Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I like JR a lot, but I agree that he should never have stood for all the shit he took from Vince over the years. His excuse for it has always been that he was a character playing a role for an entertainment product, but anyone could see that there was more to it than that. He's much better off out of the company now but I would welcome his return to wrestling should Jeff Jarrett or some other promotion offer him a spot. For all his faults I still rate him more than anyone else the WWE use on commentary at the moment.

• Paid Members

I like JR too but rate Lance Russell above him, great voice and added to everything he called. Knew how to make something a big deal too whereas I was never a big fan of JR's trademark over-reactions. Don't really care for Gordon Solie.

I don't see JR calling wrestling outside of WWE ever again but if I was Jarrett he could do worse than bring him in and team him up with someone like Larry Zybysko, two recognizable names who I think would work well together. I think I might be in the minority of loving Lazza Z's commentary in WCW though.

• Moderators
There is a rumor they actually want to buy the whole company but it's from shitty sources.

The talk earlier was that AMC were interested in Raw, so I'm assuming at some point, someone wasn't paying attention and made a new rumour.

Incidentally, AMC and Raw would be a really interesting fit.

• Paid Members

From the Torch:

WWE's stock price soared to another all-time high on Thursday, which financial outlet Seeking Alpha attributed to a rumor of AMC Networks interested in buying WWE.

Shares peaked at $31.90 on Thursday afternoon when the rumor circulated in the investor/financial community.

WWE's stock price then fell below $30, nearing Wednesday's closing price.

The rumor comes at a time when WWE is negotiating a new TV contract with current partner USA Network and other potential suitors.

It also follows a seemingly innocuous question to WWE financial executive George Barrios last week about whether WWE is interested in a merger considering the current value of their shares.

At the time of the interview with BusinessWeek, Barrios said they are "not in merger talks."