raw Discussion Thread

xear

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
This years might be as Rock will probably be involved somehow.

What makes you say that? If he is I guess I'll be watching!

But nobody was suggesting keeping Punk off SS, though - only that they keep him off live TV until the go-home week, and build up the match in the mean-time with WWE broadcasting vignettes of Trips on the phone or talking to lawyers, etc., while also showing footage of Punk with the belt in other places, sticking two fingers up at WWE, like he did at that ComicCon.

That wouldn't really work. When do they announce that the SummerSlam match is signed, at the end of Raw six days before the event? If they're building up to SummerSlam for the next two weeks saying "well we might have a Cena vs Punk match as the main event, if we can get Punk signed" and not doing anything else with the WWE Champion, then everyone (or at least those of us who are clamouring for the Youtube videos and tweets and online continuation in the first place) would know Punk was coming back anyway and there'd be no suspense.

• Paid Members
Ah, yeah, sorry. Still, keeping him off TV that long wouldn't have worked for me because, in that case, you might as well keep him off TV longer and build to something after 'Slam (which I actually wouldn't have minded at all, and as you say continue with the off-TV stuff he'd been doing.) As it is, if you're going to do Cena/Punk 2 at SummerSlam I really think you need him on TV a week or two before the go-home show.

Reason why I disagree (i.e. that I think they should have just brought him back on the go-home) is that it strikes me that WWE are now fully behind this angle, and when they do that, they tend to pull out all the stops, and are able to sell almost anything to the fans; they've got the creativity and the production to do it, as the HBK/Taker II build-up vignette demonstrated.

Obviously, I wouldn't suggest bringing him back for the last few minutes of the go-home RAW, but I would've thought they'd have been able to easily turn Punk/Cena II into must-see by booking the entirety of that RAW into a two-hour episode of Punk showing up at Triple H's request, various skits of him making demands, Triple H bending over backwards to accommodate them, etc.

Here's something I would've done (yes, fantasy booking, but just read):

Punk shows up with his lawyer/agent, behaving all obnoxious, or, at the very least, unwilling to deal. We see him go into an office with Triple H and his team sat across the table in a suit - sort of like the Taker/Heyman-as-Lesnar's-agent skit.

As the show goes on, it's interspersed with scenes from this office, with Punk and Trips thrashing out a deal to have Punk re-sign, and agree to a match with Cena to unify the belts. We get to see all sorts of tactics, expressions and emotions expressed by both guys, interjections from the teams, etc.

Meanwhile, Cena's story for this show only is that he's been challenged by, say, The Miz or Sheamus, and he's got to defend the belt against them. He's getting ready, but his mind is distracted by Punk's return, and what he thinks Punk might want in exchange for a rematch, not to mention the fact that his loss to Punk is what's caused all this - it's preying on his mind.

Last skit between Punk and Triple H - Trips, now frustrated, says something along the lines of "Goddammit, we're doing everything we can to accommodate you, what is it that you want?" Punk says: "I'll tell you what. But for the moment, that stays in this office. Someone get the door..." One of his team closes the door on the camera.

Cena finishes his main-event defense of his belt against the opponent (obviously hard-fought), and while he's celebrating, CM Punk's new music hits, and Punk comes out with a clearly upset Triple H in tow. As they face each other down, Punk gets on the mike, and reveals that he's re-signed - and his condition for re-signing?

This all came about because Punk was sick of Cena being the Golden Boy. So, it's only apt that his return is precipitated by Cena's fall from grace. As a result, if Punk beats Cena at SummerSlam, Cena can NEVER, ever, challenge for the WWE title again, until the day he retires.

Potential alternative condition: he announces that Triple H has agreed to join forces with him; like the McMahon/Helmsley era, the Punk/Helmsley alliance will dominate and carry all before it.

This all came about because Punk was sick of Cena being the Golden Boy. So, it's only apt that his return is precipitated by Cena's fall from grace. As a result, if Punk beats Cena at SummerSlam, Cena can NEVER, ever, challenge for the WWE title again, until the day he retires.

That's exactly the sort of thing that's sure to alienate the people who love this storyline most. Either Cena wins, or they renege on the stipulation about two weeks later.

• Paid Members
That's exactly the sort of thing that's sure to alienate the people who love this storyline most. Either Cena wins, or they renege on the stipulation about two weeks later.

Yeah, was a bit stuck for a really good condition that would keep Punk face, to be honest. I'm sure there are plenty, but the rest of how I wrote it, I don't think would be too bad; it doesn't call for any non-entities to be debuted, it doesn't really advocate Punk leading yet another faction (even in the alternate, Punk's alliance with HHH is unwilling, and becomes a storyline in itself), and it uses the three main participants only.

• Paid Members
Because Triple H and Punk were discussing a new contracted for more than about 5 minutes, and only got it signed after the main event had started?

LOL. That would be worse than trying to paper over it.

After 16 hours of talks punk signs with just enough time to get changed and make it to the ring before raw goes off air?

• Paid Members
I really wish people would stop trying to book this storyline. It's making for some terrible ideas.

Part of being a fan is fantasy booking. And if my idea is terrible, please say why; it's more fun that way.

The whole "fantasy booking is shite, you don't know better" attitude is all a load of bollocks anyway. Sure, for the most part, fans don't know, but that doesn't mean everyone hasn't a clue. I'm most likely not WWE-calibre, but I've got my own, limited experiences of creative writing and performance, so a default of "you're just a fan, and therefore don't know anything" is just rubbish.

Part of being a fan is fantasy booking. And if my idea is terrible, please say why; it's more fun that way.

The whole "fantasy booking is shite, you don't know better" attitude is all a load of bollocks anyway. Sure, for the most part, fans don't know, but that doesn't mean everyone hasn't a clue. I'm most likely not WWE-calibre, but I've got my own, limited experiences of creative writing and performance, so a default of "you're just a fan, and therefore don't know anything" is just rubbish.

This

We as fans are more qualified to book the WWE than these Hollywood Writers they have who know bugger all about wrestling.

• Paid Members
This

We as fans are more qualified to book the WWE than these Hollywood Writers they have who know bugger all about wrestling.

Now hold on, I most certainly did NOT say that. That's so far in opposite to my opinion that it's out of sight.

There's a massive world of difference between fantasy booking on a forum and actually writing a show for broadcast.

Now hold on, I most certainly did NOT say that. That's so far in opposite to my opinion that it's out of sight.

There's a massive world of difference between fantasy booking on a forum and actually writing a show for broadcast

Don't get me wrong, the writers are excellent at the structure of the show and what goes where. I am talking about idea's for angles etc...

• Paid Members
I really wish people would stop trying to book this storyline. It's making for some terrible ideas.

Unfortunately Carbomb doesn't know when to shut up.

Quote function, before his inevitable "wah wah, ignore button" response.

Archived