Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I liked Luger. He had plenty of good matches. The Flair matches from 88-90, Steamboat and Pillman in 89, Hansen in 90, the Superbrawl tag match with Sting vs Steiners. Granted he was in with top talent and you might say carried but I never thought Luger looked out of place in those matches, he held up his end.

I thought some of his later WCW stuff was good as well. I enjoyed his title matches with Hogan in 97, Bret in 99 and his tag run with Sting in 96 threw up fun TV matches against the Steiners, Flair & Anderson, Nash & Hall and Harlem Heat.

His book should be a good read. He mixed with pretty much everyone who mattered in his era.

• Moderators

Luger was great. In 88 he was amazing, same for 89. 1990 was shit, but him and Spivey had a cracker in 91. 96 and 97 were solid for him too. He just fell to the "he has muscles so he's shite" opinions of the late 90s and early 00s. Lex was quality on his day.

• Paid Members

The latest Layfield Report radio show is pretty great. JBL knows everything. This week he talks about Football and the Suarez incident. Shit load of Man United chat, especially JBL's admiration of Sir Alex.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
but him and Spivey had a cracker in 91.

That's a good example, I forgot about that match. It was really good, and it's not like Spivey had a rep for carrying opponents so the 'Luger was shit when he wasn't carried' point falls on it's arse a bit there.

• Paid Members

UK adult movie star Michelle Thorne will be appearing as Scott Steiner's valet on the first night of Preston City Wrestling's weekend double-header 4 weeks today. WHAT A PAIR etc etc. (the Steiner Brothers are appearing as a tag team on both nights).

• Paid Members

What a strange signing. Not complaining, because Michelle Thorn is in the Ian Hall of Fame, but you would think she's not coming (oo-err) cheap. Seems a bit pointless for someone who isn't going to sell anymore tickets to that audience, but still. The whole sucking cock on camera thing isn't the best image you'd want to portray either. What was the motivation behind that signing? Seems so out of the box for a wrestling promotion.

I'd like to make a suggestion. Play "Welcome to the Jungle" when the Steiners come out. That always went down well live when they used it.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Are Scotty's bridges completely burnt with both majors now? I suppose it's just surprising it took this long, but I'll miss the crazy old bastard. I loved pretty much everything he did in TNA.

Highlights include:

- clobbering-time battles with Joe, and mat-wrestling with Angle on his first arrival.

- turning himself face with the Impact crowd by busting out a Frankensteiner in a cage, and cementing their love with a Screwdriver on Amazing Red

- Smashing the tar out of Bobby Lashley in one of that chump's best matches

- calling Joe "fat". A lot.

- having superb tag matches with everyone, particularly Steiners v 3D

- being the best thing about the Main Event Mafia angle

Towards the end he definitely looked knackered, and his body had started to look weird (he looked like a man wearing a Scott Steiner foam body costume that didn't fit right). But I loved him, he was just the right sort of crazy to make the show entertaining.

I thought Michelle Thorne is married to a UK wrestler?

Don't know his name but she has attended loads of shows he has appeared on (but not been part of the shows) and is a big WWE fan.

• Paid Members
I thought Michelle Thorne is married to a UK wrestler?

Don't know his name but she has attended loads of shows he has appeared on (but not been part of the shows) and is a big WWE fan.

She might have been with Stefan Hard (who was part of a tag team in Dropkixx called 'Hard Love' with Johnny Love). Can't remember if that was her or Alex Adams. Or both, maybe.

She's a big wrestling fan, anyway.

What a strange signing. Not complaining, because Michelle Thorn is in the Ian Hall of Fame, but you would think she's not coming (oo-err) cheap. Seems a bit pointless for someone who isn't going to sell anymore tickets to that audience, but still. The whole sucking cock on camera thing isn't the best image you'd want to portray either. What was the motivation behind that signing? Seems so out of the box for a wrestling promotion.

I'd like to make a suggestion. Play "Welcome to the Jungle" when the Steiners come out. That always went down well live when they used it.

Does it make any difference to you if the show sells more tickets with her on it?

No offence to the promoter but I wouldn't give two hoots if she sold no tickets or a hundred.. so why should you?

• Paid Members
Does it make any difference to you if the show sells more tickets with her on it?

No offence to the promoter but I wouldn't give two hoots if she sold no tickets or a hundred.. so why should you?

Splurging money on needless name additions to stroke ego sounds like the first step on a slippery slope and paying money on talent who won't draw is a valid conversation point on a wrestling forum.

Particularly in an area like British wrestling.