raw Discussion Thread

xear

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't mean to start an argument or anything. It's just there's been a HUGE amount of fanwank booking pre and post-Punk return, so it's getting a little tiresome, especially when the majority of it is utterly terrible shite that would never make it on-screen in a million years .. and for very good reason!

But in short, those 'conditions' were absolutely ridiculous, and smack of something WWE would do to telegraph results. And not in a good way.

• Paid Members
Didn't mean to start an argument or anything. It's just there's been a HUGE amount of fanwank booking pre and post-Punk return, so it's getting a little tiresome, especially when the majority of it is utterly terrible shite that would never make it on-screen in a million years .. and for very good reason!

But in short, those 'conditions' were absolutely ridiculous, and smack of something WWE would do to telegraph results. And not in a good way.

Nah, no bother.

I agree the conditions were a bit crap, but like I said, was a bit stuck for better ones at the time. Was more interested really in how the episode could be planned out with Punk's presence on the go-home show.

It should probably be noted that Bombcar is actually one of the few consistently interesting posters left on this forum.

It's pretty irrelevant who is 'interesting' or not. This wasn't a Carbomb assassination or anything, so he doesn't need you chiming in.

I wasn't even slightly interested by your post, I was more concerned with the blatant bating of Bombcar by someone else who said he 'didn't know when to shut up'. I was simply adding that I'm glad he doesn't because the quality of posting has gone donwhill on this place on recent years and anyone with anything interesting to say, rubbish idea or not, should be cherished.

I don't get people complaining about the logic of the story.

Punks character has been that of a master manipulator who always has a plan and uses everyone around him to get to the point his ego is satasfied with. He managed to time getting the title shot on the day his contrat expired he spoke out of turn knowing it would get attention and make him a priceless asset, he used John Cenas's need to do the right thing against him.

Punk doesn't want to be out of WWE, he wants to be THE face of the company because he thinks he is the greatest wrestler in the world.Thats why he showed up in his gear with his world title looking like a total wrestling champ.

Timing and image...thats what Punk is all about.

• Paid Members

It's all good, people. daz, thanks for the kind words. Repo, I think you're a good poster, and sorry for the derailment.

Anyway, let's get back on-topic.

Does anyone else think Punk needs just a little more to cement himself at the top as a perennial main-eventer, or has he already reached it with the MITB match and the subsequent coverage? I think that, even if he doesn't beat Cena, he could do with just a little bit more of a rub - maybe have a match where Cena makes him look ace before he beats him. I'd rather Punk win, of course.

Also, I think it's a testament to the MITB match that people are talking about how hot a property Punk is right now, and no-one has even mentioned that it wasn't a clean win. That's a real elevation, right there.

• Paid Members
Also, I think it's a testament to the MITB match that people are talking about how hot a property Punk is right now, and no-one has even mentioned that it wasn't a clean win. That's a real elevation, right there.

It might have something to do with interpretation of clean - there were indeed shenanigans, but Punk pinning Cena directly after Go To Sleep with no out-and-out cheating, foreign objects or Cena taking actual abuse from an interfering party, is probably cleaner than we might have expected. Punk taking advantage of Cena leaving the ring when he had Punk compromised... ehh. It's even more forgivable when Cena was about to win via Montreal double-cross rehash.

Not saying it was actually clean, it clearly wasn't, but there was significantly less gloss taken off than some of Cena's previous dethronings.

• Paid Members
It's all good, people. daz, thanks for the kind words. Repo, I think you're a good poster, and sorry for the derailment.

Anyway, let's get back on-topic.

Does anyone else think Punk needs just a little more to cement himself at the top as a perennial main-eventer, or has he already reached it with the MITB match and the subsequent coverage? I think that, even if he doesn't beat Cena, he could do with just a little bit more of a rub - maybe have a match where Cena makes him look ace before he beats him. I'd rather Punk win, of course.

On my part, I don't really see it as a non-clean win because despite a distraction leading to the opening that Punk needed, there was no outside interference in terms of someone decking Cena, and also when you factor in that the match had slowly evolved from Cena's for the taking into a match that Punk had every chance of winning. Whilst it wasn't clean as white, it was certainly a lot less dirty then I fear it will be next time. My main theory right now is that Miz is going to screw Cena out of the invertible title unification match whilst Punk goes into a programme with Mysterio

Edit : Apologies air_raid, didn't preview first

Punk's tantalisingly close, but he might fall victim to the horrible wrestling rule of 'giving someone their win back', even when the person in question doesn't even need that win back.

I'm not sure i'd give Punk a chance at SS but I think that losing, and then being institutionalised again within the WWE, could undermine most of the hardwork done so far.

Even at the time of watching, I really didn't consider it a dirty win. He did what any guy would've done in his position, and it certainly didn't come across as cheating to win. There's a lot more screwy conditions he could've won under, other than the guy running back in.

But yes, certainly a fully clean win over Cena would be fantastic for him.

• Paid Members

If Punk could leave SS with both belts, and debuts a newly designed strap the following night on RAW, after, hopefully, a pretty clean win and is given a proper run as champ then I think that would be enough to secure his position at the top of the card. My main worry is how far he might fall once he loses the strap because there seems to be a worrying trend of not knowing what to do with talent after they drop the WH or WWE title

• Paid Members

Oh, I'm not disputing the cleanliness of the win at all, it's the entirety of my point. Cena did have him in a winning hold which wouldn't have been broken if not for the distraction, but the quality of the match and work Cena did with Punk was so high that it came across as more like an Eddy/Brock (venomous) than a Rock/Austin.

• Paid Members
Cena did have him in a winning hold which wouldn't have been broken if not for the distraction

Nonsense, it was going to be simple for the Best Wrestler In The World to get out of that ;)

Archived