raw Discussion Thread

xear

• Paid Members
As if they would've/should've kept the biggest thing in wrestling off TV that long, that's just idiotic.

I've no qualms about him being back already, WWE have been spot on with this whole angle so far - I'm not going to start doubting them now.

Who said anything about keeping him off television?

I'd have had 'fancam' sections of RAW for a good few weeks, 'sent in by fans' etc of Punk's appearances with the title, I'd have made more use of the social networking flavour the angle looked to be taking.

Punk being off air for a week just makes all the things he spoke out about benign.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Hot Shotting fucking sucks however. I was loving the show, but CM Punk showing up again was far too soon for my liking.

Same for me. I might've missed something, but there was no mention of the ComicCon thing which I was hoping for. Cult of personality was great, yes, but bringing Punk back was far too early, and in my opinion, makes the stuff what happened since he "left" seem totally redundant now.

I like it... keeping people guessing / talking and hinting at the main event for summerslam. I know I'll be tuneing in next week.

I love the Living Colour theme also goes with the Punk finally getting what he wants angle. Good Raw :thumbsup:

I have to agree that it was too soon. It was so good to hear Punks old ROH music on there but thats where i thought they would and should have left it. It would have been a good tease for people who knew it was his old theme. The live crowd didnt know why the song was playing and im sure some people at home wouldnt either so it wouldve been a nice surprise for them when they found out and get them excited about a possible return by him on a future show.

I was surprised how unenthusiastic the crowd seemed by his return as well considering how hot they'd been all night. It wasnt the best or loudest reaction TBH.

Too soon. Also if he's not employed, then security should have been all over him. At this point feel we have seen the peak of this. No way cena is losing two ppvs in a row to punk

• Paid Members
I was surprised how unenthusiastic the crowd seemed by his return as well considering how hot they'd been all night. It wasnt the best or loudest reaction TBH.

I thought he got a pretty good reaction, particularly when he and Cena held up their respective titles.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the show. A return through the crowd might have been better for Punk, but ultimately that's a fairly minor issue. I think they had to have him involved or mentioned in some way today purely because they were crowning a new champion, and Punk would obviously be unhappy about that. They probably did hot-shot slightly if this is his full-time return, but it really closed RAW on a hot angle and had me really excited about what's coming next.

Too soon. Also if he's not employed, then security should have been all over him.

Presumably since he had theme music and titantron he IS employed.

• Paid Members

Well i wondered how long it would take for them to screw this up. 2 weeks

Punk though the tron with music and video? Holding the belt?

If they pull the "HHH rehired me" Story then why have a title bout? If they say punk was there of his own back then its even more stupid.

The only way this will work will be if Vince has hired CM punk.

Im sure the UKFF will shout me down but if TNA had tried to pull that shit it would have been slagged off by everyone.

Once again an ending happens on Raw and loads of people cry about it when it's obviously one of these situations when all will be explained the following week. Have a little patience!

It was a much better show than last week - I'm not fan of Cena or Mysterio but that was a great main event which kept me guessing, hats off to them. There were some subtle changes to the show already - proper alcohol referencing, the Divas acting a little more provocatively, Jim Ross hooking up with The King again - and things were a lot more entertaining. Ziggler's 3-minute match with Evan Bourne was more exciting than all last weeks' tourney matches put together. Cole's rant and Triple H taking the piss out of R-Truth ruled. And also, The Miz's backstage promo before the main event was awesome. It's like he was almost stating he was on CM Punk's side.

Don't just focus on the last few minutes, I think the rest of the show deserves a mention.

Yes is was a good show, I would of said WWE could of ended one Crowning a 3rd WWE champion tonight with Del Rio or the return of Punk.

Was a good raw they could of cut down the Triple H segment down a little but cant complain.

FFS.

Bringing him back was probably too soon for my personal tastes, but makes perfect sense. Especially in light of the fact that I suspect my original fears about this feud (that the regular audience were missing some of the 'social network' points of it) were coming true, as it took the massive bait 'n' switch prompt of JR's return to get the crowd really thinking about CM Punk; there were about four people shouting his name in the Miz/Rey match.

Similarly, WWE is primarily a television vehicle and, whilst we scour the internet for the super cool shit they've been doing, they need their current hottest property, and Summerslam main event, back on the flagship show. Had they continued to carry out this feud on Twitter, or youtube, I really think it would have lost all momentum in everyone but the hardcores. And, whilst we would have loved it it wouldn't have been a great business move going into one of the biggest shows of the year.

Also, having crowned a new champion whilst Punk held the original is reason enough for him to come back, I think, considering they've hinged his current gimmick on being the 'best of the world'; they simply need to push that his psyche refuses to allow that notion to be challenged in the eyes of the public.

What else? ...Oh yes, 'Cult of Personality' was awesome. Perfect. And, the titantron interspersing images of Punk with images of JFK was awesome. Oh, and the person who said he didn't get a reaction is a mental; There was no initial pop because people didn't know what was going on, but he got three times the reaction of Cena when he lifted the title.

It was a great show in general I thought, we were spoilt by two main event calibre matches bookending the show; the return of Morrison/JR and some incredible new music and aggression from Ziggles.

The bait 'n' switch with JR was really, really clever booking. I can't put over enough how highly I rated that booking. First of all the 'the name i've been hearing all over the WWE universe...' stuff planted the CM seed and got the crowd going, the unveil of J.R was nostalgic enough to please the crowd but not big enough to take CM Punk back out of their mind and it put the ball up in the air for the final segment to knock it out of the park. Awesome.

I've just realised that Summerslam is only two Raw's away. So, in reality, they could maybe have waited another week at most; but it doesn't change the fact that he was needed back on TV soon.

*EDIT* Anyone else thinking, at Summerslam, Triple H pedigree on Punk, Cena wins 'both' titles and we move on to ADR/Cena throughout the winter and Triple H/Punk going into next year...?

Archived