raw Discussion Thread

xear

I found the whole thing underwhelming, my main complaint is that despite everyone talking about "a new beginning" and suchlike it never really felt like it, I would liked to have seen a new stage and entrance ramp setup to represent the new era that the company has moved into.

Rey's title win was predictable, there was something incredibly suspicious about the way Cole would continually bury Rey while singing Miz' praises, more so than usual, about three minutes into the match it dawned on me that Rey would be going over and lo and behold he did. Then when Cena was announced as being Rey's opponent in the main event it was obvious to me that Cena would be winning the belt back. JR being Hunter's new signing sucked the wind right out of the audience, then Cole buried JR which served no purpose other than to amuse Vince who we all know loves embarrassing JR. R-Truth continues to be shit and his exchange with Hunter was cringe inducing.

Now for the really important stuff: Was it just me or did Punk's return get virtually no response from the audience? His new music has gone from being something unique to generic rock music and when it played the audience barely reacted because they didn't know who was coming, then when Punk walked out there was a little cheer, but nothing near what you'd expect given the circumstances. Punk and Cena face to face folding their belts aloft was a good closing visual but Punk needs to cut the promo of his life next week to explain why he's back and what his intentions are. If I was a more suspicious person I might suggest that Punk's music was intentionally changed to lessen the impact of his return, now Hunter can go back to Vince and say "y'hear that lousy pop? I told you the kid wasn't good enough". But how likely is that, eh ;)

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
His new music has gone from being something unique to generic rock music

Now, you can say what you like about how effectively it was used in a WWE setting last night (which wasn't that great in terms of reaction, I think perhaps they overestimated how many people in the arena would recognise it as his ROH theme and therefore the significance), but Living Color are anything but a generic rock band. Particularly in comparison with the producers of Punk's previous theme (which I actually quite like as a wrestling theme).

I found the whole thing underwhelming, my main complaint is that despite everyone talking about "a new beginning" and suchlike it never really felt like it, I would liked to have seen a new stage and entrance ramp setup to represent the new era that the company has moved into.

Rey's title win was predictable, there was something incredibly suspicious about the way Cole would continually bury Rey while singing Miz' praises, more so than usual, about three minutes into the match it dawned on me that Rey would be going over and lo and behold he did. Then when Cena was announced as being Rey's opponent in the main event it was obvious to me that Cena would be winning the belt back. JR being Hunter's new signing sucked the wind right out of the audience, then Cole buried JR which served no purpose other than to amuse Vince who we all know loves embarrassing JR. R-Truth continues to be shit and his exchange with Hunter was cringe inducing.

Now for the really important stuff: Was it just me or did Punk's return get virtually no response from the audience? His new music has gone from being something unique to generic rock music and when it played the audience barely reacted because they didn't know who was coming, then when Punk walked out there was a little cheer, but nothing near what you'd expect given the circumstances. Punk and Cena face to face folding their belts aloft was a good closing visual but Punk needs to cut the promo of his life next week to explain why he's back and what his intentions are. If I was a more suspicious person I might suggest that Punk's music was intentionally changed to lessen the impact of his return, now Hunter can go back to Vince and say "y'hear that lousy pop? I told you the kid wasn't good enough". But how likely is that, eh ;)

Given that the 'new music' is Punk's old indy theme, I reckon the chances are slim that it was deliberate to show him up. Punk got a far bigger pop than Cena when they held their respective belts up so I don't think he's got too much to worry about just yet.

They're not in Chicago anymore, considering he's the bloke who's been the bad guy for a couple of years and last seen running off with the title you'd expect boos more than anything, i'd expect a lot would be caught on the fence and the younger audience would hate him for ruining Cena's moment. That aside I thought the reaction was fine for a bloke who's been gone a week, especially as others have said during the holding up the title bit.

I didn't recognise it as Punk's ROH theme, mainly because the audio on a lot of Punk-era ROH stuff was abysmal and I found it virtually impossible to identify tracks. The only Punk theme I remember was the AFI one.

I didn't recognise it as Punk's ROH theme, mainly because the audio on a lot of Punk-era ROH stuff was abysmal and I found it virtually impossible to identify tracks. The only Punk theme I remember was the AFI one.

Like others have said, it fits in with 'giving Punk everything he wants', including getting to use his old non-WWE music. And I agree with Statto, Living Colour are hardly generic rock.

• Paid Members

I think you should stop watching if it's being so predictable, Vito. I think you should stop polluting these threads with your stale "that was SOOOOO predictable" post-show comments also.

You wont but I think you should, seeing as how you're clearly not enjoying. You're on par with Dillkid.

CM Punk continues to be the best thing about the show for me, and he was only on it for about 2 minutes! I'm curious as to why he's switched to his ROH theme, there has to be a bit more to it than just a nice change of music.

Other than that, I thought it was a bit of a borefest. Rey & Cena had a good match though, which I was glad about because I find it hard to watch Rey these days. I'm glad he only held the title for an hour or so.

On the subject of the WWE Title, fucking major disappointment to see that they just used the same design for the new belt. It's just a replica of the actual WWE Title, poor effort there. That design has outstayed it's welcome with me.

Boring old mid-card matches again. It's a shame that guys like Ziggler don't have anything better to do.

Del Rio is gash.

2 hours of CM Punk next week please WWE :)

I think you should stop watching if it's being so predictable, Vito. I think you should stop polluting these threads with your stale "that was SOOOOO predictable" post-show comments also.

You wont but I think you should, seeing as how you're clearly not enjoying. You're on par with Dillkid.

If I'm correctly guessing the outcome of matches a few minutes into them then yes I will call it predictable. I'm not going to sit and masturbate over a show that I have to significantly lower my standards to enjoy. Why should I have to stop posting just for expressing an opinion? There's a block function, if you find my posts that upsetting use it.

• Paid Members

To be fair to Dill, on this occasion at least, earlier in the thread he had nothing but positive things to say about this week's Raw.

• Paid Members

Raw was great I thought. Good to see Jim Ross back, Rey Mysterio was world class. Mysterio was just brilliant the way he wrestled. I dont get anyone who has a go at that. He was as good as anyone you will find in wrestling today. Triple H was funny and did well. Really enjoyed that. His skit with R-Truth was great. The CM Punk thing I can take or leave because if they wanted to keep him off TV thats all well and good to build it up. But on the other hand its great that he's back on TV and next week should be class, so fuck it. I really could give a shit if they ruin the buyrate or the ratings by rushing it. As long as I'm enjoying it (and I am). I've learned over the course of the last few years to just enjoy it and if it fucks up it fucks up. If it was shit, its easy to complain, but it was a good way to get him back on the show for the next two weeks.

Zack Ryder didnt get the reaction they had hoped. I'm sure the casual viewer at home had an ever more puzzelled reaction. Triple H might have to do this, after seeing the reaction Ryder got:

triplehshovel.gif

• Paid Members
CM Punk continues to be the best thing about the show for me, and he was only on it for about 2 minutes! I'm curious as to why he's switched to his ROH theme, there has to be a bit more to it than just a nice change of music.

Other than that, I thought it was a bit of a borefest. Rey & Cena had a good match though, which I was glad about because I find it hard to watch Rey these days. I'm glad he only held the title for an hour or so.

On the subject of the WWE Title, fucking major disappointment to see that they just used the same design for the new belt. It's just a replica of the actual WWE Title, poor effort there. That design has outstayed it's welcome with me.

Boring old mid-card matches again. It's a shame that guys like Ziggler don't have anything better to do.

Del Rio is gash.

2 hours of CM Punk next week please WWE :)

As has been mentioned, it was perfect for his return. It makes sense, Triple H caved in to CM Punks demands and one of them was his ROH theme (a real, non-WWE owned song).

As has been mentioned, it was perfect for his return. It makes sense, Triple H caved in to CM Punks demands and one of them was his ROH theme (a real, non-WWE owned song).

Yeah it makes perfect sense, and it was brilliant, I'm just wondering if Punk will actually make note of it next week or something, like explaining that this is actually the case or something.

• Paid Members

Although WWE has used Cult of Personality before. They used it for Steve Austin's Hall of Fame induction both on TV and on DVD released (and possibly on the new Steve Austin DVD if they include his HOF induction). Maybe they already bought the rights and had it in stock and thought "why not use it".

Archived