New wrestling figures!

King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Always thought that was the best Hogan Hasbro myself. Springy punch Hogan was too small and pale looking and you couldn't do much with bearhug Hogan. The gorilla press one was OK but I liked that one in the pic better. 

• Paid Members

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Always thought that was the best Hogan Hasbro myself. Springy punch Hogan was too small and pale looking and you couldn't do much with bearhug Hogan. The gorilla press one was OK but I liked that one in the pic better. 

You are absolutely correct. For me it represents the best Hulk Hogan, the one where he was smashing the fuck of prayers and vitamins

hulk-hogan.jpg

Bringing this back to new figures and info. Comic Con in the US is on the 20th, and it typically brings some exclusive news regarding new lines, not much in the way of rumours, but will be interesting to see what gets mentioned.

This however was interesting, the Mattel Elite 50 series includes Rhino and Warlord amongst others. Both Rhino and Warlord are $17.99 on major figure online stores... but what the fuck is this about... they are advertising a warlord in a Rhino package, calling it an error and are charging more for it.

Now the thing is, you would sometimes come across this kind of thing in the wild. For example, here is a Piper Hasbro on a warrior card, now this is an official error that you could buy in stores, obviously there was a limited run before they realised their mistake and a few still exist in tact, adding a lot if value due to rarity.

The fact that stores in association with Mattel are knowingly selling 'error' carded figures, for more money during standard release... that doesn't sit well with me and ruins the mystique. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if they have been packaged this way on purpose, advertise as rare error version, just to grab a few extra dollars. 

Screenshot_20170710-234644.png

2zq65qh.jpg

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Here's one, in 1995, the pound shop had a load of Sgt Slaughters in with foreign writing on the cards. Like dozens of them on the shelves and probably more out the back. What's the story behind that? I imagine there were thousands of Slaughters around the country being sold in pound shops. Only him as well. Can only think they sold shitty in Germany or somewhere.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Here's one, in 1995, the pound shop had a load of Sgt Slaughters in with foreign writing on the cards. Like dozens of them on the shelves and probably more out the back. What's the story behind that? I imagine there were thousands of Slaughters around the country being sold in pound shops. Only him as well. Can only think they sold shitty in Germany or somewhere.

Pretty much that Ian. WWF wasn't as popular/accessible in certain European countries back then, but they still tried to sell merch. Knock off stuff was also more rife and more affordable. 

For collectors of moc figures, it's much cheaper to obtain foreign carded figures so many start of collections with foreign cards. They eventually sell on when more desirable expensive English cards turn up on the market.

The pound shop etc just jump over mass cheap product. It's tricky to know how many were made of each figure, but sgt along with Jake Roberts are two of the cheapest figures you can get due to how many are kicking around.

On 7/11/2017 at 8:01 AM, HarmonicGenerator said:

As it was Slaughter, would the GI Joe connection have anything to do with it? More recognisable even to countries that didn't have WWE?

These might be the FunSkool figures - bootlegs of the Hasbro ones, almost identical but made for £1 shops and the like.

Funny how stores buy-in figures though, isn't it? Smyths near us has a shitload of Magnum TAs. I reckon I'm the only one who has ever took one of the rack. I know Mattel will have a strategy on the ratio of figures per boxed assortment, but do stores not have much of a say???

9 hours ago, Warrior said:

These might be the FunSkool figures - bootlegs of the Hasbro ones, almost identical but made for £1 shops and the like.

Funny how stores buy-in figures though, isn't it? Smyths near us has a shitload of Magnum TAs. I reckon I'm the only one who has ever took one of the rack. I know Mattel will have a strategy on the ratio of figures per boxed assortment, but do stores not have much of a say???

I think they aim the Elite figures more at the collectors market which is why they do a lot of exclusives in that range for SDCC and the like. Ringside Collectibles are doing a Chris Jericho with a scarf and The List. Thing is, shipping from the States obviously costs a packet. I miss the days growing up when they cost around £8 new and they'd always have a weapon/belt/other accessory with them. And yeah, they'll also have the chases they do with the Basics that come with a Slammy or a belt. Plus I guess that's the issue when they do someone kids won't know as well as the other legends.

ROH have put their series 2 up on their website, not only are they $5 cheaper then everywhere else, their shipping is under $20 for a set of four.

Therefore it is like they are giving you free shipping if you was to buy them for the $30 that they are elsewhere.

Even then you would have to pay a lot for the shipping on top after paying $120, so good news for those who like them