raw Discussion Thread

xear

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Bringing him back was probably too soon for my personal tastes, but makes perfect sense. Especially in light of the fact that I suspect my original fears about this feud (that the regular audience were missing some of the 'social network' points of it) were coming true, as it took the massive bait 'n' switch prompt of JR's return to get the crowd really thinking about CM Punk; there were about four people shouting his name in the Miz/Rey match.

Similarly, WWE is primarily a television vehicle and, whilst we scour the internet for the super cool shit they've been doing, they need their current hottest property, and Summerslam main event, back on the flagship show. Had they continued to carry out this feud on Twitter, or youtube, I really think it would have lost all momentum in everyone but the hardcores. And, whilst we would have loved it it wouldn't have been a great business move going into one of the biggest shows of the year.

But this isn't five years ago - apart from social networking being more ubiquitous now, there's also the added element that WWE could very easily have integrated the Internet aspect of this storyline into their TV programming - they've publicised a lot of web stuff before, so it's not as if they have no precedent. Instead, they shot their load early.

But this isn't five years ago - apart from social networking being more ubiquitous now, there's also the added element that WWE could very easily have integrated the Internet aspect of this storyline into their TV programming - they've publicised a lot of web stuff before, so it's not as if they have no precedent. Instead, they shot their load early.

Oh, absolutely, but that's not really the point I was making. I was putting forward an argument that suggests Punk needed to be brought back on to TV, not how they should have done it. Nor was I suggesting that they shouldn't have used youtube/Twitter et. al. on their flagship shows; I was suggesting that using the internet solely to promote the, presumably, main event programme of Summerslam wasn't going to be a viable option in anything but the extremely short term.

Similarly, at the end of the ComicCon skit, If you discount the throwaway Stephanie jibe, they actually opened up the possibility that Triple H/CM Punk could have some sort of dialogue, however uneasy, so it's not as ridiculous as some are suggesting that he's back on the show.

That 'shooting their load early' thing is nonsense. WWE is a business, a business designed to promote its pay-per-view broadcasts (through the medium of television) to demand the highest possible revenue; with only TWO Raw's to go until Summerslam, when do you honestly suggest they bring back their current hottest property, in time to stoke the fire for the title rematch...?

We really need to disconnect our ideal expectations of the feud from what the business can reasonably deliver. It would have been lovely to have a few more weeks of CM Punk's world tour, and thinly veiled wink-wink-nudge-nudge references but, realistically, they need to have him back on TV, in person and interacting with his nemesis ASAP.

• Paid Members

I ruined the end of Raw by going on Facebook, tit.

Still it was a cracking show, with a hot crowd.

I personally don't mind CM Punk coming back after only a couple of weeks away. After listening to Meltzer go on about it, WWE were never going to not have CM Punk booked for Summerslam. He's the hottest act in wrestling at the minute. Plus, a world where CM Punk is on my TV every week is a good one. I really don't think it matters that he was away for such a short time, Austin got fired or suspended several times and returned the week after and the crowd didn't care (well apart from a few moaning on the internet). People saying Punkster got no reaction are mental, when he came out then lifted the title the fans were going mental. OOOOOOOHHH, his new/old theme and titantron is fucking cracking - love that tune. Cena v CM Punk II (ok more like 22) at Summerslam, yes please!

Great to have JR back. He improves broadcasts so much when he is on them. He's the voice you want to listen to when you've got blokes in their underwear pretending to hit each other.

Triple H was great too. I hope they do a mini comedy feud with Truth and Triple H (like E&C and Commissioner Foley back in the day). Oh and I like Daz' idea of Triple H costing Punk the title at Summerslam (Cena will get his win back).

In the last few weeks, WWE has had multiple cliffhangers that forced you to watch the next show. Everyone filled in the voids with their own thought "perfect angles and directions".

Therefor I understand the dissapointment of some, because you are marks, pretending to be smarks. WWE is a business, they are all about making money and PUNk vs Cena @ SummerSlam will make money.

I watched RAW, and I loved it. " The cult of personality" is aboslutely perfect for Punk in this fase of his career.

• Paid Members

I have mixed feelings in the regards to Raw's ending.

From a storyline point of view it is confusing. You would assume HHH is the one who re-signed Punk given that he is now in charge, but why would he also knowingly go ahead with a WWE title match (twice) whilst knowingly having the real champion signed? Perhaps as supremo states, all will be explained next week?

Additionally from the clip above with Punk claiming "I'm back!", I couldn't help that would have been so much more satisfying after 1 or 2 more weeks of absence.

However, I did like the stare down with the two belts.

I didn't like Raw...wrong time to debut new music I thought, mild reaction. Whereas if he came out to this fire burns he would have got an off the chart reaction and maybe could have debuted new theme music next week...but as others have said when he held up the belt it was great.

These Alberto Del Rio teases are gonna fucking annoy me, he gets a crap reaction for someone who is supposed to be a top heel, don't get me wrong i think hes great in the ring, but hes gonna have to do more than his wee gesture and talk about his destiny.

Ugh, John Cena. Why couldn't Triple H have started the show last week and said Cena was re-instated, then he could have won the Tournament instead of having the tournament, have Rey Rey win, then render it all worthless by beating him.

Zack Rider was cool though, but come on Michael Cole, are you serious bro? Does nobody else think that a wrestler beating up Cole is just a bit crap. Its not funny and he already got his commupance for being a twat ages ago, let him be a commentator. Also I really don't like J.R anymore, there I said it.

Best thing about the show was Punk obviously and John Morrisons return.

• Paid Members
I have mixed feelings in the regards to Raw's ending.

From a storyline point of view it is confusing. You would assume HHH is the one who re-signed Punk given that he is now in charge, but why would he also knowingly go ahead with a WWE title match (twice) whilst knowingly having the real champion signed? Perhaps as supremo states, all will be explained next week?

Additionally from the clip above with Punk claiming "I'm back!", I couldn't help that would have been so much more satisfying after 1 or 2 more weeks of absence.

However, I did like the stare down with the two belts.

Tons of kayfabe reasons.

1, Triple H being a business man liked the idea of two WWE champs facing off at Summerslam.

2, Punk only signed during the Cena match. Spending all night backstage with Triple H thrashing out a deal. The production team is that great that they knocked up a titantron in a few minutes.

3, Triple H couldn't back out of the Miz/Rey match so went ahead with it. Realising he had Punk signed, he wanted Cena v Punk so went with Cena v Rey at the end.

4, Triple Hs new character really is that of a man with two imaginary mates. He calls them "Big Kev" and "Kid" and they told Nutter H that fucking shit up, like the good old days, is the way to go. Expect Triple H and his two imaginary mates to show up at the next MSG show and break the 'rules'.

Simple explanation for Punk coming back- Triple H isn't your typical authority figure, and Punk could have been brought back as a sort of corporate anti-hero. HHH promises to give him the spotlight and recognition in return for beating his hated rival Cena and bringing the real WWE Championship back. Of course, HHH could screw Punk at Summerslam and reveal the entire thing was just a ploy to get the title back. Punk is then ousted from WWE once again (I believe he signed a short term contract extension). He then returns at the Rumble courtesy of Stephanie as a face, and challenges Triple H at WM28

• Paid Members
That 'shooting their load early' thing is nonsense. WWE is a business, a business designed to promote its pay-per-view broadcasts (through the medium of television) to demand the highest possible revenue; with only TWO Raw's to go until Summerslam, when do you honestly suggest they bring back their current hottest property, in time to stoke the fire for the title rematch...?

By "shooting their load early", I meant bringing him back to live TV so soon. I seem to have misunderstood you, because I think we both agree they could've kept him on TV without actually bringing him back until, say, the last RAW before SS.

I'd like to see them go down the route of Triple H having been schmoozing CM Punk, giving him a ridiculous amount of money to resign as well as promising that he gets his rematch with Cena, stipulation of his choosing and rather than saying he's the best in the world to his fans online he gets to show it to the world. You could have Punk acknowledge that he's happy he walked out, he achieved what we wanted; made 'wrestling' relevant, got people talking about CM Punk being the best in the world, got to directly challenge the hegemony of Cena within the WWE and did something that not even Austin could do, he rid the WWE of the old regime, spearheaded by Vince McMahon, which said that being a talented wrestler wasn't good enough for the WWE. Hell, you could even have Punk claim to be the sole reason that Zack Ryder is on TV now.

Then, at Summerslam, you switch it up and have Triple H turn, nail Punk with the pedigree and virtually 'give' the WWE title to Cena. Triple H can say that he learnt everything from Vince McMahon, only the fact that Triple H is a wrestler himself means he was able to do what Vince couldn't; manipulate CM Punk, tell him the things that all wrestlers want to hear and get him back on board to show that NO MAN is bigger than the WWE. You could even give reference to the massive pay cheque Punk got by having Triple H acknowledge that its worth it to watch CM Punk rot, with no chance of ever getting a WWE title shot again.

Of course, if they don't want Cena to play stooge in this scenario, he can kick off and say that he didn't want to win this way before waltzing off into a feud with ADR.

I know internet booking is invariably shite, but I personally would like to see a Punk/Triple H (anti-hero/authority figure) feud that runs for a while. You could even go down the Vince/Austin route and have Punk have to bat away challenges from various heels put up to it by Triple H, before finally winning some sort of match at the Rumble and getting himself a one-on-one match with Hunter at WMXXVIII.

Personally I am not happy with the way they done RAW last night. Since they were going to bring back Punk this soon anyway, he should've came out at the top of the show and said to scrap this title tournament because he's the real WWE Champion.

Giving the belt to Rey for 2 hours and then back to Super Cena is a total waste of a title reign and damages the integrity of the title.

If it's Punk vs. Cena at SummerSlam and Cena wins I think I'll spew!

Delighted to have John Morrison and JR back though.

Archived