raw Discussion Thread

xear

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, I'm only going off what I've seen and heard about collectors of all sorts of stuff. Books with a solitary spelling mistake, stamps with one perforation less than usual, figurines with a limited edition costume (remember that Warrior-designed one that cost about $500?), etc. Maybe Pitcos can expand - he's a figures collector, I'm sure he's heard the odd story or two about those who pay over the odds.

Yeah, I know Warrior's deals with the figure companies usually involve them agreeing to make limited edition runs of certain figures, where they only make twenty and Warrior sells them on his website for silly money.

There was a time when figures with the wrong name on the packaging and whatnot would be worth something, but I don't think they are now. Otherwise I'll kick myself for not buying that Edge & Big Show two-pack that said it was Cryme Tyme last year.

I wouldn't have thought a t-shirt would fetch $300 but the event-specific one (considering the rarity of it and the hype around the event itself) is bound to stay far more valuable than the generic one they're selling now.

I think the wrestling figure that goes for stupidest money at the moment is the Mattel elite Jeff Hardy that was meant to be in the launch series of their WWE line that came out last year. WWE cancelled the figure when he got done for the drugs, though, and it's a rare find now. Only one has ever been seen in the package, and some lad bought it on eBay for about $600 and took it to a Jeff signing. Jeff wrote "FUCK WWE" on it because they'd refused to give him a sample figure of it so that signing was the first time he'd seen it. A few more have turned up without packaging, nicked from the factories in China. They go for about $500 a time as well.

• Paid Members

Not to derail the thread, but what kind of stuff have you got Pitcos? Is it just modern stuff or have you got any of the old figures. Your fans need to know. Speaking of which, I was listening to Zack Ryder on that Colt Cabana podcast and they were talking about the time they were all stuggling in FCW and Ryder bought the whole LJN rubber figures on ebay for 4 grand. That made me chuckle.

I just watched it and thought it was a great show, and my fave RAW for a good few months. Loads of cool shit happening, returns, 2 good title matches, and Punk.

Rey/Cena in particular was class. Maybe even my tvmoty so far. A PPV match somewhere down the line would be nice.

• Paid Members

I've heard lots of stories from guys on the UK scene, and from US guys visiting the UK, that Punk was often seen as a bit of an arse, being sarky and snide towards people if he disliked them straight away, on sight. Having only briefly met the guy once at FWA New Frontiers 2004 over a merch stall, I didn't get to speak to him long enough to have anything of a scooby as to whether that was true or not. But judging from his promo style, his seeming ability to nail the hotter divas, and his overall look, I can imagine him being like that - one of those sardonic American "dudes" who mock everything around them, and don't always realise they might be being rude.

• Paid Members

Up until he shagged Maria, for me he was shagging the acquired taste lasses like Daffney and Tracy Brookenstein. He's no Test. Love Test or hate him, the bloke had Stacy Keibler and Kelly Kelly. If you offered my death in my early 30s a European title run and giving Ms Handcock a sore throat, I'd take it.

• Paid Members
Up until he shagged Maria, for me he was shagging the acquired taste lasses like Daffney and Tracy Brookenstein. He's no Test. Love Test or hate him, the bloke had Stacy Keibler and Kelly Kelly. If you offered my death in my early 30s a European title run and giving Ms Handcock a sore throat, I'd take it.

I thought he was doing Kelly Kelly at one point? And Mickie James?

The problem is that the indy/internet stuff was only ever going to appeal to a small minority. To keep it going for too long could've actually killed Punk's momentum that he picked up around MITB. I mean he got over based on what he did on TV after all.

A lot of people agree that keeping him of TV longer could have built him up better but for me it wasn't the fact that he was brought back so soon but in the style it was done. The way he came to the ring in his wrestling gear, down the ramp and to music (even if it was his ROH music) just screamed "Wrestling Angle!!!" in a storyline that seemed to be breaking new ground.

So far this angle had been done to perfection with all the small details played out beautifully. Last night's Raw seems to have lost sense of those little things (and a few big things in my opinion) to the point that this now seems like any other wrestling angle that you see every month.

If Punk had stormed the ring during Cena's title presentation (possibly with Colbana in tow) and security chasing him down you would believe it. If a taped interview had aired during a match (with the storyline that he had broke into the production truck nWo style) you believe it. Last night's segment just made things a bit flat for the section of fans watching who thought that this was a ground breaking moment in wrestling.

Archived