Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

Steve Austin addressed a potential WrestleMania 32 match against Brock Lesnar on the latest episode of his Steve Austin Show podcast.

Regarding the exchange between Austin and Paul Heyman at the end of his recent WWE Network podcast, Austin said he didn't know what Heyman was going to say and that he went into promo mode because it was right for the Stone Cold character. However, Austin said he did not mean to raise the expectation of the fans and his intention was not to set up a match with Lesnar.

Austin added that he and Brock would be doing different things going forward and said he wanted to make it clear that he was not trying to build to a WrestleMania 32 match with Lesnar.

It seemed fairly obvious to me that he was just doing it to entertain on the podcast, I thought Meltzer's "AUSTIN DOING A PROMO MEANS THEY'RE DOING THE MATCH" overreaction was stupid, and others who went along with him. It was probably a case of mass wishful thinking causing people to think they were seeing more than they were seeing. I hope the match does happen though.

• Paid Members

The actual tweet.

@HulkHogan: Like I said the Blackhawks are in a whole lot of trouble,they should take their puck"punk" and go home,CM can show them the way brother HH

Punk's full response, channeling the spirit of Reddit:

"You mispronounced the team captains name and didn't even know the coaches name. You're a hack.Shut the fuck up or I'll wreck you @HulkHogan"

Christ, he's a petulant little bitch.

Edited by PunkStep

On the podcast, as great as the promo was, it seemed to be his way of showing guys how to do a promo - and they talked about the art of the promo before.

I fucking love Austin. Loved Heyman's hitting the ropes story. Only in the past few years or so have I appreciated Austin giving it everything in selling and feeding. I wish some of the newer wrestlers would take note - and of course look to his intensity on the offence and 100% being his character.

On the podcast, as great as the promo was, it seemed to be his way of showing guys how to do a promo - and they talked about the art of the promo before.

I fucking love Austin. Loved Heyman's hitting the ropes story. Only in the past few years or so have I appreciated Austin giving it everything in selling and feeding. I wish some of the newer wrestlers would take note - and of course look to his intensity on the offence and 100% being his character.

Mr Anderson studied Stonecold. ;)

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

• Paid Members

According to wrestlingobserver.com, Chris Hero wrestled a 3+ hour Gauntlet match for charity on Sunday night.

Surely that's some kind of record?

Depends how far that you want to go back. In the early years of pro-wrestling matches went for hours with relative frequency, although this was partly due to matches being best 2/3 falls as standard. Pretty sure Ed 'Strangler' Lewis once wrestled for 6 hours in a match causing almost all of the audience to leave.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
Regardless of his intention, I'll be a bit gutted if he doesn't do a retirement match at 32. Just seems the perfect chance to go out on a high.

"Retirement match?" "Go out on a high?" This reads as if he won't have already been retired for 13 years by the time WrestleMania 32 comes around. I'd have thought for one of the best careers in company history, the ideal way to go out would have been flat on his back in an exciting match against his greatest rival when both still had something in the tank. Which is exactly what happened.

Austin's a smart dude who understands the business as well as anyone. There is NO WAY that wasn't intentional to build a match at Mania.

You're having a laugh. Brock Lesnar is a human wrecking ball that only wrestles one way. That way is not conducive to having a safe match with a 50 year old man with a surgically-repaired neck having his first match for 13 years.

I know the sun's come out, but Jesus.