Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

http://www.wwe.com/shows/royalrumble/article/royal-rumble-returns-to-alamodome-first-time-20-years?sf37544689=1

WWE announced today that the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, will host Royal Rumble 2017 on Sunday, January 29, 2017. This marks the return of Royal Rumble to the Alamodome for the first time since 1997.

Royal Rumble is one of WWE’s biggest pay-per-views of the year and officially kicks off The Road to WrestleMania. The event will be highlighted by a 30-man over-the-top-rope Royal Rumble Match featuring WWE Superstars from both Raw and SmackDown LIVE, where the winner will receive a title opportunity to headline WrestleMania 33 in Orlando, Florida on April 2, 2017.

Tickets for Royal Rumble 2017 will be available starting Friday, October 14, at 11 a.m. ET/10 a.m. CT through all Ticketmaster outlets,www.ticketmaster.com or by calling 1-800-745-3000. All tickets are subject to service charges and facility fees.

The Alamodome previously hosted the 1997 Royal Rumble, where more than 60,000 fans witnessed WWE Hall of Famer “Stone Cold” Steve Austin win the Royal Rumble Match and WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels win the WWE Championship

I wonder if they actually manage to sell the Alamodome out this time?  I remember on Cornette's timeline of 97 he claimed they gave away a shit load of comps to fill it up for 1997 Rumble . I like it when they use these bigger venues for their shows as it creates more atmosphere. 

Now that they're making a bigger deal out of SummerSlam surely they'll be thinking about moving the PPV into domes or stadiums also.  I know it's booked for the Barclays Center again next year.

Edited by The Clint

• Paid Members

Summerslam would make sense as they'd be more likely to have the weather for it than a stadium based Rumble or Survivor Series, plus it'd spread things nicely. Mania in March, Summerslam in September. I guess it'd depend on the feasibility as well.

• Paid Members

I'm surprised they haven't started doing this for the Rumble and SummerSlam already to be honest. They are still very big PPVs (there's a gulf between the two and the rest of the PPVs) and the average WrestleMania attendance has increased a lot over the past 20 years. The B-level PPVs are held in the same (or similar) sized venues as the next big two, so I reckon they could probably get away with moving them to stadiums.

They papered 97 like fuck didn't they, but if there's one thing WWE don't seem to struggle with these days it's live attendances.

• Paid Members

Live attendances are still fairly strong, especially counting overseas tours, but on a continued downward trend in the states. I'm sure they'll be making this a 'destination weekend' with Raw and NXT bookending the Rumble from the normal building they run in San Antonio. But they'll struggle to fill this unless they price it very low and give plenty of tickets away.

It's so close to Mania and they need a lot of people to travel to these shows to sell them out. I'm excited they are running the Alamodome again but just hope it's not half empty and they don't get too carried away with the pricing. If they keep ticket prices manageable, they'll make a fuck-ton of money off merchandise with 60,000 people in there. Orlando for Mania won't be a problem with selling out even at high prices as it doubles up as a holiday destination so people are happy to travel from far and wide for Mania and for the city.

• Paid Members

I wonder if they actually manage to sell the Alamodome out this time? I remember on Cornette's timeline of 97 he claimed they gave away a shit load of comps to fill it up for 1997 Rumble . I like it when they use these bigger venues for their shows as it creates more atmosphere.

Now that they're making a bigger deal out of SummerSlam surely they'll be thinking about moving the PPV into domes or stadiums also. I know it's booked for the Barclays Center again next year.

Even though it was heavily papered, they sold a shit load of (cheap) tickets for the 1997 Rumble. Remarkable considering live business was pretty dire in the second half of 1996.

TNA ran at the Alamo Dome a few years back (one of their 3 "big" PPVs,think they did about 7,000. The building can be configured to accommodate several different sports for Basketball it can go between 20,000-39,000 and American Football 65,000-72,000 etc, so it depends what they go for.

I'm guessing the building goes for a decent rate, presumably lower than the San Antonio Spurs arena.