt the WWF didnt need to step in for what they felt as personal choices). Rightly or wrongly he seems to have that "get back on the horse" mentality about him. There's no reason why you should miss a booking. I mean he barely took any time off during the time he got Bells Palsy either. Just got taken off TV and put on the earpiece to help the announcers out. As tragic as it was, I didnt expect him to miss his speaking shows at Mania. If that's what helps get him through it, he should do what he feels he should do.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

He's an old wrestling person as well. He's sort of made that bed years ago. That mentality of never missing a shot no matter the circumstances. I'm not saying this to be morbid, just what I imagine is the truth, that JR was a power player during the years people were dropping like flies in the business and showed little sympathy for how their lives turned out. Rightly or wrongly he seems to have that "get back on the horse" mentality about him. I mean he barely took any time off during the time he got Bells Palsy either. Just got taken off TV and put on the earpiece to help the announcers out. As tragic as it was, I didnt expect him to miss his speaking shows at Mania. If that's what helps get him through it, he should do what he feels he should do.

This. When my father in law died after fighting Dementia/motor neurone my wife was off work for 4 days. She was self employed which obviously doesn't help, but she found work took her mind off things. It's a way of coping

True. Perhaps people just grieve better by going on auto pilot.

I know when my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, he simply continued on with work. Went in the very next day. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember where his parking space was, and had to come back home.

Whilst I agree that getting into work can help take your mind off of it, it is a little different being able to bury your head in your keyboard in an office and having to entertain people in a light hearted stand up routine. I also find it weird he was plugging a podcast with Kevin Nash on his twitter just after tweeting saying his wife had died.

Although from listening to a few podcasts and seeing him speaking in the past, he seems like the type to be able to get through a week like this by keeping busy, perhaps he's even relieved that it is Wrestlemania week so that he gets away from home and takes his mind away.

• Paid Members

It's not about taking your mind off it. It's about maintaining structure and an element of normality.

He's holding up the walls after the foundations have been taken away.