raw Discussion Thread

xear

The product would immeasurably suffer if, within three weeks, they'd built up a brand new Summerslam main event with no real heat going in.

You can't just say 'ratings prob won't change', or 'it probably won't make any difference to SS', to justify your own opinions. The WWE can't afford to be so blas

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Cole kept mentioning him then it would have lost the shoot aspect of it all, even though it was all obviously an angle. And everyone was told they couldn't mention Punk's name.

Seems odd how HHH made the Mysterio v Miz match then Cena v Mysterio match only for Punk to show up.

Makes me think it will turn out either a) Vince signed Punk as is last official act. or b) The Raw GM signed Punk.

If Cole kept mentioning him then it would have lost the shoot aspect of it all, even though it was all obviously an angle. And everyone was told they couldn't mention Punk's name.

Seems odd how HHH made the Mysterio v Miz match then Cena v Mysterio match only for Punk to show up.

Makes me think it will turn out either a) Vince signed Punk as is last official act. or b) The Raw GM signed Punk.

If Vince was to come bacck then maybe reveiling him to be the GM would make sense now.

have you not seen the Comicon video? it wouldnt surprise me if that surfaced on WWE TV at some point as the explanation for Punk being back

what percentage of RAW viewers knew who John Laurinatus was before four weeks ago?

That was kinda the point I was making. Laurinatus being there inhanced the shoot aspect of it all. Same as then not mentioning Punk's name. Not showing the Comicon video and not mentioning Punk's name were also designed to make it more authentic. Having Cole slag Punk off in his heelish manner would have made it look like an angle.

• Paid Members
The last episode of Long Island Iced Z! has had 44,000 views. The episode before has had 107,056 and I believe the most watched episode of the series had just over 400,000 views.

Even at the very top end of the scale, if we assume that those views only came from the US then that would mean, on average, 8000 viewers per state. Assuming all of those viewers bought tickets to the show, only half the arena would be aware of Zack Ryder. Considering those maths are nonsense, and the figure is probably far, far lower it is not surprising that he's not getting killer pops.

One day, soon, people will start to realise just what a small, at times insignificant, fraction of the audience the internet makes up.

It's very difficult to accurately quantify though, isn't it? The internet has impacted on WWE in the past, for example, when Matt Hardy got fired during the whole Edge/Lita debacle. I'd imagine at some point over the past few years most fans have used the internet to find out more about a storyline that's hooked them, or to find out what's happened to a wrestler who's not been about for a while. It's just what people do. But the real question is how many people do it regularly?

On another note, now could be as good a time as any to turn John Cena heel. CM Punk is emerging as a huge babyface, and if that seems to be translating to merchandise sales a Cena heel turn could quite possibly capitalize on the momentum WWE's built up, and get people talking - thus increasing ratings further.

I wonder if Cena's rather unfair title match against Rey Mysterio is part of a slow build towards what's to come? Punk's essentially a full face already, but a "double turn" of sorts at Summerslam could be massive. Of course, the Money in the Bank briefcase of Del Rio's could become a hinderance in any long term title storyline involving Cena/Punk.

wonder if Cena's rather unfair title match against Rey Mysterio is part of a slow build towards what's to come? Punk's essentially a full face already, but a "double turn" of sorts at Summerslam could be massive. Of course, the Money in the Bank briefcase of Del Rio's could become a hinderance in any long term title storyline involving Cena/Punk.

Love the double turn idea for Summerslam. I was thinking earlier that now Punk appears to be alot more over than Cena then it would be the perfect time for Cena to turn. And what better time to do it. Cena as a heel going into WrestleMania would be excellent television. Rather than the annoying babyface who couldn't care less every time he is screwed out of the WWE Title.

Archived